Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Default Re: Where Does Manu Ginobili Rank All Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Manu is a top 5-6 SG ever. The only people hatin are morons who can't look past the meaningless raw stats...

It's not some luck that he has huge advanced stats AND HUGE +/- numbers.

Dude is a big impact player.

lol Dennis Johnson.
    jesus f'ing christ!
    Kids today don't know jack shit about the history of basketball.
    This post is evident.
    DJ was a great great player and one of the best on-ball perimeter defenders of all time...just ask Magic Johnson.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Manu Ginobli is not better than any of the following players.

MJ
    Kobe
    West
    Iverson
    Wade
    Drexler
    Gervin
    Jones
    Allen
    Dumars

He's arguably not even better than Reggie or Maravich.

I'm not a hater, I'm a realist. I've always been a huge fan of Manu, but people claiming he's one of the 20 best basketball players to ever live, and a top 5 SG ever is ridiculous.
    yup, and you can add a few more names too.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

All Time NBA, Maybe top 300

Just to prove my Point he wasnt even as Good as Drazen Petrovic, Whose Career was Cut short thanks to a Tragic Car accident..God Rest his Soul..
    Last edited by Kingwillball; 06-03-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    All Time NBA, Maybe top 500

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3

Yeah I changed it to top 300 as I decided that maybe wasnt giving him enough Credit for his Championships..

Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    FOR ME top 20 but idiot people obsessed with stats underrate him so much and say scrubs like Monta Ellis and Joe Johnson are better

For me, 3rd best SG OF ALL TIME
    Wow, I'm a huge fan and I don't think I'd got that far, however, I do think it's a lot, lot closer then anyone really thinks. I LOL at people like whoever I read below who claimed that all Manu is is a 'really good 6'th man'. ;0 I don't know many sixth men who team's give the ball to as their go to guy when titles are on the line.

Who's the 4'th best SG of all time do you think? And thanks if you did like my article. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Yeah I changed it to top 300 as I decided that maybe wasnt giving him enough Credit for his Championships..
    What's worse, ranking Manu 500'th or changing that ranking because he has rings? I'll never get the obsession with rings. So. What.

Quote Originally Posted by TaLvsCuaL
    Top 10 SG of all time, arguably top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I would like someone who thinks it to explain to me why Manu is better than Dennis Johnson who wasnt even given top 50 status.

Few things...

Is he not pretty much Manu plus all time great defense and proving he could lead a team himself?

I dont even intend to argue. Id just like to see what could be said to justify it.
    Good points all around dude, but my response is just that Manu didn't need to prove anything in his career. And no, DJ is not just Manu + at all. Sure I'll give him props for his FMVP and all that, no slight to DJ, but Larry Bird wasn't passing him the ball saying "Hey, go make something happen and win this title for us." I also don't know how fair/relevant you think this is, but Dennis Johnson didn't have a solid jumper at all.

Both guys are obviously big parts of each other's all time teams, even if I do think Johnson left winning time to Bird quite a bit more, and it's not even really about those two guys. It's that DJ gets recgonized for his role and Manu doesn't. In terms of silly rankings anyway. But yea, Manu never needed or tried to prove anything. I think that's a huge difference between him an 99.9% of NBA players.

PS: Kblaze mixes effing rule.

3-time NBA All-Star

SuperPippen covered the list pretty well, but once again, Sam Jones' career is MILES ahead of Manu's.

He played on teams that won TEN titles, and was a KEY member on SIX (seven counting his last season) of them.

The man hit SEVERAL game-winning shots in his playoff career, too.

He had FOUR seasons of 20+ ppg, and six of over 19, with a high of 25.9. And that 25.9 os deceptive, too, because those Celtic teams were balanced. Had he played on many other teams in his era, he would have scored even more. And, he consistently outshot the league average in FG%, too.

Then, in the post-season, he elevated his scoring, with SEVEN post-seasons of 20+, and highs of 26.7 ppg and 28.6 ppg.

And while I am not sure if he would have won any FMVP in his career (Russell probably would have beaten him out of any possible one's), he was certainly an instrumental player in the majority of them.

In any case, I don't see Ginobili having ANY case over Sam.

He's not better than JoJo White, that's for sure.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So that was just me seeing Duncan making all those timely and 1s in the playoffs the last 12 years? Or Parker going to work in 4th quarters?

