Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA All-star

Default Re: Steve Nash is underrated

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Im not gonna lie 2007 was REALly crazy. Tha bullshit horry did was inacceptable and phucked up at tha same time. That was another asterisk title year for tha purrs.
    Metta World Peace's elbow on Harden wasn't any better.

I suppose we can say that Horry had put his reputation on the line

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Thomas is one of the most overrated players ever imo

Give me Nash (also I've seen a ton more Nash so I'm biased)

His failings on D are overblown. Typical nonsense lobbed at white players. He wasn't ever good but he wasn't tragic. He played on up tempo teams before people cared about D-efficiency and just looked at Opponent-ppg.

well, Nash has one of the best FT%, but he doesn't get to the line often.

I'll say this, and feel free to call me biased,

With Thomas, because of his stealing ability, he may bother his assignment enough in order for the help defense to get there.

I don't know if Nash allows you to do that. You are better off letting him guard the jump shots and try not to go for the easy drive.

call me biased, cus I didn't even get to watch Thomas play

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Yeah I watched that game on NBATV again recently and it was amazing.

BUT 2008 Cp3 is the best ~6ft player of all time.

And yeah those pistons teams were stacked. I'm not talking the definition of "stacked" that we hear these days when people are ragging on Lebron. Stacked doesn't mean big names. His pistons teams had deep competant teams that played nasty D and filled every role a championship team needs.

Honestly, isiah gets overrated like Rose gets overrated. Team success is often attributed to the best offensive option on the team.

Don't get why people still think Nash was a system player when he was still having 50/40/90, 11 dimes type seasons after D'antoni left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    this nikka said Cousy

CP is better than half those guys

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Yeah even better than AI

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Don't get why people still think Nash was a system player when he was still having 50/40/90, 11 dimes type seasons after D'antoni left.
    Their "system" was to pick and roll, spread the floor, pretty much what every team is attempting to do now. What made their offenses so successful was that the ball was in Nash's hands as much as possible and they made sure to give him room to operate. Their offense lived and died based on Nash's play.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

Glad the conversation has at least went somewhere reasonably interesting this time.

The rationale that he won 2 MVPs = he is overrated is wrong. One of the main reasons he is underrated is because of the backlash stemming from those 2 MVPs and the fact that people either lost their memory or never saw what he did and it's become popular to bash him.

That first MVP was undeniable. As a Suns fan, my reaction to the Nash signing was that it could be a decent first step towards turning a horrible 29 win team into a semi-respectable, fringe playoff team in the best case scenario. They come in with a very similar roster, losing Marbury and old Penny and replacing with Nash and QRich and win 62 games. Definition of MVP season.

As for the idea that a Nash-based system plays poor defense, I really don't think bad defense is part of the system. Bad defense was due to the roster not having enough good defenders. If you put prime Nash instead of TP on the last 2 Spurs teams they'd have won closer to 70 games each season and they'd have demolished the Heat in 2013. And TP is a great player.

National High School Star Rodmantheman's Avatar

He isn't underrated he stole a MVP from Shaq.

I don't think he's top 5.

He's on the same level as Kidd and GP tho.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    He's a great player but the kind of system you'd have to build around him is not very good for the Playoffs.
    Historically, No team is great when built around their PG.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Their "system" was to pick and roll, spread the floor, pretty much what every team is attempting to do now. What made their offenses so successful was that the ball was in Nash's hands as much as possible and they made sure to give him room to operate. Their offense lived and died based on Nash's play.
    This. They were actually ahead of their time. Every team in the league incorporates this in their play now. And yes the difference was Nash's amazing decision making and triple threat ability.