Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Kobe will have never even played a playoff game past age 33???

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    I don't view Kobe's legacy by what has happened these past few years. He got hurt at the end of the 2013 season because he was carrying a ridiculous offensive load for a 34 year old. Since that season his team has been ass and he's been a shell of himself due to age and injuries.
    Just like MJ last years with Wizards you can't judge HOF players at end of their careers when they are closer to retirement compared to beginning of their playing career. I mean the majority of time almost all players are shell of their former selves farther time is undefeated after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    Just like MJ last years with Wizards you can't judge HOF players at end of their careers when they are closer to retirement compared to beginning of their playing career.
    Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

Lol yeah pretty much sums it up.

Banned

Damn, forgot that Hakeem spent a year with Toronto.

Unfortunately can't forget that Nash spent time with the Lakers.

The problem is, those guys went to new teams after their decline, so it's easy to say "the Rocket days" for Hakeem. Kobe will never leave the Lakers, so there is no disconnect from his dominant days and his not-dominant days.

He should change his number again. New era!

Banned

That's a good point. Kobe has only shown serious statistical decline over the last two seasons, both of which were ended prematurely by injury and one of which featured him playing in only 6 games.

2012-2013 saw him putting up 27.3 PPG on 46% shooting, and while I doubt he'll achieve those kind of numbers again it's not like he'll be realistically expected to. He'll be 37 next season, I expect maybe 20/5/5 on 41%, or something like that. Not that that's a bad thing, everyone ages and everyone declines. Just a part of life.

how old was jordan in his last playoff game?

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    how old was jordan in his last playoff game?

So, mega thread backfire basically. OP's par for the course most times.

NBA Legend

But of course this isnt the first time you lie, fudge, or cheat the truth to support your agenda.

How "tooerant and progressive" of you

Bill Russell was 34 too, and I know that's the first thing people talk about whenever they discuss Russell and the playoffs. I'm sure the same fate awaits Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

But of course this isnt the first time you lie, fudge, or cheat the truth to support your agenda.

How "tooerant and progressive" of you
    Er, his Basketball Reference said 34, so I'm assuming they meant at the beginning of the season.

Your point is still retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Bill Russell was 34 too, and I know that's the first thing people talk about whenever they discuss Russell and the playoffs. I'm sure the same fate awaits Kobe
    Exactly. "Last playoff game played age" is probably the stupidest metric I've ever heard anyone try to use. Dumber than 3ball's Navigational Efficiency and off-ball passing.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents

Amazing how misinformation spreads. You read a poster like droid101 posting misinformation to suit his man-worshipping agenda, and you repeat it, suddenly everyone is believing false facts.

MJ was 35 years old when he was his final chip.

Also was MVP that year

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Injuries are part of the game, don't brag about goat longevity when you're irrelevant from 33 onwards

says the guy with the picture of a dude with a broke ass jumper

lmk when lebron wins without teaming up with a big man that can shoot 3s to open up his cherry picking layup lanes

Banned

people really need to take into consideration that the real kobe timeline involves playoffs and more runs at titles and more seasons of 25+ppg

we're living in the bogus alternate universe with "vetos for basketball reasons"

if that veto never happens. lakers still get howard and paul/kobe/howard are going for rings

kobe never rips his achilles in half from having to play PG for an injured nash and 2 others

kobe never gets forced to play 40 mpg late in the season just to make the playoffs

david stern literally robbed us of 1-2 more titles for Kobe and a great ending to his career

owell

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    Such an awful post. Dirk being complete garbage and your Mavs losing to the joke that is the Houston Rockets must really be bearing down on you right now.

You fault Kobe for playing with Shaq as if playing 40+ minutes a game on what was basically a two-man team at times is a knock on his longevity or something.

Then you have the audacity to point at Duncan who has had the fortune of playing in the Spurs system his ENTIRE career. His minutes have been monitored for nearly the past decade. He's regularly been able to sit out games because that's what playing in the Spurs system allows you to do. How many games did you see Kobe sitting out playing with Shaq?

And finally you say some nonsense about Kobe "basically being injured" since the '10 finals... yet he played all 82 games in '11, 58/66 in '12, and 78 games in '13 up until the Achilles injury.

Real overrated longevity right there.
    Yes...it's overrated longevity because clowns like you ignore college play for Duncan and overseas play for Dirk.

Kobe was not putting any more wear and tear on his body early on than those guys.

I didn't discount the years with Shaq...I said it was a luxury to not be the "man" on a team and have prime Shaq taking a huge burden...which is just a fact.

And yes, he has been hurt to varying degrees since 10.

Was hurt in the 11 playoffs (or at least that is what you clowns claimed when he got his shit kicked in by Dirk)

Missed the 13 playoffs.

Missed virtually all of 14 and 15...

LOL...what else do you call that? He's been right health wise for 1 playoffs since 2010. It's now 2015...

Also...there is this:

Since 99:

Dirk - 1265 played and 1234 started...44,885 minutes played
    Duncan - 1249 played and 1247 started...42,628 minutes played

Kobe - 1130 played and 1125 started...43,615 minutes played

Even then...It's not really just about that. It's about missed time. Kobe has missed a lot of games compared to Dirk and Duncan throughout their careers. So just adding up minutes and games is even a bit unfair because Kobe has had more chances. Not really any evidence that Dirk/Duncan would miss more games if given the chance to play more....

Good longevity for Kobe? Hell yes...very impressive. It's just not as good as Kobe fans want to believe.

Which is the usual story.

First we had to shatter the best game winning shot maker label (ouch...did that shatter)...now we have to take care of this GOAT longevity thing.

The dude broke down very early on and discounting what other guys have done (Duncan in college and Dirk internationally) is not a honest way to compare.

My argument is that Kobe's first 2 to 3 years really don't matter much. They matter about as much as Dirk's international play throughout his career and early on.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.