Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Mamba has decent reputationMamba has decent reputation
Default I Honestly think there are too many great NBA players to have a real top 10

I want you to think about it right now.

Just NBA players based of raw talent. Without the accolades think of the greats that we have seen just in the last 30 years.

I mean each player had a different skill, was more dominant in a different way, or recieved more awards. But in all honesty, you can't go ahead and create this rankings without creating arguements.

lets compare two players, who have just been absolutely dominant in their careers.

Shaquille O'neal vs Lebron James

Shaquille O'neal averaged over his career:
23.7 ppg
10.1 rpg
1.1 bpg
58 fg%

3 Finals MVP's
4 championships
1 regular season MVP

now Lebron James averages (count in the fact lebron doesn't have his passed his prime seasons yet, so his scoring numbers will be higher than shaqs)

27.6 ppg
7.2 rpg
6.9 apg
49 fg%

3 NBA regular season MVPs
1 championship
1 finals MVP's

Now how can you turn around and say who deserves a spot higher on the all-time list. I mean Shaq was dominant yet he missed alot of playing time throughout his career with injuries (hence why only 1 regular season MVP). However Shaq was a game changer. They had to change certain defensive rules just to be able to defend him. The guy was a 7'1 340-370, magician. Never had we seen someone move there feet so quickly, get into position and just flat out dominate the Center position. He would dunk on everyone, he was just bigger and stronger. He didn't have the best post-up skills, and his free throw shooting was abysmal, but he would make sure the skills he had he would use to the best of his abilities.

He also swept out of the play-offs a couple of times, and would be lazy on defense if he didn't get the ball on offense. Certain things people forget right now, but will be mentioned in top 10 player conversations.

Than you have Lebron James. Lebron James was the youngest to do this, youngest to do that, youngest to do everything, with espn constantly making up new stats for this dude. However there is a reason why, the guys stats are absolutely through the roof. Which other players have lead there teams in so many categories, and been able to notch so many points at such a high percentage. He's a 6'9 260 pound power forward, who has the skills, speed and handle of a point guard, and the sharp-shooting of a shoot guard. A pure Hybrid player. This guy is also a game-changer, who has just dominated the league in every way he can ever since he came into it, whether it be scoring, his passing, or his triple doubles, the guy has seemed to try and do everything to make sure his team wins. I mean game 6 last year verses the Boston Celtics is just one example. Game 5 against the Pistons in 2007 is another, Game 1 against the Orlando magic in 2009 is another defining game.

However the main nit-pick people have with Lebron is that he isn't as strong mentaly, as he is physically. A young Lebron against the spurs in the finals seemed to be overwhelmed by Greg Popavich's defense, and we all saw what happened in the finals against the Dallas mavericks.

This may be why he only has 1 championship. Although the stats may show he is good in the clutch, it has been shown time and time again he is a bit shy of the buzzer beater, and has never really drained that many. It has been said time and time again "the only player that can stop Lebron James, is Lebron James." Although this has seemed to change in the last 2 years, we will have to see what he does in this years play-offs.

As many knocks as he has on his career however, the guy has shined bright over his career as well. The chase-down block is now being called "a homeage to lebron james." when someone puts up insane statistics in their game people will call it "a Lebron like performance" he has really tried to push his team as far as he can.

Back to my original point, how can you really chose between these two dominant figures who gets a higher position on the all time list. They both have their strengths, and both have their weaknesses. I mean Lebron has barely missed and regular season games, been able to take bumps no mortal man should be able to just wave off, whilst shaq has been injured numerous times in the regular season, come back overweight and out of shape.

Than you have the arguement that shaq has lead his teams to more championships, you can always say 4 > 1

But than you can say lebrons MVPs 3 > 1.

In conclusion with the arguements i have presented you can see that it is farely hard to make a ranking system for the NBA. As time goes by the players are only going to get better, they are only going to become stronger and smarter. There are always going to be more players to try and shove in the top 10 list, but that requires us as basketball fans to push a player out, that probably doesn't deserve to be taken out of consideration of being a top 10 player of all time.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: I Honestly think there are too many great NBA players to have a real top 10

you have to factor in alcolades and all that other stuff because at the end of the day the TOP 10 list is filled with people who basically all had the same amount of RAW talent, but it's what they did with that talent that sets them a part.

at this point in time on the all time list Shaq>Lebron, however this isn't fair to Lebron because his career isn't close to being finished yet.

If i had to start a franchise? Give me Lebron all day long over Shaq, i think Lebron is one of the easiest players to build around of all time.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation
Default Re: I Honestly think there are too many great NBA players to have a real top 10

gtfo with that stupid sht
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
you have to factor in alcolades and all that other stuff because at the end of the day the TOP 10 list is filled with people who basically all had the same amount of RAW talent, but it's what they did with that talent that sets them a part.

at this point in time on the all time list Shaq>Lebron, however this isn't fair to Lebron because his career isn't close to being finished yet.

If i had to start a franchise? Give me Lebron all day long over Shaq, i think Lebron is one of the easiest players to build around of all time.

Shaq was one of the easiest to build around. I dont think this is a clear cut choice. but a guy who could carry a offense, dominate his opposition on both ends of the floor and dominate the post? Its hard not to take that guy. Shaq was a unstoppable force, moreso than Lebron. Dont get me wrong, Lebron is one of the best ever and one of the most unique, but watch Shaq in his prime and tell me who you take. There was no stopping Shaq in the post, and he proved it time and time again. cant go wrong with either, but easier to build around elite bigs
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Mamba has decent reputationMamba has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
but than you have players that were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Look at Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, they would have a championship somewhere if it wasn't for Jordan, Hakeem olajuwon and David Robinson. These guys were all time great.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Then don't make a top ten list. Simple. I myself have never made one as I don't have any interest in doing so. The lists of certain knowledgeable posters are interesting solely for the rationale used in placing each player where they do, but lists and numerical rankings in and of themselves don't interest me. I'm interested more in the thought processes behind them than actual lists (and then only if they know what they're talking about).
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: