Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: 2001 Lakers vs 1986 Celtics

Quote Originally Posted by nycelt84
    I agree with you 100%, I don't understand all the love for the '86 Celtics when the '84 team was actually better. And you made a slight mistake Maxwell was the starter in '84 and McHale actually came off the bench.
    McHale, Ainge, Wedman, Buckner, Carr> Walton, Sichting, Wedman, Vincent, Kite
    I'll agree that the '84 Celtics had a deeper bench than the '86 Celtics. But just because they have a deeper bench doesn't mean they are the better team. The '85 Lakers were also more deeper than the '87 Lakers but most people consider the '87 team to be better.

Gotterdammerung, how were the '84 Celtics more dominant? They won their games by an average by only 6.5 Points. The '86 Celtics won their games by an average of 9.4 points. In 1984 playoffs it took the Celtics 7 games to beat a Knicks team that only won 47 games during the regular season. In 1986 The Celtics only lost 3 games during the entire postseason.

And you say Robert Parish's skills declined....well I can counter that argument by saying Kevin McHale was a better player in 1986 than in 1984. The '86 Celtics also had a better Starting 5 than the '84 Celtics.

Larry Bird himself said the greatest team he ever played with was the '86 Celtics without a doubt.

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

The '84 Knicks were better than the '86 Bulls, Hawks, and Bucks. Bernard King was a top 5 player that year and they were a very good team. The '84 Celtics beat better teams in the Knicks, the '84 Bucks>'86 Bucks, and they topped it off by beating a Lakers that was vastly superior to the '86 Rockets.

The '84 Knicks were better than the '86 Bulls, Hawks, and Bucks. Bernard King was a top 5 player that year and they were a very good team. The '84 Celtics beat better teams in the Knicks, the '84 Bucks>'86 Bucks, and they topped it off by beating a Lakers that was vastly superior to the '86 Rockets.
    Stop being dellusional. The '86 Bucks were much better than they were in '84. They won their games by an average a 9 Points and the Celtics swept them. Bernard King was great but from top to bottom the '86 Bucks were a better team than the '84 Knicks and '84 Bucks.

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

[COLOR="DarkGreen"] 1986 Celtics[/COLOR]

SHAQ= WOULD DOMINATE PARISH OFFENSIVELY (but be in Foul Trouble because Parish could Also Score)

McHALE = WOULD DOMINATE GRANT OFFENSIVELY AND DEFENSIVELY

BIRD= WOULD DOMINATE HARPER OFFENSIVELY AND GET TRIPLE DOUBLES

BRYANT = WOULD DOMINATE AINGE OFFENSIVELY AND DEFENSIVELY (except from Pick and Rolls)

DJ = WOULD DOMINATE HIS LAKER PG DEFENSIVELY AND CREATE SUPERIOR OFFENSIVE THAN HIS ADVERSARY

But you guys know where the Key of the Series would be?

TRIPLE DOUBLE THREAT "MR CLUTCH", LARRY BIRD....:)

OUT OF ALL THOSE PLAYERS, THERE IS ONLY ONE THAT COULD MAKE HIS TEAMATES JOBS EASIER AND MAKE HIS TEAM MATES BETTER THROUGH LEADERISHIP

And Yes DJ.

DJ WAS ALSO CLUTCH AND HIM WITH "MR CLUTCH" BIRD = BOTH THE BEST PASSERS IN THOSE TEAMS
    Last edited by Sir Charles; 07-22-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Stop being dellusional. The '86 Bucks were much better than they were in '84. They won their games by an average a 9 Points and the Celtics swept them. Bernard King was great but from top to bottom the '86 Bucks were a better team than the '84 Knicks and '84 Bucks.
    I completely disagree with you. The '84 Bucks team had a real center in Bob Lanier and they had Marques Johnson who was still good for over 20 a game. Sidney Moncrief was also better in '84 he was already declining in '86. The '86 Bucks were very lucky to beat the Sixers in the 2nd round in Charles Barkley's breakout series.

I completely disagree with you. The '84 Bucks team had a real center in Bob Lanier and they had Marques Johnson who was still good for over 20 a game. Sidney Moncrief was also better in '84 he was already declining in '86. The '86 Bucks were very lucky to beat the Sixers in the 2nd round in Charles Barkley's breakout series.
    Bob Lanier was 35 years old in 1984. He was way past his prime. Sidney Moncrief was still in his prime in 1986, Moncrief made the All Defensive 1st team in '86. It was the 1986-87 season where he started to decline. The '86 Bucks didn't have Marques Johnson but they had Terry Cummings and Ricky Pierce. Paul Pressey also improved as a player by 1986.

The '86 Bucks were much better offensivley than the '84 Bucks. The '84 Bucks had a great defense in 1984 but they were one of the worst offensive teams in the NBA. In 1986 The Bucks offense and defense were both in the top 5 in the NBA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lax4422Chik1342
    If the 1986 Lakers had not shriveled against Houston despite Sampson prayer being answered, they would've whupped the Celtics as they did 2 of 3 times they faced each other. The 01 Lakers would've beat the 86 green too!

