Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Stan Van Gundy still hoping to keep Greg Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    You can only have 3 other players on the court if 2 of those guys are out there. Much like every other team in the league.
    Which is exactly what I said..........

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Which is exactly what I said..........
    My point is you have a set rotation with complimentary plug and play players. Rotations usually don't go outside of 10 players, max. The Pistons have shooters, they don't have defensive players. So why waste a roster spot on a player that is a shooter you probably won't use often.

Depth Chart:
    PG - Jennings/Augustin/Bynum
    SG- Meeks/KCP/Singler
    SF - Smith/Butler/Singler/Martin/Datome
    PF - Monroe (hopefully)/Smith/Jerebko
    C - Drummond/Monroe/Gray

Your point being you need to put shooters around 2 post players for spacing. The Pistons have too many shooters at this point. Martin will be a situation plug and play shooter, but when? He's buried in the depth chart.

Get a more defensive minded, athletic player instead for plug and play situations.

So once again, the disparity between our shooters and our defensive players is large and we should have went for Aminu because Martin doesn't make sense.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    My point is you have a set rotation with complimentary plug and play players. Rotations usually don't go outside of 10 players, max. The Pistons have shooters, they don't have defensive players. So why waste a roster spot on a player that is a shooter you probably won't use often.

Depth Chart:
    PG - Jennings/Augustin/Bynum
    SG- Meeks/KCP/Singler
    SF - Smith/Butler/Singler/Martin/Datome
    PF - Monroe (hopefully)/Smith/Jerebko
    C - Drummond/Monroe/Gray

Your point being you need to put shooters around 2 post players for spacing. The Pistons have too many shooters at this point. Martin will be a situation plug and play shooter, but when? He's buried in the depth chart.

Get a more defensive minded, athletic player instead for plug and play situations.

So once again, the disparity between our shooters and our defensive players is large and we should have went for Aminu because Martin doesn't make sense.
    Agree to disagree I guess. For one, I don't expect Smith to play any SF. Wishful thinking maybe, but its how I see things shaping out given the signings. I don't expect Datome to be a factor.

Like I said, you need 3 shooters on the court at all times, so that means you need 6 or 7 shooters at least. Jennings isn't so much a shooter, but he can hit a 3 at a respectable rate at least, unlike a Stuckey or Bynum. Without Martin, one shooter goes down and your whole strategy is screwed. SVG has been very good at coaching defense, even with below average defensive talent(Nelson,Turk,Lewis etc.)

Martin is a very efficient shooter. I think he fits in very well and will battle Singler for PT. He's also first man up in case of any injuries.

I just don't see a scenario where Aminu gets on the floor. Its like having a worse Josh Smith at SF.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 07-27-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

^^ Try telling Jennings he isn't a shooter haha,

In all honesty - Aminu is still just 23 years old, was a top 10 draft pick and has supreme athleticism and size for his position. With good coaching surely he could be a factor in this league...

And isn't the contract 2 years for 2.1 million total - meaning 1 million per year???... It is just so damn cheap, too cheap to not take a flyer on him in my opinion... Under SVG I think Aminu could be a valuable asset~

And furthermore, if you look at the wing players in our division...

Lebron / George / Wiggins / Parker / Giannis...

A supremely athletic wing defender kind of makes sense if we are dealing with guys like this...

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    ^^ Try telling Jennings he isn't a shooter haha,

In all honesty - Aminu is still just 23 years old, was a top 10 draft pick and has supreme athleticism and size for his position. With good coaching surely he could be a factor in this league...

And isn't the contract 2 years for 2.1 million total - meaning 1 million per year???... It is just so damn cheap, too cheap to not take a flyer on him in my opinion... Under SVG I think Aminu could be a valuable asset~
    I just don't see the fit. We saw how clunky things got when you put a non shooter on the floor with 2 of our big 3 at the 4 and 5.

Decent college freshman

According to Hang Time Blog's John Schuhmann, the Pistons are the only NBA team which signed four free agents who ranked in the top 20 in 3-FG% last season: Jodie Meeks, D.J. Augustin, Caron Butler and Cartier Martin

"Of the 70 available free agents who attempted at least 100 threes last season, those four ranked 11th, 12th, 15th and 18th respectively in 3-point percentage, all shooting better than 39 percent,"

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

NBA lottery pick

I think Aminu is just a role player in this league. It was a good contract but I'm not upset about not going after him. He's not going to take this team to the next level.

If our second unit consists of something like:

Dre / Moose
    Jerebko
    Aminu
    KCP
    Augustin

There is enough shooting to allow it not to be clunky. I just think he was worth a flyer for 1 mil rather than butler for 5 mil or whatever we paid for him... Just adds some rangey defense, by far the best contract in the off-season in my opinion... He is pretty much making the same as Car-Martin...

Decent college freshman

Best contract of the offseason? The guy has never done anything. Lets not get crazy.

Now if Smith had been traded, I would have liked the fit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Best contract of the offseason? The guy has never done anything. Lets not get crazy.

Now if Smith had been traded, I would have liked the fit more.
    Top 10 draft pick, 23 years old, 1 mill per season - great wing defender... With the ridiculous inflation of contracts being handed out all off-season, this is an absolute steal of a contract...

I do get what you are saying, he hasn't done much I know. But he has had 2 x 20 rebound games as a wing player - that is pretty special. And still at 23 has quite a bit of upside, hence being a top 10 pick.

I am not saying he is a star, or even a starter. All I am saying is that in a league where potential gets heavily overpaid - and even role players get heavily overpaid - 1 mill per year is the absolute lowest of the lowest contracts...

Decent college freshman

I get it. I do think its a great fit for Dallas behind DIrk and Parsons. I had a similar feeling about the Ed Davis signing by LAL.

Yeah Mavs are quietly shaping championship level depth - just signed enforcer Ivan Johnson to back up Chandler - allows Wright to back up Dirk - Aminu to back up Parsons - Jefferson to fill the role Carter played... Just a bit weak at point guard though...

Yeah love the Ed Davis signing - but then signing Boozer undoes it...

NBA lottery pick

Boozer for a few million makes sense to me. The thing that doesn't make sense about it is the Lakers are pretty bad. They should have put together the worse possible team they could and tried to go after some young talent. They lose their first round pick this year if it isn't top 5..... My guess is Phoenix could have a top 10 pick.

I don't see Dallas as a contender. I do like most of their team. Without a true PG they can't contend though. I don't think Ellis is a PG in the NBA. Maybe they're hoping he can fill that position but it's going to be tough.