Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 1960 Team USA 2nd half highlights vs USSR

Nice Great to see some of those guys playing together, amazing team.

Clear to see the game was much more physical. And who are the refs? International always considerably worse than NBA refs, ever since then

Team USA playing great D... Jerry West at that

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

The 1960 team, considered the greatest amateur Olympic team ever. Probably overall ever.

Haven't had a chance to watch it in full yet but looking forward to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4wVhQ7hX8

Given the fact that a team comprised of relatively no-names easily won the Gold in '68, and a '72 team team that didn't even have the top 3-4 college players were robbed of a gold medal...

One can only wonder what a '68 and '72 team, with it's best players would have done.

Team '68:

Barry
    Hawkins
    Lucas
    Reed
    Baylor
    Havlicek
    West
    Oscar
    Bing
    Frazier
    Russell
    Wilt
    Thurmond

Kareem, Hayes, Maravich.

Team '72:

Dr. J
    Barry
    DeBusschere
    Hawkins
    Hayes
    Havlicek
    Maravich
    West
    Archibald
    Frazier
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Gilmore

Thompson, Walton, and McAdoo.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 10-18-2014 at 01:11 PM.

bump

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    bump
    Thanks for posting. Makes me glad to be in the Lebron era. No wonder 60s basketball had no fans and is considered an * era, game looks awful. Modern D-League >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>60s international basketball

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    im glad that you agree - but why post footage that completely embarrasses wilt's era?
    dude this comeback was so weak.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Damn i dont like hating on the 60's but that game was horrible. No offensive coordination whatsoever, tons of turnovers caused by players not being able to catch passes..just horrible level all around.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    Damn i dont like hating on the 60's but that game was horrible. No offensive coordination whatsoever, tons of turnovers caused by players not being able to catch passes..just horrible level all around.
    The black-white bias.
    There is literally only 1 play in the clip when the Americans miss a pass, and this is just a few plays before the game ends and practically nobody cares. So, you couldn't be more off when it comes to describing the Americans.
    Even the Soviets, who committed more TO's, did so due to the Americans' pressure, not because they didn't know where their teammates were or because they weren't able to catch passes. Plus, the Soviets are irrelevant, everyone knew that the US were light years above everyone back then.

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

That was horrific to watch, I respect pioneers because they set the foundation, but the notion of those players (West, Baylor etc) AS THEY WERE THEN being ANYWHERE NEAR as good or better than somebody like Tmac, Wade, or Kobe....I cant even find the words to explain how absurd that is.
    Last edited by Akhenaten; 10-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.

College superstar

i mean, am i missing something here? how do you come away thinking "that was great basketball man!" people need to set their biases aside and just accept the underlying truth: this was terrible

Yep...players from the 60's would not make D-League rosters today.

Nolan Ryan was arguably the hardest throwing pitcher in MLB history, and yet Greg Maddux was a more dominant pitcher some 20 years ago.

A PED-hanced Barry Bonds' longest HR was 490 ft. A broken down 5-11 190 lb alcoholic Mickey Mantle was hitting 550 ft HRs in the 60's...and yet never approached Bonds' domination from a little over a decade ago.

Jim Brown was bigger, and likely faster than Adrian Peterson, and yet was no more dominant Peterson was just a couple of years ago. How come a more physically gifted Brown, couldn't produce far greater numbers against the much slower and smaller NFL of the 60's?

And how does Tiki Barber, in his last two seasons in the NFL, and at ages 30 and 31, put up "Brown-like" numbers in '05 and '06? I could argue that if Barber and Peterson could put up 1800-2000 yard seasons just in the last few years, that Bo Jackson, OJ Simpson, and Eric Dickerson would be demolishing their marks in those same years.

We know that Kareem at 39 years was the best center in the NBA, and was just pulverizing the likes of Hakeem and Ewing. And yet a prime Kareem couldn't hit the broadside of a barn against an aging Thurmond in three straight playoff series. And a 6-10 245 Moses just annhilated a near prime Kareem from '79 thru '83.

There is footage of a college Maravich, taken in the 60's, in which he makes Ricky Rubio look like a Russian from the 60's. And yet the Pistol was never considered to be on the level of a "one-handed" Jerry West.

Yes, the game is played somewhat differently today than the 60's, but you could make the same argument over the NBA of the 80's, as well. In the mid-80's teams were scoring 120+ ppg, and even 30-52 teams were shooting over 50% from the field. Would MJ, Magic, Bird, Ewing, and Hakeem be bench-warmers in today's NBA?

Dunking on everybody in the park

I think Laz posts blocks of text just so we won't read them and find all the lies and out of context phrases he throws in.

I never said they were bad players, just saying that particular part of the game that we saw in the footage was horrible.

And when I talked about the players not catching passes i meant mainly the Soviets. I really liked the intense defense they were playing, but the offense was horrible you gotta admit, the first 3 minutes of the video are made of bricks and turnovers one after the other, from both teams.

I think Laz posts blocks of text just so we won't read them and find all the lies and out of context phrases he throws in.

I never said they were bad players, just saying that particular part of the game that we saw in the footage was horrible.

And when I talked about the players not catching passes i meant mainly the Soviets. I really liked the intense defense they were playing, but the offense was horrible you gotta admit, the first 3 minutes of the video are made of bricks and turnovers one after the other, from both teams.
    http://youtu.be/_8D0IIW4-pU

http://youtu.be/X49Vi7IRyKE

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Yeah they aren't terrible players. Like if I saw Wilt playing at the Y i would take him on my pickup team with a top 8 pick, and he would probably be our 5th or 6th leading scorer. But compared to current NBA players? They are awful. Ryan Hollins would average 70/50/20 in his sleep in the 60s