Manu being the teams primary playmaking ball handler does not mean he was just told to go win them the game. It means hes a guard and bigmen arent handed the ball on inbounding plays to dribble around for 12 seconds and make something happen. Manus role on the spurs is far more position related than ability. Duncan took over many many many games. And Parker didnt win a finals MVP for nothing.

Its always been overstated to me how much heavy lifting Many really had to do in their winning years.

Especially when its compared to Dennis Johnson and its suggested he had to do so much more.

Dennis was out there guarding Magic, and Jordan, and Isiah while also running the offense, scoring, and making game winners in the finals and key defensive plays and handing out 20-30 points often enough to not be surprised. ever see footage of him on the Sonics playing full court press defense flying all over? Guy has made what you could call...title winning...defensive stops.

Not being a better down the stretch clearout scorer than Larry Bird doesnt really say anything of the comparison to Manu.

And the idea that he got so much more credit than Manu is...odd. I have no idea what you could base that on. He was a guy who helped lead a team to a tltle, was all NBA first team, 9 time all D, Bird calls the best player he ever played with, and Russell considers arguably the best celtic ever as a total player. And he wasnt top 50...and didnt even make the HOF until he had died. Every discussion of those teams is of their frontcourt. 95% of nba fans probably cant tell me a single play of his career other than the game winning layup after Birds steal.

But he gets more credit than Manu? who has 3 topics made a week with people ranking him over Jerry West, Drexler, and Wade? The guy who has been one of the more universally praised people since 04 or so? The guy people in this very topic call top 20 all time?

Where can you possibly be getting the idea that DJ got more credit for what he did than Manu has?

People are barely even aware that Dennis Johnson existed. There are people laughing at the mention of him a few inches above your post....

Very good NBA starter

It sucks to see people "get trolled" so easily when it comes to Manu.

It's like somebody comes in and fanatically ranks him top-20 all time or top-5 SG all time.... thread turns into why he isn't top-20 all time or top-5.

The actual question of "Where does Manu Ginobili rank all time" .... get's lost.

I can understand shooting down lame comparisons (Manu to, say, Wade or Kobe)... but at what point do you talk about who Ginobili is better than?

People who overrate him cause him to be underrated IMO... at least on this board... which is a small fraction of all fans... even smaller representative of the Spurs fan base... and even smaller representative of Ginobili fans.

Manu is a great player, but I've seen some names he shouldn't be over.

Ray Allen, McGrady, Joe Dumars (and I'm not even huge on JD), Vince Carter, Sam Jones, ect.

Manu and Ray Ray, VC and Mac play in the same era, and we all know who was/is the better player. Unless I missed something the past decade, please let me know?

Joe Dumars, is actually a good comparison. JD is slightly better.

Someone compared Sam Jones to Manu, I see them totally different. Jones usually led his team in scoring and was the undisputed 2nd best player on that team for a good 5 year stretch from 62 to 66 (better than Hondo, a top 20 player all-time.)

Another thing is accolades, he doesn't have many at all. 2 All-Star games, that's Terry Porter territory.

And last but not least, the number one reason he can't rank as high as these others ... HE'S A FREAKIN' 6TH MAN. I don't care how good you are, if you are that great, you get out of your 6th man role. Kevin McHale, Kobe Bryant, Clyde Drexler, ect (Sam Jones, who I just spoke about) were known as 6th men, but they didn't keep that role forever. Coach didn't say "you are real good, but I think I wanna keep you on the bench." Nope, he put their ass in the starting line-up. So all in all, a glorified 6th man, is not over any of these guys. I guarantee you James Harden won't be a 6th man in 2 seasons.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    And last but not least, the number one reason he can't rank as high as these others ... HE'S A FREAKIN' 6TH MAN.
    How does a 6th man start 400+ games, including starting in the WCF/Finals, and all season long in 2005?

How did a "6th man" start 79 games for the Spurs last season?

400+ starts... is about twice as long as James Harden's career.

I'm not saying Manu didn't thrive as a 6th man... but clearly, he's not just a 6th man.

Manu has made two All-NBA teams as well, and gotten quiet MVP buzz before. In 2005, during Duncan's prime, he was a strong candidate for Finals MVP. That's doesn't scream "6th man".