Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Larry Bird in 1985: "Rookie Jordan is Better Than Me, Best Ever"

Bird spoke Tuesday evening after the world champions had vanquished the Bulls 110-106 in a visceral Stadium affair before 18,061 customers who needed their chairs only occasionally. Bird required a seat now, fighting fatigue and a bug, with a towel over his legs and a beer. He had played 42 minutes and watched Michael Jordan the other 6.

``I have never seen one player turn a team around like that,`` said Bird, snapping his fingers. ``All the Bulls have become better because of him. Orlando Woolridge will probably be an All-Star for the rest of his career. And pretty soon, this place will be packed every night, not just when the Celtics come to town. They`ll pay just to watch Jordan. Got to.``

Bird recently volunteered his vote for Jordan as the finest athlete he`d ever witnessed or opposed, mentioning the Bulls` electric rookie in the same monologue as Wayne Gretzky. After observing Jordan gyrate for 41 points, a game-high 12 rebounds and 7 assists Tuesday night, Bird was in no mood for second opinions.

``Best,`` said Bird. ``Never seen anyone like him. Unlike anyone I`ve ever seen. Phenomenal. One of a kind.``

In other words . . .

``One of a kind,`` he repeated. ``That`s what I mean about the league. With guys like him coming in from college year after year, we just can`t help but get a better image, better crowds, better TV ratings. He`s the best. Ever.``

Better than Larry Bird?

``Yup,`` said Bird. ``At his stage in his career, he`s doing more than I ever did. I couldn`t do what he did as a rookie. Heck, there was one drive tonight. He had the ball up in his right hand, then he took it down, then he brought it back up. I got a hand on it, fouled him, and he still scored. And all the while, he`s in the air. You have to play this game to know how difficult that is. You see that and figure, `Well, what the heck can you do?` ``
    ``Best,`` repeated Bird. ``I`d seen a little of him before and wasn`t that impressed. I mean, I thought he`d be good, but not this good. Ain`t nothing he can`t do. That`s good for this franchise, good for the league.``
    ``At home, and most places on the road, the buildings are full. This one will be pretty soon, too, every night because of Michael Jordan. He`s the best.``

Better than . . .

``Yup,`` said Larry Bird, coughing up a storm. The NBA shall not rest easily until this cold front passes, because for the league to be healthy, it can`t afford for its leading man to be sick.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ando-woolridge

Default Re: Larry Bird in 1985: "Rookie Jordan is Better Than Me, Best Ever"

Reminds me of Bobby Knight in 1984 saying that Michael Jordan was the best basketball player that he had ever seen.

InB4 "GOAT GONNA GOAT"

Bird was just being caught in the moment.. This is the same as Pippen telling people that LeBron is the best ever because of one series..

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    InB4 "GOAT GONNA GOAT"

Bird was just being caught in the moment.. This is the same as Pippen telling people that LeBron is the best ever because of one series..
    Well, the next season, Bird called MJ God in disguise after his 63 point game. And that's with Bird having an incredible game himself with 37/12/5. That's coming from the best player in the NBA about the same player two years in a row. That's not being caught in the moment. He actually saw something great, and coincidentally, MJ became one off the top all-time greats.

Bird the prophet. Goat BBIQ: knows what he's talking about.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Bird also said he wanted to return all his MVPs if Kobe had only one. He knows what's up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    InB4 "GOAT GONNA GOAT"

This face look like the face of a guy who gets 'caught in the moment'?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    Bird the prophet. Goat BBIQ: knows what he's talking about.
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by played0ut
    This face look like the face of a guy who gets 'caught in the moment'?

Perfect use of that gif. It's like how did you have that gif handy. And it's not like he was at the opposing team's stadium, that was at Indiana.

Greatness recognizing greatness...

Can you imagine if someone proclaimed a rookie the best ever nowadays?

NBA rookie of the year

Two of the best to ever do it. Larry always knew what was up.

After 86 he stayed on the Celtics' front office's ass to make sure they pushed to win as many titles as possible before the Bulls got their sh*t together and actually put a worthwhile team around Jordan. He knew what was coming.

It's too bad about Larry's back, really would've liked to have seen him play a few more years.

It's too bad Orlando Woolridge apparently had a cocaine problem and wouldn't play any defence. Jordan-Woolrdige-Oakley might've been an OK core.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 07-31-2014 at 04:21 AM.

The reason why Bird was saying that is because he saw a guy who was an epic all around player like him and Magic. That was also a lockdown kind of defender, can play PG, SG, and SF, and is a freak athlete! That kind of player had NEVER been seen before in the NBA period! Big O didn't have the defense and freak athletic ability MJ had. Dr.J, Baylor, Thompson and Hawkins weren't as great all around as MJ.

In 1985, I would still give Bird and Magic the edge slightly as the better players. They incorporated their teammates better and were actually more versatile and able to play the PF position in addition to the perimeter. But Bird knew MJ was gonna pass Magic and Bird by sooner than later. And if u pass Bird and Magic by, u are the best perimeter player of all time in terms of talent and skills. Of course it would some years later when MJ would pass them by GOAT wise.

Portland should taken MJ number 2 no matter what in '84. And this isn't hindsight either. As much as Bowie was injury prone in college, u gotta take MJ at number 2. Of course I have no problem with Houston taking Dream over MJ at number one. The Dream was that epic u can actually justify that move. I know many say Portland had Clyde Drexler already, but WHO CARES! U move Clyde to the SF and let MJ run SG. U could also go big backcourt often and go with MJ at PG too. Clyde was also one of the greatest passing SG's as well. MJ and Clyde together would have been epic shit!! Portland repeated the same thing with Oden when they could have had Durant! WOW!
    Last edited by bizil; 07-31-2014 at 04:40 AM.

Can you imagine lebron saying that? He would be crucified by ishiots with all the beta trash talk

Larry bird is a humble guy and acknowledges greatness if he sees one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Two of the best to ever do it. Larry always knew what was up.

After 86 he stayed on the Celtics' front office's ass to make sure they pushed to win as many titles as possible before the Bulls got their sh*t together and actually put a worthwhile team around Jordan. He knew what was coming.

It's too bad about Larry's back, really would've liked to have seen him play a few more years.

It's too bad Orlando Woolridge apparently had a cocaine problem and wouldn't play any defence. Jordan-Woolrdige-Oakley might've been an OK core.
    I agree! Bird's game was built to last given his size and skillset. U simply make him a stretch PF who can also initiate offense as a point power forward type in the halfcourt. He always rebounded on the level of a PF anyway and played a ton of PF in his career anyway. That's one advantage guys like Bron, Bird, and Magic have over the guys like MJ, Kobe, West, and Big O. They move to a big man position and create a mismatch from there. It's a shame Bird and Magic had their careers cut short.