Default What if Rudy Gobert become a "3 & D" center?

Would that be a waste?

Phisically, he's already top notch. Tall, long, mobile.

What if he just practice defense and shooting 3s? He'd be great on defense and he doesn't need to waste time practicing many offensive moves that can be hard to learn and implement. Just practice shooting 3s and a few simple countermoves. I believe becoming good at shooting is something that anyone can do with enough training. I know the Manute Bol experiment kinda failed but I think that's because Manute wasn't good enough at shooting and he's overpowered on defense (not to mention bad stamina).

This produce some good and bad things. Bad thing, Rudy will be further from the basket so offensive rebounds will be fewer. But, there will be many mismatch potential and he'll be quicker getting back on defense. Also, this limits his injury potential since shooting 3s is generally safer than playing on the inside. I think the good overpower the bad.

I think this kind of player with his physical tool can become very valuable. More valuable than if he stayed on the path of being a regular center. We certainly hasn't seen anyone like that in a while if at all.

Default Re: What if Rudy Gobert become a "3 & D" center?

Future negged

go jazz!

NBA Superstar

how that niqqa gonna get open on the perimiter?

and no rebounds on offense? lmao

if a player is that big and athletic, you want him near the basket as much as possible, offensively and defensively.

his size would be wasted out on the perimeter

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

He shoots 49% on FTs, i highly doubt he becomes even remotely of a shooter.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

What if you became a keyboardless poster, OP?

Would insidehoops benefit inmensly?

Not airballing my layups anymore rustycage's Avatar

Screen and roll hard, rebound: that's all you can get from him. The good thing is that he seems to like the game, I guess Kanter could be a piece in a trade next year.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

what abound crashing the offensive boards then?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    if a player is that big and athletic, you want him near the basket as much as possible, offensively and defensively.

his size would be wasted out on the perimeter
    Gobert has to show some ability to shoot the ball at all first. This is the dilemma they have with Kanter right now. They want him shooting 3's but he's also their best low post option with Tomic still in Spain. When Okur was camped out at the 3 point line they had Brewer getting baskets inside and Okur had nothing else in his game so there was no choice.

The good thing is that he seems to like the game, I guess Kanter could be a piece in a trade next year.
    Favors is the one that could become expendable with Rudy around. Kanter is one of their top two or three scoring options. Favors has no post up game and his D wasn't anything special last year despite all the hype. And of course their best big man and pg are playing in Spain still for some reason(tank).

Not airballing my layups anymore rustycage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Favors has no post up game and his D wasn't anything special last year despite all the hype.
    It looks like he wants to become some kind of LaMarcus, with worse offense and better defense. Kanter's D is worse than Dwight's.

Quote Originally Posted by rustycage
    It looks like he wants to become some kind of LaMarcus, with worse offense and better defense. Kanter's D is worse than Dwight's.
    But with Gobert around they might be able to live with it. Favors and Gobert is worse offensively.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Gobert has to show some ability to shoot the ball at all first. This is the dilemma they have with Kanter right now. They want him shooting 3's but he's also their best low post option with Tomic still in Spain. When Okur was camped out at the 3 point line they had Brewer getting baskets inside and Okur had nothing else in his game so there was no choice.

Favors is the one that could become expendable with Rudy around. Kanter is one of their top two or three scoring options. Favors has no post up game and his D wasn't anything special last year despite all the hype. And of course their best big man and pg are playing in Spain still for some reason(tank).

I'm actually really intrigued by the Jazz for this reason. They seem to have a glut of assets that are really not finished products so it's really a matter of opinion as to which asset is worth what. I know a lot of the sheen has come off both Favors and Kanter. I would think Favors would have more value league wide. But I sort of agree that Kanter would be a better fit. By most of the metrics, Kanter is one of those guys who's a lot more valuable defensively than he looks. He's massive, and he's just in the right spot most of the time. I know he measured pretty well defending the PnR using the primarily coralling technique The Jazz have been using. And offensively the roots of a midrange face up game are at least there.

I was a fan of Gobert pre-draft, and he looked great in the WC. Offensively to me he's mostly going to have to be the "Tyson Chandler set a good screen and roll to the hoop like he just don't give a ****", school of offense. That should pair better with Kanter's catch and shoot game more than Favor's more similar offensive game, even though Favors has a touch of face up and go by in him. And it also may be a nice setting for a team that seems to think it's going to be able to go Double Playmakers in it's backcourt soon with Trey Burk and Exum (although it's just as likely that they have no playmakers).

I feel like Favors would yeild the most in return. And I feel like while he may be a better player in a vaccum than either guy, he fits in the least with either of them. So I would move Favors. It's probably also the most financially viable move too as he's got an extra year on his clock already, and again would probably be able to drum up the most demand league wide.

You could also convince me that moving Gobert makes some sense, since they've got a mid first round spent on him, plus a year of service, if they can spin his improvement into something like a late lottery pick, which would save them money on the year they've already paid him. But that seems unlikely.

I usually hit open layups

What if he developed the sky hook? Much better for the Jazz I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'm actually really intrigued by the Jazz for this reason. They seem to have a glut of assets that are really not finished products so it's really a matter of opinion as to which asset is worth what. I know a lot of the sheen has come off both Favors and Kanter. I would think Favors would have more value league wide.
    Favors continues to get the hype in Utah but he really hasn't improved much and wasn't the great defensive stopper they are paying him to be. Kanter continues to get better. He's been slowed by injuries the past couple off-seasons especially last year which really hurt him early on.

But I sort of agree that Kanter would be a better fit. By most of the metrics, Kanter is one of those guys who's a lot more valuable defensively than he looks. He's massive, and he's just in the right spot most of the time. I know he measured pretty well defending the PnR using the primarily coralling technique The Jazz have been using. And offensively the roots of a midrange face up game are at least there.
    He's extended his range out to 3 this year. He's also putting the ball on the floor and going to the rim as well as passing the ball a lot better.

I was a fan of Gobert pre-draft, and he looked great in the WC. Offensively to me he's mostly going to have to be the "Tyson Chandler set a good screen and roll to the hoop like he just don't give a ****", school of offense.
    And that's what they are asking of him. He's also showing passing ability.

That should pair better with Kanter's catch and shoot game more than Favor's more similar offensive game, even though Favors has a touch of face up and go by in him.
    Favors is ok as long as he's on the move. He and Burke run a good pick and roll and he can spot up but his post up game is ugly still at best.

And it also may be a nice setting for a team that seems to think it's going to be able to go Double Playmakers in it's backcourt soon with Trey Burk and Exum (although it's just as likely that they have no playmakers).
    Also Burks and Hayward. Based on what I saw in the World Cup Neto should be their pg right now though and Tomic should be in the mix up front as well.

I feel like Favors would yeild the most in return. And I feel like while he may be a better player in a vaccum than either guy, he fits in the least with either of them. So I would move Favors. It's probably also the most financially viable move too as he's got an extra year on his clock already, and again would probably be able to drum up the most demand league wide.
    Probably but he's got a big contract too.

You could also convince me that moving Gobert makes some sense, since they've got a mid first round spent on him, plus a year of service, if they can spin his improvement into something like a late lottery pick, which would save them money on the year they've already paid him. But that seems unlikely.
    What if he developed the sky hook? Much better for the Jazz I think.
    Yes but since only one guy has ever really developed it what are the chances?