Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: Suggest me a good laptop

Get what you want.. mac or windows based is fine, don't get into the which is better if you're just using it for school and everyday use if you can afford a mac you'll be happy, if not there's a dozen other windows based laptops out there that are great too.. just make sure the programs you'd like to run are supported then go from there

we use both in my business, macs cost more but they last 3 times longer and don't slowly grind down to a halt..

we use dell at the track because they're tough and cheap the design software back at the shop is run on macs and the office is run on a old HP tower that we have kept alive with trips to frys, not much hp left in it...lol

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    You may want a laptop that has a 1080p screen, and at least 4 gigs of RAM.

If you don't mind spending a lot, go for a Mac. They have neat features for multitasking.

If you're cheap, go for a PC. There are plenty of places where you can find one. If you know your compy hardware, go to: http://www.xoticpc.com
    They have good prices and you can make your own build.

You can shop around ebay or amazon for one too. You could get lucky and find a lappy that's cheap and good.
    My budget is 1k, but I don't think a mac would be good for my work stuff. Only for the person things.

Any brand preferences? HP, Dell, etc? I want something with good battery life, reliable and can run high quality movies with good speed (RAM)

I just bought this from Amazon, had the best specs/price value. Just search on Amazon you will find whatever you want.

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-17-e0...+ram+radeon+hd

If your budget is 1k here is something that fits your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-TouchSmart-...inch+8gb+1080p

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

I just got the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Ultrabook and it is easily the best piece of technology I have ever owned. i7 processor, 8GB of Ram, the best screen resolution of any laptop (3200 by 1800) all for just $1,200. Amazing.

It's at the same time also a tablet that's portable and has tent and stand up mode.

A MacBook with the same specs and screen would cost upwards of $2600
    Last edited by EnoughSaid; 10-04-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Apple laptops are not overpriced once everything is considered. PC nerds are just hung up on specs to price ratio, but most PCs are cheaply made pieces of shit with nice hardware inside. Put one next to a Macbook and the quality difference speaks volumes.

OSX also runs much smoother than Windows on the same hardware, so the slight 'lack' in performance specs is usually a wash. Even if it isn't now, give Windows some time to bog down and that extra performance won't mean a thing.

That being said, of all laptops I've had I was the most pleased with my Dell Latitude. Dell's business line definitely shits all over their regular models.

I'm really happy with my MacBook Air. Great build quality, loooong battery life, very thin+light and really, really fast.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Surface Pro 3

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth

Surface Pro 3

Im thinking about getting one of these, I assume it has a USB port on there somewhere? I know some tablets dont, but maybe those are earlier models. I cant really see one on there in that picture so im curious to know .

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Im thinking about getting one of these, I assume it has a USB port on there somewhere? I know some tablets dont, but maybe those are earlier models. I cant really see one on there in that picture so im curious to know .
    Yeah it does. Even has HDMI and runs full windows.

NBA Superstar

i'm searching for one too,, but i already got a y500....need one just for office shit. like minimal stuff. been checking slickdeals but still waiting for something real good to show up.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
    My budget is 1k, but I don't think a mac would be good for my work stuff. Only for the person things.

Any brand preferences? HP, Dell, etc? I want something with good battery life, reliable and can run high quality movies with good speed (RAM)
    my daughter has an Asus we got her last year for christmas... for the price it's been great, not the fanciest thing going but I think it was like 350 bucks...

one thing I noticed is cd/dvd drives are not a given on laptops anymore, if you need an optical drive for programs/games make sure it has one...

do the Surfaces had a cd/dvd drive? anyone know?

people bitching about how much macs cost and then suggesting you buy a surface

that surface 3 is more expensive than a macbook unless you buy the version with the shitty little 64gb hard hard drive
    Last edited by Nanners; 10-05-2014 at 12:02 AM.

I have a MBA that I bought a few years ago used on Ebay for under $800. 13" i5, 4 gb of ram, 128 gb SSD, 13" screen. It's technically a 3 year old laptop but it's still running strong. Gonna replace the battery soon but that is a cheap $30 fix.

Never had any issues with it and I have gone through 4 different laptops in the span of 8 years with my ASUS netbook lasting the longest of all my PC laptops.

Never had much luck with Dell and HP but I would recommend Asus if you are going PC.

The Surface seem cool due to portability.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    my daughter has an Asus we got her last year for christmas... for the price it's been great, not the fanciest thing going but I think it was like 350 bucks...

one thing I noticed is cd/dvd drives are not a given on laptops anymore, if you need an optical drive for programs/games make sure it has one...

do the Surfaces had a cd/dvd drive? anyone know?
    No it doesn't.

Dell laptops are great, I bought a Dell studio 5 years ago for around $800 and it still works fine. Dell customer support is very good too which is another perk.