Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: How can Team USA recover from this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    The difference is the NBA and the teams own these star players while under contract. If you owned an NBA team, and held the rights to Durant's contract, would you want your franchise player risking injury in some event you won't even make money out of like the Olympics or World Cup?
    Poor choice of words. The owners don't own the players at all. They own teams. Players have "love of the game" clauses in their contracts, meaning they can play basketball on any court at any time during the year.

You'd have a point if they were playing football or hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Poor choice of words. The owners don't own the players at all. They own teams. Players have "love of the game" clauses in their contracts, meaning they can play basketball on any court at any time during the year.

You'd have a point if they were playing football or hockey.
    I know about the "love of the game" clause, and I agree players have a right to play for their country. Fiba and the NBA have come to an agreement on the rules governing NBA player participation in these events.

My original point is and the question I was posing to anyone here is : if YOU WERE AN NBA FRANCHISE OWNER, would you want your franchise player playing in these events?

Owners basically aren't getting anything out of this, except maybe some publicity. Sometimes, a young KD in the 2010 Worlds benefits your franchise by having him learn the ropes with Coach K and Team USA, but when your top player is now a veteran, having logged tons of minutes in the regular season and playoffs, there is not much benefit to see him out there if you are an owner.

If KD gets injured and loses one season, for example, OKC's done as a title contender this year.

Now, if you were an owner, is this a risk you are willing to live with?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    I know about the "love of the game" clause, and I agree players have a right to play for their country. Fiba and the NBA have come to an agreement on the rules governing NBA player participation in these events.

My original point is and the question I was posing to anyone here is : if YOU WERE AN NBA FRANCHISE OWNER, would you want your franchise player playing in these events?

Owners basically aren't getting anything out of this, except maybe some publicity. Sometimes, a young KD in the 2010 Worlds benefits your franchise by having him learn the ropes with Coach K and Team USA, but when your top player is now a veteran, having logged tons of minutes in the regular season and playoffs, there is not much benefit to see him out there if you are an owner.

If KD gets injured and loses one season, for example, OKC's done as a title contender this year.

Now, if you were an owner, is this a risk you are willing to live with?
    It's not really their choice. They don't OWN them. The players aren't slaves.

The owners PROFIT off the players from September till June. If 3 months go by where someone else profits off the players, will you be able to sleep?