Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Old heads... what ball advice do you have?

dont be a *****

Sunshine State

Any advice for better ball security and improving handles?

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

- dribble with a purpose. sounds so simple, but its almost unheard of by most teens.

- for the love of god, learn to move off the ball. (proper cuts, back picks, flashes, etc)

I usually hit open layups

Put the ball on the floor with a purpose. Every young player likes to dance with the ball and act on a live dribble before they even have an idea of where they want to go with the ball. Sure, you have to make quick decisions but overdribbling is an enormous problem with some kids. Conversely, some people like to decide what their move is going to be before they even know what is in front of them. Read and react, as quickly as possible, and take advantage of what the defense gives you.

learn to be efficient and purposeful with your movements.

also, you gotta crawl before you can walk. may kids try to work on counters before they actually have something down. you build from the bottom.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

Oh yeah.... adapt your game to your size and athletic ability.

I see cats trying to play like their favorite player, but if you're a short 5'7 fat dude with zero athletic ability, don't think you're Kobe, Lebron or Durant. Adapt your game to your strengths.

Extremely underrated advice. Always cringe worthy to see short, fat guys trying to play like Kobe. Last week I played a pick up game against a guy that was built like an out of shape young Charles Barkley. Dude was trying to pull some And 1 bullshit, taking fadeaways from 3. When he finally tried to do what he is built for- back to the basket in the post, he was completely lost, clumsy, and I was muscling him out of position even though he had a good 50 lbs on me. Couldn't move me an inch when backing down. Absolutely no clue how to play with his back to the basket. I was torching him in the post offensively too

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Always cringe worthy to see short, fat guys trying to play like Kobe.
    Co-sign.

Sadly, much like even the pro game ... a consistent, reliable low post offensive game makes WORLDS of difference. The game is is still easiest, most efficient, and prolific played from the inside - out. If you're a threat down low, it makes the game so much easier for everyone else.

Everyone wants to dribble around the perimeter and be the Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Durants of the world. When in reality as a microcosm of both the league itself, and weekend warriors ... we need more Al Jeffersons.

When I'm a 5'11 combo guard, and I am by far the best post up option for my team, even though I'm also the best ball handler but I'm filling a void, and much needed threat on offense. Well, then there is problems with today's game.

Also word of advice, adapt your skill set to competition, and teammate level of talent. Don't go out chucking or looking to score against quality opponents, or with superior scoring option teammates. KNOW YOUR ROLE, and KNOW YOUR PERSONELL. No shame at all in just being a good decision maker, making timely pin point passes.

Also, another lost art for when there actually is a low post threat. ENTRY passes. It's a skill. Observe. Watch Kidd, Nash, Stockton tapes. It helps your teammates significantly.

Also, when someone passes it to you on the perimeter, go to the pass. Don't wait for it to come to you, otherwise it can easily result in a turnover from overzealous defenders in passing lanes. Pet peeve of mine as a PG. Don't let me get the turnover because you're the lazy one.

Last but not least, at least try on defense. If you're out of shape, at the very least use your mouth to communicate to other defenders what's going on. It makes worlds of difference. MFers who can't tell me when a blind side pick is coming, or if we should switch or trap annoys the hell out of me. Use your damn voice. I rather someone talk too much on defense as a teammate than not at all.

Go hard in da muuthaeffing paint

Look to pass, it's the extra pass that gets the open and easiest shot. Move w/o the ball. Don't try to be the hero, just play team ball. Play to your strengts, when guarded by a taller player you drive and you post up a smaller guy. Play a thinking mans game.

Be Jason Kidd

College superstar

utilize your pivot foot. your footwork and handle are #1 (unless you're just a set shooter). everything else will fall into play afterwards.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    dribble the hardest u can on every drill, lose the ball as much as u can

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    Practice dribbling hard with your head looking straight up the length of the court. Run fast, dribble hard with only your left hand looking up. Then do it two times right hand, crossover, two times left hand, behind the back, two times right hand... . Now do the same but keep the ball very low on the crossovers. Pay lil bro to guard you. Practice keeping the back of your upper shoulder on lil bro while he tries to steal. When you get better try a double crossover in front of him.

Dribble into traffic in pickup games, the brain will remember how you escaped. A lot people (even pros - Westbrook had it bad his second year) lose the dribble when accelerating after a crossover to the weak hand. Practice the first three dribbles after the crossover.

Practice will enable you to get confident.

I always just preach basic shit. Defensive principles, box out, make the easy pass, etc. The game is a lot easier and more fun when you do the basics well. My #1 tool is the triple threat so I always advice young players to get good with it. Jabs, pumps, swing throughs, etc in the triple threat are the easiest way to create space. Best advice I ever got was no more than 2-3 dribbles in the half court. Learning to play without the ball is also a valuable and fun skill.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 09-06-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Also, another lost art for when there actually is a low post threat. ENTRY passes. It's a skill. Observe. Watch Kidd, Nash, Stockton tapes. It helps your teammates significantly.
    And co-sign. I'm a post player with reliable go-to moves down low, and nothing is more frustrating for me than playing with guards that can't do entry passes, then chuck ill-advised shots. You shouldn't have to be open on the perimeter to get a pass from your guard, but it's often what I end up having to do...

Anyway, slowing down is probably the biggest advice you can give to a player. The speed of the game is 100% mental. The best players don't even need quickness, because they make the game slow for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Anyway, slowing down is probably the biggest advice you can give to a player. The speed of the game is 100% mental. The best players don't even need quickness, because they make the game slow for everyone else.
    Yes, agreed. Not many know how to do it anymore. Also another thing you said that I'd like to elaborate on.

A player doesn't need to be blinding quick off the dribble / first step or freaky speed like Rose, Iverson, Jordan. If anything craftiness with great ball handling can allow for change of pace moves that keeps defenders guessing.

It makes average to slow players with a good handle, an intelligent way to keep defenders off balance. See: Nash, Joe Johnson, Kyrie Irving and Paul Pierce as references.

Watch a guy like Barkley and learn the tricks to his game and how he overcome his disadvantages(height) and used his advantages and skill(athleticism, strength, positioning, length) vs. a Dwight howard who is all athleticism and size.

Don't try to be Iverson or Jordan like every other fool out there. Play a balanced game like a Jason kidd and you'll get your teams wins.

...and learn to post up. It's a lost art. I see so many teams where no one knows how to post up and the teams go through scoring droughts.