Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Is the SG position officially the weakest position now?

for like the past decade the SG position has usually been the strongest and the Center position has usually been the weakest, but seeing how much Kobe and Wade have declined these days made me wonder if the SG position is now officially the weakest position in the league these days.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Default Re: Is the SG position officially the weakest position now?

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    for like the past decade the SG position has usually been the strongest and the Center position has usually been the weakest, but seeing how much Kobe and Wade have declined these days made me wonder if the SG position is now officially the weakest position in the league these days.
    Not to mention other guys like Ray Allen, Manu, Vince (top 5 SGs at given times) getting up in years too. Not many elite young SGs coming up.

harden ej

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    harden ej
    Those are the only two emerging star type SGs though and EJ is always injured.

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    Not to mention other guys like Ray Allen, Manu, Vince (top 5 SGs at given times) getting up in years too. Not many elite young SGs coming up.
    Yup, all the SGs are getting old and not enough young potential SGs are replacing them. OJ Mayo was suppose to be the best SG in the league after Kobe and Wade declined but Mayo has been an underachiever so far.

The only SGs I could see emerge into a star is the two players that blablabla listed and that is James Harden and Eric Gordon.

Kobe, Wade, Ray, Manu, all gone sooner than later, it sucks...No fresh, star caliber players for replacement at that position.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

I think you could see Klay Thompson and Alec Burks emerge as some really solid fringe All-Star PG's in a few years or so, but obviously that's a ways out.

Local High School Star

westbrook? rose?

College star

I was thinking about making a thread on this after last night's Lakers-Thunder game. It seems the golden age of SGs has ended, and the era of small, quick, explosive PGs has truly begun.

Out of the remaining teams in the playoffs, which ones are the true title contenders? Now look who starts at point guard for them? Tony Parker. Russell Westbrook. Rondo.

Look at the some of the teams struggling. The Lakers, the 76ers. Look at their point guard production. Sessions and Blake have combined for a tremendous 9 points in the second round, shooting under 20%, and less than 5 assists.

The Heat negate the necessity for an elite point guard through their elite wingmen, and power forward.

Kobe and Wade are the last of the best, and they are clearly not the same players as they were in their prime. Everyone wants to to mention Harden and Gordon as the next best shooting guards, but even at their best, they will never be as dominant as prime Kobe, T Mac, Vince, Wade, ect. There is a clear drop off in talent in the shooting guard position. There are more Bledsoes and Bradleys than Ray Allens and Brandon Roys.

Times are changing

umm it has and always will be C since Shaq was past his prime, not even close.

Made that high school varsity squad

His time has come...

RODNEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY STUCKEY!

Banned

MarShon Brooks

Banned

pg
    sf
    pf
    c
    sg

yup.

I would have to say YES the SG is the weakest position in the L as of now. But don't blame Kobe and Wade. I still feel Kobe is in backend prime status. And D Wade is still flat out in his prime, but just a little hobbled. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ray Ray I feel is outta his prime due to some nagging injuries and age. But Ray I still when healthy is still an All Star caliber SG. He's not that far removed. Plus on Boston, they have been splitting the pie up so good over the years that individual numbers dropped for Pierce, Ray, and KG. Manu's injuries have him past his prime, but he's still a very effective player.

Joe Johnson is flat out in his prime, but he can never live up to that huge ass contract he got. The funny thing about Joe is that he will step up in the clutch and in the all around sense is great. But he doesn't put his foot on the gas scoring enough to justify that big contract. AI, T Mac, and Vince are somewhat sad stories on different levels. T Mac due to injuries, AI due to being blackballed, and Vince due to a combo of age and the nagging injuries piling up. And let's not forget Pierce who eventually moved to the SF pretty much and shined.

So all in all the golden era of SG's didn't pan out over time exactly as we all thought longevity wise. But in HOF status, Kobe, Wade, AI, Ray, Manu (due to NBA and international combined), Pierce, and Vince should get in the HOF. T Mac might have a punchers chance when u look at his resume. And JJ in my book pretty much has no shot.

Banned

I think part of the reason why its "weak" is because there are actually a lot of good perimiter defenders in the nba that are either shooting guards or small forwards and they guard the shooting guards and make it hard on them.

In terms of the future, I don't see any guys really on the level of the golden age of SG's. U got Ellis, Gordon, George, Brooks. and Thompson as young guys on the comeup. Of this group, Ellis has the most cred. But none of these guys are great in the all around sense. In a perfect world, a guy like Roy would be leading the newer generation. He had the complete skillset and alpha dog shit that the golden era type guys had. But with no Roy, u really don't see that future pure superstar. These guys could very well develop into that status. But other than Ellis, the other guys or either injury prone or haven't have enough time to really grow into their potential yet.