Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
kmart
No props needed

Default Raptors 2015 Offseason Thread

Theres no offseason thread yet, so I've decided to make one for more Raptor discussion.

The Raptors offseason so far has included:

- Masai keeping Dwayne Casey on as head coach. One has to wonder if he is following the same path as BC. BC started very strong in his tenure with the Raptors and slowly because worse and worse, Masai so far has followed the same path. However, they are very different in philosophies (Masai loves younger guys and draft picks).

- The D-League team will be an asset at the Raptors disposal this upcoming season. Good news for the development of Bruno, Bebe, and DeAndre Daniels.

- Rumors are circulating on the next assistant coaches of the Toronto Raptors. One has to think that Casey is on a short leash because of this previous season. Whoever Masai chooses to hire may be taking over as head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Reading over rumor sites Monty Williams is a candidate

- Raptors own the 20th pick in the draft and have some flexibility. Will Amir, Lou, or Psycho T be kept? If not who stays and who goes? Will the Raptors still maintain the depth that they had this past year? If looks as if Lou will be over priced, so who will the Raptors add if they need bench schoring.

Possible UFA the Raptors could chase:

- Their own

- Demarre Carroll - Turned into an excellent 3 and D player for the Hawks and will defend top wing players for the Raptors. I think he'll get a big payday, but the Raptors need a guy who can stop the ball and contribute something on the offensive end. He's in for a big payday, so I don't know if the Raptors can afford him, but we all know the Raptors need a Demarre Carroll on the team

- Wes Matthews - The guy ended his season will an Achilles injury, this could turn some teams away. Again the Raptors need a 3 and D player and since he is recovering from tough injury he could he be had for a lower rate than some other 3 and D players given the length of contract.

- Danny Green - I think this is the guy that the Raptors should go after. He's long shoots well and defends extremely well for his position. Sometimes he has mental lapses on both sides of the court, but he makes up for it with excellent defence and the ability to spread the floor. Since he wasn't advertised very well on the Spurs I think he can be a hidden gem of this UFA corps.

- Jeremy Lin - If the Raps lose Lou, Jeremy Lin can come in and provide a spark off the bench. He didn't have a bad year with his limited minutes, although he didn't have great averages. Possibly a cheap way of getting offence off the bench.

- KJ McDaniels - After a hot start on the 76ers, he struggled to get minutes on the Rockets. He's a RFA, so unlike the other options on this list Houston can match the offer. If you offer him a 3 million dollar contract does Houston even think about keeping him given their history of trying to get the top free agents.

- Brandon Wright - Long, athletic, and will defend. He won't take much offence away from DeMar or Lowry. He would be an excellent addition for the depth of this team.

- Marreese Speights - He has improved on that Warriors team and can be a spark on the bench. With the Raptors possibly losing Lou, I could see him being a good option if they want to replace Lou's bench scoring.

- Jordan Hill - He is on a team option, but the Lakers will likely cut his option. He could be a good option off the bench as a energy type of player. He has a good mid range game and just needs more effort in his play.

Questions Masai will need to answer:

- Who do we keep from our FA? Who do we sign as UFA or RFA?

- How much confidence does he have in Ross? Does he believe in Ross like the Warriors believed in Harrison Barnes? Or is Ross tradable to other teams?

- Who is picked at #20 overall? Will it be a project (ie. Bruno)? Or will he go with a proven college player?

- Who are the assistant coaches going to be?

- How to address the Raptors awful defence?

- How to re-sign Lou or replace Lou?

Last edited by kmart : 06-04-2015 at 01:21 AM.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: Raptors 2015 Offseason Thread

Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say that, in advance of Thursday's draft, Minnesota has made former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett available via trade 9m

Does Ujiri bite? He has stated that he wants a Canadian on the Raptors' roster.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Velocirap31
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say that, in advance of Thursday's draft, Minnesota has made former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett available via trade 9m

Does Ujiri bite? He has stated that he wants a Canadian on the Raptors' roster.

