Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Magic was probably outplayed by Stockton in the 1988 WCSF

You cant have it both ways!

Magic could make some passes because of his height, which John couldnt do. Thats for sure. But John tricked as many guys as Magic and killed them even when they knew which Play the Jazz ran.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    You cant have it both ways!

Magic could make some passes because of his height, which John couldnt do. Thats for sure. But John tricked as many guys as Magic and killed them even when they knew which Play the Jazz ran.

Says the guy who calls himself L.A. Jazz.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    What's with the "GOAT pure PG" bullshit?

Magic played that position like nobody could, and has yet to reach. One series where the 2 in question didn't even guard each other isn't going to change that.
    Yes, Magic was also a pure point guard. Pass first and what impresses me most with Magic after watching old vids was not his flashy fast break passing, but his ability to consistently make the non-flashy pass in the half court to the right man. He always seemed to find guys in the position they wanted to be in at the right time. Reminds me a lot of Jason Kidd in that, making the hockey assist a lot too.

Stockton might be the GOAT half court point guard though. We have to keep in mind that the entire league knew that Stockton and Malone were going to pick and roll and they did it again and again for 10 years and no one could stop it. Of course, Stockton was an excellent mid range pick and pop shooter so if you fell back on Malone he'd punish you with a jumper. If you brought help on the PnR he'd easily find the other guy. I think Stocktons scoring ability in the half court midrange was better than Magic.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Stockton is underrated.

Dude has a legit argument for top 15 all time.
    Him and Malone both.

Malone is criminally underrated just because MJ took his two championships. Malone and Stockton in the twilight of their careers SWEPT Shaq in LA with a team of Eddie Jones, Nick Van Excel, Rick Fox, Horry, Elden Campell, Derek Fisher and Kobe. SWEPT.

If you give Malone two championships (if MJ never played), would anyone really not put him in top ten or right outside?

I've said for a long time, that Lebron is just the same tier as Malone and Barkley. Somehow people think this is a slight. It really isn't. Lebron has too many glaring errors to be truly elite tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    In no order

Jordan
    Wilt
    Magic
    Russell
    Lebron
    Kareem
    Bird
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Oscar
    West
    Baylor
    Moses
    Dr J
    Havlicek
    Karl Malone
    Barkley
    Isiah Thomas
    David Robinson
    Kevin Durant
    George Mikan
    Willis Reed
    Kevin Garnett
    Wes Unseld

That's 26 I named that are better, and there are some I left out, which are debatable.
    How exactly is KD higher than Stockton all time? Dude played like 7 seasons.

Also, Wade, Dirk, Pippen, Pettit, McAdoo, Barry, Ewing, Drexler, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    Where can I find this series complete games?
    YouTube. I watched it on the, channel, "NBA old stars" for the most part, and a couple fragmented(in 12 parts) games on other channels. Several channels have it. Easy to find.

National High School Star

If you don't have Stockton in your top 15 for basketball ratings you are a flat out hater, pure and simple.

He did it against the best, and better the best.

He is the NBA all time leader in 2 (assists, steals) of the 5 major statistical categories. That is absolutely insane. And it's not even close.

He played EVERY game in 17 out of 19 seasons, including 82 games played at age 37, 38, 39, 40.

At age 39, in the 2001 playoffs (completely modern era) he averaged 12.5 ppg, 10 apg and 2.8 spg.

At we time transported an age 39 Stockton to 2016, going into the playoffs the only point guards in the NBA that a team would clearly take ahead of him are Steph Curry and Chris Paul.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    YouTube. I watched it on the, channel, "NBA old stars" for the most part, and a couple fragmented(in 12 parts) games on other channels. Several channels have it. Easy to find.
    There is recap off the series on YouTube and Stockton is mentioned once as a small reference. Stockton had better stats in the last game but not the better game. Magic turned that game out in the fourth.

