Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valanciunas Mix

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Val mix

Very pleased with the pick, but I don't think he'll be available before the 2012/13 season.
    And no, that doesn't mean we're trading Bargs, they don't play alike, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doko
    Very pleased with the pick, but I don't think he'll be available before the 2012/13 season.
    And no, that doesn't mean we're trading Bargs, they don't play alike, not at all.
    Not only that, but they could also complement each other very well becaus Jonas seems to be very aggressive defensively and in rebounds.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    Not only that, but they could also complement each other very well becaus Jonas seems to be very aggressive defensively and in rebounds.
    Vaglielo a spiegare XD

Probably the one that should be traded is Amir, we need minutes to develop Jonas and Ed Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Doko
    Vaglielo a spiegare XD
    eheh

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Naaah, Bosh doesn't shoot 3s like Bargs.

Definitely a poor man's Dirk.
    All 3 are still scoring-oriented PFs who don't give you much on defense so the comparison is valid. They're just on different tiers where Dirk in his prime was a superstar (still is I guess), Bosh is a player who will legitmately make some All-Star teams while Bargnani overall is average to slightly above-average.

Unless Valanciunas turns into a defensive monster similar to Dwight Howard (yea right) then I still think Ed Davis (assuming he doesn't bust completely) is the PF that you should be looking to pair him up with. Just because you put a "PF" beside Bargnani's name doesn't absolve him of playing interior D and rebounding. Maybe if he was far more efficient as an offensive player it would be easier to swallow but he hasn't been.

If Davis isn't the starting PF getting starter minutes come november, I'm going to snap.

Just saying..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Yeah whatever happened to Ed Davis? I didn't hear much from him at all last season.

Learning to shoot layups

I like that despite his skinny frame, he's pretty aggressive and physical - in stark contrast to Bargnani.

Imagine this guy could actually jump more than two inches!

Still, this mix makes me optimistic about the pick.

All we need now is
    *One more year of tanking, one more high level pick
    *Val joins the team
    *Demar learns to shoot a three to complement his mid-range/driving game
    *amir learns how not to foul out
    *ed davis put on some bulk
    *other young guys (Bayless, Johnson) develop even incrementally
    *we trade one or both of Bargnani and Calderon
    *OR Bargnani learns to rebound and help D AND Calderon learns to play D or takes advantage of new D-schemes like a zone that make up for his lack of footspeed...
    *personnel tweaking

hey, if even 50% of the above happens (which I believe will be true0, I'm excited for the 2012/2013 season

Dunking on everybody in the park hassano's Avatar

I'd love to see him bulk up and pair with Ed Davis, now that would be a solid front court

edit: just found out he'll wear number 17 when he plays, the age his signed his first *pro contract
    Last edited by hassano; 06-24-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Bargnani cant carry a team offensively if he could he would be a hell of alot more popular with the organization/fans. But he simply cant, anyway as for JV being a defensive monster I think thats a little too much too expect from him. ED has the potential to anchor our D, while JV will be a monster on the boards, play solid man D and also have solid low post offense (potential wise).

My point here is ED-Val >>>>>>>> Bargs-Val.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Unless Valanciunas turns into a defensive monster similar to Dwight Howard (yea right) then I still think Ed Davis (assuming he doesn't bust completely) is the PF that you should be looking to pair him up with. Just because you put a "PF" beside Bargnani's name doesn't absolve him of playing interior D and rebounding. Maybe if he was far more efficient as an offensive player it would be easier to swallow but he hasn't been.
    You always say that Bargnani is a 6th man in a good team. If it were really true... why not in the Raptors, a couple years in the future?

Diaw Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FCardelle
    You always say that Bargnani is a 6th man in a good team. If it were really true... why not in the Raptors, a couple years in the future?
    Cause people don't give bench players 10 million dollars. Especially not with the new CBA.

If he was making 6 Million (like Barbosa) and playing 25 minutes a game I'd be okay with him.

Remember those end of season comments by some of his teammates, BC and Traino?? What about his alleged comments about wanting to leave? Look what happened to Bargs was not fair, he was asked to do things that he simply can not do (rebounding and defending). He, along with the raptors franchise deserve clean slates and they should part ways imo.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Cause people don't give bench players 10 million dollars. Especially not with the new CBA.

If he was making 6 Million (like Barbosa) and playing 25 minutes a game I'd be okay with him.
    But he will earn 10M regardless of where he plays. (which is a fair contract IMO)

Davis/Bargnani/Valenciunas can be a good interior rotation. Trade Amir and there will be 32 mpg for each one.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Like the other guy said, it's the money. I'd rather pay Amir $5 million per year for ~25-28 minutes to be the first big man off the bench than Bargnani $10 million.

You generally want to give the most money to your most productive players who will play the most minutes. Since I see Bargnani as a 6th man and not worthy of starter minutes (if you want to be a good team) then IMO it's not a good allocation of resources. This kind of thinking will become even more important if a hard salary cap comes in.