That would be cool. He should go for it. It's a no lose scenario. Bennett pans out and becomes a serviceable NBAer or he sucks and no one gets mad at Ujiri because Bennett is a fellow countryman.

Stacking this team with young Canadian talent would be a very good idea for notoriety and publicity here at home. People would love to cheer for them.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
That would be cool. He should go for it. It's a no lose scenario. Bennett pans out and becomes a serviceable NBAer or he sucks and no one gets mad at Ujiri because Bennett is a fellow countryman.

Stacking this team with young Canadian talent would be a very good idea for notoriety and publicity here at home. People would love to cheer for them.

In theory, bringing the hometown kid home seems to be a good idea. It does raise some eyebrows if Masai will be adding a Canadian to the roster due to his nationality and not his basketball skill.

I am in the mind that Masai only has interest in players that will contribute to the team now or in the future. From what I've seen with Masai loves to fill out his roster with 15 players and every roster spot counts, whether it be for a player now or in the future. The question is does Masai think that Bennett will be a serviceable NBA player in the future and I don't think he does.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Legends66NBA7

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ns-in-earnest/

Quote:
Let the Masai Ujiri era begin.

The Toronto Raptors general manager’s honeymoon period has been an extended one, and with good reason. When your first move of consequence is trading Andrea Bargnani and getting a first-round draft pick in return, you deserve some good will.

And when you trade Rudy Gay and turn a seemingly lottery-bound team into one of the most successful outfits in the Eastern Conference — Toronto’s 97 regular-season wins the past two years trail only Chicago and Atlanta (each with 98) — you become a star.

But going into his third year on the job, Ujiri’s tenure has been marked by patience and even caution, rather than any definitive declaration of where the team is going and how it’s going to get there.

Following the Raptors’ first-round playoff decimation at the hands of the Washington Wizards, Ujiri will have to be more active in order to steer his team out of the NBA’s middle class, exactly the spot he pledged they would never be when he took the job.

He still believes his core of DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Jonas Valancuinas and Terrence Ross is improving, but after two years of organic growth it’s Ujiri’s job to find them the right help.

With the NBA Draft on Thursday, what promises to be a frantic off-season across the NBA begins earnestly. What the Raptors do on draft night will give a peek into what happens as the free agency period opens July 1.

“They are connected,” Ujiri said.

Draft

A year ago the Raptors took Brazilian project Bruno Caboclo with the 20th overall pick, a shocker given that his resume was so thin he didn’t even appear as a potential second-round pick on most mock drafts. They also have big-man Lucas Nogueira to develop.

Next year the Raptors have their own pick and rights to either the New York Knicks’ or Denver Nuggets’ first-rounder (whichever ends up being the lower of the two), which is projecting to be a valuable asset given both the Knicks and Nuggets appear lottery-bound.

All of which is to say that the Raptors are looking for production, rather than potential, from whoever they select with the 20th pick on Thursday night.

With six free agents and question marks at multiple positions, it’s hard to pin down where the Raptors will go from here but some safe bets include:

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who has earned some comparisons to Andre Iguodala albeit with a jump shot in need of being rebuilt.

Montrezl Harrell*of Louisville, who has echoes of Kenneth Faried, an Ujiri favourite in Denver as an energy-style big man.

Bobby Portis, a power forward who can score around the basket and, again, is viewed as a player who competes hard, which is increasingly being recognized for the skill it is.

That said, executives from other teams expect the Raptors to work hard to move up in the draft and they might have some opportunity to get into the second-half of the lottery given that there is expected to be some fluidity in that range this year.

Free agency

This is where things get really interesting.

Barring any significant moves on draft night, the Raptors’ headlining free agents are Amir Johnson and Lou Williams, and while bringing them back hasn’t been ruled out, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of appetite internally to provide them with the kind of term and dollars a pair of veterans looking at their last big contract would likely be seeking.

The mileage on Johnson is an issue, and for all the fireworks provided by Williams off the bench, playing him alongside Greivis Vasquez won’t be an option next year.