Obnoxious Laker fans...

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    I'll agree that the '84 Celtics had a deeper bench than the '86 Celtics. But just because they have a deeper bench doesn't mean they are the better team.
    It is not a necessary condition for a team to be superior, but it is definitely a factor, or a sufficient condition.

The '85 Lakers were also more deeper than the '87 Lakers but most people consider the '87 team to be better.
    Yes but there's another reason for that and you conveniently fail to mention why.

Gotterdammerung, how were the '84 Celtics more dominant?
    I refer you to my first post above.

They won their games by an average by only 6.5 Points. The '86 Celtics won their games by an average of 9.4 points.
    Yes but the league in 1984 was stronger than it was in 1986. Not every season is equal.

In 1984 playoffs it took the Celtics 7 games to beat a Knicks team that only won 47 games during the regular season.
    A transcendental player can overpower even the greatest teams - and that is credit due to Bernard King who was at his peak in the 84 playoffs.

In 1986 The Celtics only lost 3 games during the entire postseason.
    Impressive, no doubt.

And you say Robert Parish's skills declined....well I can counter that argument by saying Kevin McHale was a better player in 1986 than in 1984.
    How so? He only gained more minutes - which logically translates to better stats.

The '86 Celtics also had a better Starting 5 than the '84 Celtics.
    Perhaps, but immaterial: basketball is not a 5 man game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    It is not a necessary condition for a team to be superior, but it is definitely a factor, or a sufficient condition.

Yes but there's another reason for that and you conveniently fail to mention why.

I refer you to my first post above.

Yes but the league in 1984 was stronger than it was in 1986. Not every season is equal.

A transcendental player can overpower even the greatest teams - and that is credit due to Bernard King who was at his peak in the 84 playoffs.

Impressive, no doubt.

How so? He only gained more minutes - which logically translates to better stats.

Perhaps, but immaterial: basketball is not a 5 man game.
    Michael Jordan had an amazing series against Boston yet The Celtics swept the Bulls.

McHale was All-Defensive Team in '86. And in 1986 McHale only averaged 4 more minutes per game than in 1984.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Bumping.

The Celtics probably won't be able to stop Kobe and Shaq, but the 1986 Celtics were too much of a powerhouse to be beaten by the 2001 Lakers.

Parish would be solid. Shaq will probably get his, but Parish is a good scorer. Kevin Mchale will probably dominate and Bird will give some problems. DJ would take Fisher to the post or something. If they put Kobe on DJ, then Danny Angie might be a problem for them. Not to mention the bench that the Celtics have with Bill Walton being the sixth man of the year. The Cleltics could hurt you from every single position. Bird and Mchale are the superstars. And I don't really see the Lakers stopping them along with the other cast of the Celtics.

But it does depend on the rules tho. Celtics would constantly run and probably will tire out the Laker ball club. But the problem is that the Celtics are extremely good with the half court ball too. They almost had no weakness.
    Last edited by Micku; 11-26-2011 at 02:41 AM.

7-time NBA All-Star

1986 Celtics are much better. If 2001 Shaq/Kobe were the best duo ever the way they were playing in the playoffs as I believe they were, '86 Bird/McHale weren't far behind.

Yet the Lakers 3rd best player was Derek Fisher and only because he played way over his head during that run! Outside of Bird and McHale, Boston had at least 4 other players better than Fisher(Parish, DJ, Walton, Ainge)

2001 Lakers

Prime Shaq destroys the Celtic Bigs and turns them into dust.
    Fox/Kobe can handle defending the Celtic's perimeter players.

Game Over.

Ainge and DJ would handle Kobe.

You got Parish/McHale/Walton to take care of Shaq,

Who's gonna guard Bird, Rick Fox, lol.

Leaning towards the 01 Lakers. Their season record doesn't justify their post-season performance. They absolutely crushed their opposition. Shaq was unstoppable and was in his prime. He alone is the difference that probably would make the 01 Lakers win in a 7-game series.

The 01 Lakers absolutely dominated their opposition. They lead the league in Ortg, Drtg, efg%, Opp efg%, and point differential in the playoffs.
    Last edited by D-Wade316; 11-26-2011 at 02:50 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    2001 Lakers

Prime Shaq destroys the Celtic Bigs and turns them into dust.
    Fox/Kobe can handle defending the Celtic's perimeter players.

Game Over.
    Heh. Well, the 1986 Celtics are consider to had one of the best (if not the best) frontline in the history of the NBA.

I don't really see Fox stopping Bird since he did well against Rodman and Cooper, which they are among the best defenders in NBA history. DJ also went up against better defenders too I think. I think it would be extremely hard to for the 2001 Lakers to pull off since the Celtics don't really have a real weakness.