Two important things to remember about Magic. He could dominate without stats and he was very clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    There is recap off the series on YouTube and Stockton is mentioned once as a small reference. Stockton had better stats in the last game but not the better game. Magic turned that game out in the fourth.

Two important things to remember about Magic. He could dominate without stats and he was very clutch.
    ...Not sure how that matters. And throughout the series the, announcers were gushing over him and the pressure he was putting on in transition. The guy was getting doubled in transition even when off the ball by the time game 2 came around.

Also, I'm really glad you said magic could dominate games without doing much on the stat sheet because now I know for SURE to tab that as bullshit unto proven otherwise whenever it's said about a series I didn't watch.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    This is where you know this dude is a pure Kobestan and no Laker fan. Can't give the Lakers franchise's greatest player any credit.

And no, Stockton is NOT the GOAT PG. Earvin "Magic" Johnson is.

Stockton played his ass off in that series (probably his best series ever) and it seemed like Utah surprised a lot of people who took them for granted, including the Lakers. It sure did put the Jazz, and Stockton and Malone, on the map (first time I started paying attention to them).

But, we all know how that series ended--with a Lakers victory.
    Yeah because Frank Layden and Mark Ivaroni gave game 6 away. They had them beat. So much for the repeat.

Nikkas also forget jerry Sloan was a control freak back then. That series against magic he wasn't the coach...... Sloan got em running pickandroll better with Karl and the other offense but it limited Stockton he wasn't free like someone like Nash who dantoni completely made. To this day I'm not sure who deserved more credit on jazz Stockton or Malone?
    Stockton. They ran Showtime out of the building. Why Sloan insisted on the half court game after that I'll never know.

5-time NBA All-Star

...Not sure how that matters. And throughout the series the, announcers were gushing over him and the pressure he was putting on in transition. The guy was getting doubled in transition even when off the ball by the time game 2 came around.

Also, I'm really glad you said magic could dominate games without doing much on the stat sheet because now I know for SURE to tab that as bullshit unto proven otherwise whenever it's said about a series I didn't watch.
    Wait which one is it. You seen the series but couldn't tell if Stockton out played him? The title of the thread suggest you dont have a clue but the stats make you feel a certain type of way. Obviously, Magic had inferior stats but you still had to say "probably outplayed" by Stockton in the title of the thread. But above you are claiming ignorance and B.S. as to how a player without great stats can dominate.

Here is a recap video of the series.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm2g8Cy4t8I
    I think Stockton was mentioned??? Malone was mentioned and referred to often. The Laker's adjustments were about Malone. Magic won game four and game seven with clutch plays or several plays that changed the game.

The producers don't seem like Stockton haters...

Thank you.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I agree! I break it down like this:

THE GOAT PURE PG's with alpha dog scoring ability: 1.Magic 2. Big O 3. Zeke

THE GOAT PURE PG's who weren't alpha dog scorers (I consider Nash a guy who has alpha dog scoring shit): 1. Stock 2. Kidd 3. Cousy
    Why is Cousy so low? He won one MVP, 8 of the first 11 assist titles, and I dunno where to find this info, but I'm pretty positive that Cousy finished top 5 in MVP voting like six other times.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    John Stockton: 44.6mpg 19.3ppg 16.4apg 3.4rpg 4.0spg 3.71topg .505%fg .250%3pt .822%ft
    This is just filthy

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Him and Malone both.

Malone is criminally underrated just because MJ took his two championships. Malone and Stockton in the twilight of their careers SWEPT Shaq in LA with a team of Eddie Jones, Nick Van Excel, Rick Fox, Horry, Elden Campell, Derek Fisher and Kobe. SWEPT.

If you give Malone two championships (if MJ never played), would anyone really not put him in top ten or right outside?

I've said for a long time, that Lebron is just the same tier as Malone and Barkley. Somehow people think this is a slight. It really isn't. Lebron has too many glaring errors to be truly elite tier.