With Vazquez under contract for another season, betting is it will be Williams who finds a new address, even though Vasquez was pumping the rumour mill all by himself, suggesting that Minnesota was trying acquire him via trade — perhaps in a deal that would bring back underachieving forward Anthony Bennett, a Toronto native.

One change in the Raptors’ philosophy regarding free agency is that after plotting to keep their powder dry for the star-studded 2016 class, headlined by Kevin Durant — the object of the Raptors’ recurring fantasies — reality has set in and no longer is waiting until next year the plan.

The 2015 class may lack star power, but it’s got a lot of depth that is appealing to a club like Toronto that invested in its existing core and is hoping to grow organically and incrementally.

Presuming they don’t commit to their existing free agents, the Raptors should have about $17 million to spend under the salary cap.

Don’t be surprised if the Raptors use that flexibility (and any more they can free up) one of two ways: Overpaying on a short-term deal to an established veteran that fills a need — Dallas Mavericks centre Tyson Chandler, anyone? — or giving a player viewed more as a role player near max money to help DeRozan and Lowry get closer to competing for the conference finals in the East.

Ujiri’s not a reckless spender, but with the NBA’s new TV deal kicking in, it’s a good time to be aggressive. As an example, DeMarre Carroll of the Atlanta Hawks — a journeyman who has turned himself into a solid two-way role player — could command a massive contract from a team like the Raptors who are trying to beat the rush and add to their roster.

Overspending now is made more palatable as it’s expected the NBA’s salary cap could skyrocket to nearly $90 million in 2016-17 and as high as $110 million in 2017-18, meaning deals that look pricey now will be easily absorbed in a couple of years.

Another situation Raptors fans should monitor closely involves Cory Joseph, the Toronto-native point guard who is a restricted free agent with the San Antonio Spurs.

There are reports that San Antonio is going to make a run at Portland Trail Blazers free agent LaMarcus Aldridge, in which case they may renounce their rights to Joseph to clear money under the salary cap.

Even if they don’t, the Spurs might be vulnerable to a team that gives Joseph a carefully constructed offer sheet given they already have Tony Parker and Patty Mills under contract at point guard and have needs to fill this season as they try to extend Tim Duncan’s championship window.

The Raptors are high on Joseph, regardless of his passport. He can defend both backcourt positions and doesn’t require the ball to be effective, making him a strong compliment to both Lowry and Vasquez in the Raptors guard rotation.

But there are few secrets in the NBA and it’s believed Toronto won’t be the only team trying to land the 23-year-old with four years NBA experience and a championship with the Spurs.

“There will be a lot of competition for him,” said one Western Conference source.

While trying to round out their roster of players, the Raptors are still actively pursuing assistant coaches to bolster Dwane Casey’s staff. With both the Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma City Thunder changing head coaches, it makes sense that the Raptors would*look to their staffs*to bring in a lead assistant from a winning program.

Andy Greer helped the Bulls’ Tom Thibodeau put together one of the NBA’s best defences in recent years, while Rex Kalamian helped shape one of the NBA’s most talented young rosters with the Thunder and has ties to Casey going back to their days in Minnesota.

It will be an interesting development to watch. Elite assistant coaches are going up in price.

Melvin Hunt — the interim head coach in Denver who lost out on the head job to Mike Malone — was about to sign with the New Orleans Pelicans before the Dallas Mavericks outbid them. Hunt was another assistant the Raptors had targeted. Monte Mathis — formerly of the Mavericks — may also be on the Raptors’ radar.

Given that MLSE committed $50 million to Mike Babcock to coach the rebuilding Toronto Maple Leafs — among other hires — finding the cash to pay assistants with the Raptors shouldn’t be a problem.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Legends66NBA7

Also reading that Kyle, DeMar, and Jonas are all available for a trade.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Also reading that Kyle, DeMar, and Jonas are all available for a trade.

