Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Exclamation Old heads... what ball advice do you have?

I always try to give tips to younger players when I can. What tips can you give some of the younger posters to help improve their game?

Here are mine...

Learn the angles of the game. Learn everybody's position on the floor with the rim's location in mind.

Slow down. Young bucks have tons of energy and are always playing 100 miles per hour, but slow down. It allows you to read the defense and make calculated moves. While playing defense don't try to run to every player and try to make every steal and block. Mature players will take advantage of that energy and use it against you. As I mentioned above, learn the angles and everybody's position.

Be observant. Study your opponent closely, learn their weaknesses and favorite moves.

I know this all sounds obvious, but for some reason I don't see young bucks applying any of this to their game.

Oh yeah.... adapt your game to your size and athletic ability.

I see cats trying to play like their favorite player, but if you're a short 5'7 fat dude with zero athletic ability, don't think you're Kobe, Lebron or Durant. Adapt your game to your strengths.

That's it for now.

Default Re: Old heads... what ball advice do you have?

Should always focus on a full flick of the wrist when following through with a shot.

Keep your eyes up and not down at the ball when dribbling.

Use your ass to create separation from you and the basket when boxing out a guy for a rebound. Using your arms helps, but should not be relied upon.

If you're a big guy, always look to screen for your guards at the top of the key.

That's all off the top of my head...Sure there's more

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

It's not how you it's how you play

Pattern your game after John Stockton's...

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I always try to give tips to younger players when I can. What tips can you give some of the younger posters to help improve their game?

Here are mine...

Learn the angles of the game. Learn everybody's position on the floor with the rim's location in mind.

Slow down. Young bucks have tons of energy and are always playing 100 miles per hour, but slow down. It allows you to read the defense and make calculated moves. While playing defense don't try to run to every player and try to make every steal and block. Mature players will take advantage of that energy and use it against you. As I mentioned above, learn the angles and everybody's position.

Be observant. Study your opponent closely, learn their weaknesses and favorite moves.

I know this all sounds obvious, but for some reason I don't see young bucks applying any of this to their game.

Oh yeah.... adapt your game to your size and athletic ability.

I see cats trying to play like their favorite player, but if you're a short 5'7 fat dude with zero athletic ability, don't think you're Kobe, Lebron or Durant. Adapt your game to your strengths.

That's it for now.

What are you supposed to do in that case? I think the Jesus for fat, non-athletic players is Boris Diaw, but he can only do what he does since he's 6'8".

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Always try to dunk, even if you can't

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Pattern your game after John Stockton's...
    don't work on your left hand?

Always tell them to play defense with high IQ. In other words, if the guy struggles to go left and only goes right, to force him left. It frustrates me when they let the guy blow by them the same side every time. Defense is 100% about the desire to wanna play it, anyone can do it. They just need to try.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Bank shots. Learn Em and abuse em

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

arch ur shot

Practice with your off-hand.

Practice going the opposite way you're used too. If you have a sweet spot on the left wing, develop on the right wing also (no politic pun.)

when you first start a game cold, focus on shooting first, dont think about controlling the ball or anything, just run past screens get open and shoot to make it. Once you make 1 or 2 buckets then start controlling the ball more. And always stay involved in the game by moving off the ball, players are more likely to pass it to you if you are involved in the game rather than standing around waiting for a pass.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Get one of those oversized 33" training balls. Show up to pickup games, and tell everyone they're playing with a WNBA ball, and you have the league size. (I've done this before, many times. Only once did someone figure it out) It's hilarious.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    What are you supposed to do in that case? I think the Jesus for fat, non-athletic players is Boris Diaw, but he can only do what he does since he's 6'8".
    Learn how to use your strengths to your advantage.

If you're not athletic, use your body more to punish players, create space/separation. Work on playing without the ball and getting putbacks. There's a number of things a player can do to be effective.

Pro players do this as their career winds down as well.

They change/adapt their game to their current situation.

Reason I mention what I did is because I see cats that try to do And1 crossovers when they can't. They try to be slashers but they're slow and clumsy. They try to be Kobe and shoot fadeaway 3s from the corner but they can't. They should focus on what can help them, not trying to emulate their fav player.

When i was young I tried to be like MJ (like most kids), but I wasn't 6'6 and couldn't dunk. So I adjusted my game and emulated Stockton, Van Exel, took bits and pieces from different players such as Kareem's hook, and eventually mastered MJ's fadeaway (only used when necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Pick up baseball? :confusedshrug

If you play good enough defense, move the ball and only take good shots no one is going to be pissed at you or laugh you off the court.