Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: F*ck you, Pelicans are Awesome: A Defense of the NBA's Best New Team Name

Who wouldn't want to play for a team named after a bird that stores lots of fish in its beak?

I love to watch Pelicans fly in formation and dive for food, but it doesn't make them nameworthy for a basketball team.

Anyway you put it, this is a bad idea. Just dumb.

Should have been the NO Cajuns, as someone already posted.

Default Re: F*ck you, Pelicans are Awesome: A Defense of the NBA's Best New Team Name

It's not that the Pelican isn't a worthy mascot, it's just that the name is stupid. I feel the same way about the Bobcats. Bobcats are a good enough mascot, but the name just doesn't work (it
    s better than Pelicans).

I didn't like the Thunder name choice either. It's grown on me a little I guess.

Its just a name, after a while no one will even care, there are so many horrible team names in all sports but no-one cares because most of the teams have been called that for so long, for example the "Red Sox" in baseball.. There named after a piece of clothing for godsakes, even though it's a terrible name no-one ever talks about how bad the name is because they've been called that for so long. After a year of being called the pelicans no-one will care cause everyone will be used to the name

Pelicans... I like it

It's not bad.

Spurs, Trail Blazers, Mavericks, 76ers, Nets, Cavaliers, Nuggets, Pacers, Thunder, Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz, Lakers, Heat, Magic, Suns, Nicks

All names that are clearly not better than Pelicans, and most of them clearly worse.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxhornets
    Its just a name, after a while no one will even care, there are so many horrible team names in all sports but no-one cares because most of the teams have been called that for so long, for example the "Red Sox" in baseball.. There named after a piece of clothing for godsakes, even though it's a terrible name no-one ever talks about how bad the name is because they've been called that for so long. After a year of being called the pelicans no-one will care cause everyone will be used to the name
    True. People made a huge deal about the Thunder being a terrible name. I don't even think about it anymore, and I don't hear people still complaining about the name.

Pelicans is better than Hornets regarding New Orleans anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It's not bad.

Spurs, Trail Blazers, Mavericks, 76ers, Nets, Cavaliers, Nuggets, Pacers, Thunder, Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz, Lakers, Heat, Magic, Suns, Nicks

All names that are clearly not better than Pelicans, and most of them clearly worse.
    What is wrong with those names? I like the names of the bolded ones. They make sense with where they are from. I feel like the worst names are names that aren't specific to an area and a team in any state could use it. Bucks for example are all over the country, so it doesn't signify the area. Spurs and Mavericks, make a ton of sense in Texas, as do most of the others I bolded. The only one I bolded that I just like the name to and doesn't really signify the area is the Cavs.

High School Varsity 6th Man WolfGang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    A disgusting creature is your franchise player and your avatar..so why not pelicans?
    Anthony Davis is NOT a disgusting creature. He is a good looking young man when he isn't smiling or making facial expressions.

Pelicans is probably the worse name in the NBA. Thunder is cool because...it just is. What if they changed the Lakers to the LA Crabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    What is wrong with those names? I like the names of the bolded ones. They make sense with where they are from. I feel like the worst names are names that aren't specific to an area and a team in any state could use it. Bucks for example are all over the country, so it doesn't signify the area. Spurs and Mavericks, make a ton of sense in Texas, as do most of the others I bolded. The only one I bolded that I just like the name to and doesn't really signify the area is the Cavs.
    Spurs: I understand Spurs is mostly just an alternate way of saying cowboy, but it's very silly to me. It's a clothing article. The San Antonio Boots, the San Antonio Handkerchiefs, the San Antonio Holsters, the San Antonio Spurs. All equally dumb. It's good that no other team does this.

Mavericks - i don't really know what the hell a maverick is. It's some other type of cowboy shit right? Their logo is a horse, so a maverick is a horse? It sounds dumb as hell anyway.

Trail Blazers - This name derives from the fact that the people from Portland aren't native but settled there? Am I Right? Just like every single god damned city in the US? Yeah, that name as significance.

76ers - Should have named themselves the Cheese Steaks.

Cavaliers - If you are going to name yourself after random historical dissidents you can do a hell of a lot better than a cavalier.

Heat - Very clever. Now imagine if the other NBA franchises did this as well. The Toronto Freeze. The Portland Rainstorms. The Los Angeles Scorch. The Denver Dust Bowls. Oh yeah, feeling it.

Magic - This name just sounds so vanilla. And the local significance of this name is because they have a themepark?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGang
    Disgusting creatures. I hate all birds, especially some freaky looking shit like a pelican. We should be named to Crews or Alligators or something.
    :54 to 1:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9UD9QKrQ6A

Spurs: I understand Spurs is mostly just an alternate way of saying cowboy, but it's very silly to me. It's a clothing article. The San Antonio Boots, the San Antonio Handkerchiefs, the San Antonio Holsters, the San Antonio Spurs. All equally dumb. It's good that no other team does this.

Mavericks - i don't really know what the hell a maverick is. It's some other type of cowboy shit right? Their logo is a horse, so a maverick is a horse? It sounds dumb as hell anyway.

Trail Blazers - This name derives from the fact that the people from Portland aren't native but settled there? Am I Right? Just like every single god damned city in the US? Yeah, that name as significance.

Cavaliers - If you are going to name yourself after random historical dissidents you can do a hell of a lot better than a cavalier.

Heat - Very clever. Now imagine if the other NBA franchises did this as well. The Toronto Freeze. The Portland Rainstorms. The Los Angeles Scorch. The Denver Dust Bowls. Oh yeah, feeling it.

Magic - This name just sounds so vanilla. And the local significance of this name is because they have a themepark?

Spur: 1. A short spike or spiked wheel that attaches to the heel of a rider's boot and is used to urge a horse forward.

Yes a spur is a part of your attire, but it makes sense given the area. Not saying it is a good name, but it's not a bad name.

Maverick: 2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.

The others I agree about, and do not know the origin of other than Cavs. Either way the Magic is the worst name in the NBA, and the NOPE doesn't change that.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

I think Mavericks is one of the best team names there is.

It's a synonym for "outlaw". One who goes his own way. The horse logo is a bit silly. That could have been thought out better, but it's still a great team name.

Another team did do it. The OKC Thunder. Nothing wrong with having a couple weather-based team names, and Heat just sounds cool.

The "Bulls" is actually a dumb team when pertaining to the city of Chicago. That should probably be OKC's name.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

And, I love the Magic as a team name for Orlando.

And, the lettering on the early uniforms was cool as hell. Definitely can't complain about that one.

Banned

Pelicans are indeed awesome:

I guess we look for different things. You may want something menacing, but I like things that are symbolic for the area. And I feel like you overly simplified some of the things.

I see your point about the Spurs being part of clothing, but it could also be thought of as something spiked that you jab into flesh.

A maverick can have a couple different meanings. It was originally a range animal that essentially got free from captivity. Then it later became known as a person who takes control of their own life. That is pretty cool if you ask me. I do wish that their symbol was a badass looking cowboy rather than a horse, but the name is fine to me.

Trail Blazer - That is overly simplified explanation. The Oregon Trail is one of the most significant emigrations in US history. Also, many died on the trail, and only the strong survived to make it to Oregon.

76ers - Obviously you don't appreciate history. You don't like references to the Oregon Trail or the founding of our country. Not to mention that 76ers is a also a reference to winning a war. I'm guessing you just view it as a year and say "What is intimidating about a year?" Just brace yourself if Plymouth Rock ever gets a team.

Cavs - I also think that it should be more significant to the area, but maybe they didn't want to remind people of Cleveland, lol. Could they have found a better name? Sure. But there is nothing wrong with a cavalier either.

Heat - Honestly, LA Scortch is better than the Lakers, lol. I actually don't mind the rest of those made up names either. If the weather is something that is reflective of the area, I'm cool with that. It is better than some random generic animal that could be applied to your average local high school, like Bobcats. Maybe a water creature more known for that area (not sure what that is). But then, I'm cool with the name as is because of things you can say regarding the team versus other teams ('They brought the heat tonight' for example).

Magic - When I think of Orlando, I actually do not think of anything except for theme parks. Magic is not ideal, but I don't see many better options that relate to the area.

I would love to hear what team names you would give each of these places.