It would take a overpayment to get those players from Masai. He loves to get the most he can out of a deal.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
kmart
No props needed

Raptors get a D-League team in Mississauga. Great news for Bebe, Bruno, Daniels, and our 20th overall pick this year.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...is-season.html
Old 06-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
kmart
No props needed

Raptors will have approximately 26 million to spend in free agency this year and they'll need a PF, if they choose not to retain Amir.

I'm still not convinced they'll keep Lou either, considering the focus on defence this year.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Lou is as good as gone. I can see Amir coming back for a team friendly price.

I like the rookies we got at the range we drafted them. Masai with solid work once again.

Gonna miss General Grevious' swagger, but not his high risk, high reward shot selections.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
kmart
No props needed

David West is a name to keep an eye on. After Paul Pierce did what he did to the Raptors, a battle proven veteran is something that the Raptors desire. He just recently opted out of his contract with the Pacers. I think a two year deal with West would be optimal for both sides to maximize the value that West has remaining in his career.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
David West is a name to keep an eye on. After Paul Pierce did what he did to the Raptors, a battle proven veteran is something that the Raptors desire. He just recently opted out of his contract with the Pacers. I think a two year deal with West would be optimal for both sides to maximize the value that West has remaining in his career.

I'd love to sign West, after Millsap and possibly Monroe he would be my target.

I'd also like to go after a Marcus Thornton or somebody like that who can provide 2nd unit scoring as I believe that Lou Will will be too pricey.

Corey Brewer as a wing defender is somebody I like aswell.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I'd love to sign West, after Millsap and possibly Monroe he would be my target.

I'd also like to go after a Marcus Thornton or somebody like that who can provide 2nd unit scoring as I believe that Lou Will will be too pricey.

Corey Brewer as a wing defender is somebody I like aswell.

I like the idea of Millsap, however I think the term of the deal would be undesirable for the Raptors. This will probably be the last time Millsap can maximize his earnings, so look for a 4 year deal in the ballpark of 13-15 million. For the Raptors, the addition of Millsap will take them out of the KD sweepstakes.

I like the idea of Thornton on the 2nd unit and Corey Brewer/3&D type of player. I am assuming that Masai will be looking for defensive minded players to improve on a awful defence last year.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
Jballer
Local High School Star

Question : If the NBDL team and summer league team are essentially one and the same for arguement sake

1) Would you bring back Landry Fields ???

(obviously not at that money but think of potential roster open spots)

2) Cedric or Hansborough ? Both ?

Recalling the collective requires something like 14 roster spots......and ...

Tie-ing this thread into the Summer Team (Kmart) thread:

Perhaps Lou's money is coming from Vasquez contract.

Amir likely to be back on a cap friendly deal?

I assume we then also keep one of Cedric or Tyler

If this line up ends up being the core of the NBDL team - that leaves us 5 ~ 6 full roster spots open to fill :

(1) Vasquez (2) Bruno (3) Bebe (4) Landry Fields (5) one of Cedric or Tyler and (7) back up PG if Delon doesnt make the big team.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
Jballer
Local High School Star

Dear Masai :

As a huge Raptor fan interested in the development and depth of this team over the long term as a perennial power ; thanks for what you have done.

Given the off season and potential FA signings I hope you will at least consider offers to any of the following for the "big team roster" with the DL league team obviously opening...

These guys may not be our starters but they appear to be great roster additions in my opinion.

1) Alan Anderson. Quality player / quality man and clutch performer. Obviously no longer a starter - the type of guy to help Demar and more importantly Tross develop

2) Ed Davis. Former Raptor appears to have unused potential. Nice to have a true banger production at the 4 spot

3) Tristan Thompson Canadian 4 ~ if he would consider leaving Cleveland. Clearly a lot of potential issues here in terms of cap flex, matching, front end loading, etc... but worth exploratory discussions.

4) Richard Jefferson.. his shooting the past 2- 3 years is something like 39% I get the d first mentality but his combo of shot selection and high percentage means we need to talk to the guy.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: