Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Things Players in Pickup Games Do That Annoy You

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    Guys who "take" fouls anytime the game is to game point. I don't mean hey I'm trying to d up and I might foul you, I mean if you get the ball inside the three point line I'm gonna bear hug you guys. Absolutely hate that.
    I'm with you 100% on that. I've had folks bear hug me just prior to breaking into the open court too, like clear path fouls - also awful.

Iv had people straight up yell no 1s. Foul em if they come inside the line on those points. I mean hey I'll yell no layups if it's game point on d and I may foul on those points but I at least try to block the shot/play defense.

NBA Superstar

Iv had people straight up yell no 1s. Foul em if they come inside the line on those points. I mean hey I'll yell no layups if it's game point on d and I may foul on those points but I at least try to block the shot/play defense.
    Right. I don't know if the former is cheating the game, but it's close. Typically, there's a reason not to foul (free throws, fouling out). In pick-up ball, it's kind of an honor code thing.

Yet in that end-of-game "no 1's" scenario, if the defense executes as they so desire, it just creates an endless stream of bear hugs and check-ups. One option is to settle for jumpers, but I choose not to let the terrorists win.

Like I said I'm generally a post player, and that option completely negates posting. Entry pass-bear hug-ball up top. Really annoying. We thought about and seriously discussed instituting a rule that 3 intentional fouls in a row equals a point in those situations but decided against it. The thing is this goes back to what someone else said about people worrying too much about winning. I mean I'm competitive and I always want to win but not to that extent. We don't get anything for winning other than fun. And that isn't fun

- Players who put zero effort into defense but shoot every time they touch the ball

- Players who trash talk for the sake of trash talking, aka constantly being a dick because they saw one Reggie Miller documentary and thought it was cool

- Players who play off ball but don't move whatsoever, make no cuts, set no picks, just spot up and wait

- Players who emulate Brandon Knight in transition..aka blatantly ignore teammates in 3-on-1 fast breaks, put their head down and barrel into the defender. Brick the layup, call a foul

- Players who have terrible handles and footwork but insist on attacking every time. Get stripped or swatted every drive but are totally oblivious to how ineffective they are

- Players who have no skills or understanding of the game whatsoever, but compensate by playing way too hard, constantly fouling hard

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    - Players who put zero effort into defense but shoot every time they touch the ball

- Players who trash talk for the sake of trash talking, aka constantly being a dick because they saw one Reggie Miller documentary and thought it was cool

- Players who play off ball but don't move whatsoever, make no cuts, set no picks, just spot up and wait

- Players who emulate Brandon Knight in transition..aka blatantly ignore teammates in 3-on-1 fast breaks, put their head down and barrel into the defender. Brick the layup, call a foul

- Players who have terrible handles and footwork but insist on attacking every time. Get stripped or swatted every drive but are totally oblivious to how ineffective they are

- Players who have no skills or understanding of the game whatsoever, but compensate by playing way too hard, constantly fouling hard
    I kicked that guy out of our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I kicked that guy out of our team.
    Dude must've been a regular James Harden if you guys kicked him out without first trying to talk to him

But for me it's less of a basketball issue and more of a mentality issue, just doesn't sit right with me when a teammate isn't engaged in half the game. Don't care if we give up easy buckets if a guy just sucks at defense..but when the guy just doesn't care it's frustrating as fvck.

Ironically I modeled my game a lot off Tony Parker, a scoring PG who sucks ass at defense

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

I play tough defense and set mean picks. I don't drive though, I'm that type of guy who spots up. I don't have handles whatsoever but I do have a wicked 3 point shot. When it's on, I have hit 2-3 in a row before (once it was 8). When it's off, I gotten better at give and gos for guys on the perimeter. Also my mid range at the corners is probably my best shot. Very rare for me to brick that shot. If I think a guy is playing dirty, I may run my mouth. Like rough defense or asking for a lot of calls that really weren't fouls. I rarely call fouls despite being hit on the hand a lot while shooting.

I also can't stand cherry pickers at all.

That guy who won't pass the ball no matter how bad he's missing.. Watched an entire team of players like that at the gym the other day. Whoever dribbled it down the court was likely to shoot it 90% of the time

Then that one guy who never moves and wonders why he never gets the ball despite a man being all over him

Like I said I'm generally a post player, and that option completely negates posting. Entry pass-bear hug-ball up top. Really annoying. We thought about and seriously discussed instituting a rule that 3 intentional fouls in a row equals a point in those situations but decided against it. The thing is this goes back to what someone else said about people worrying too much about winning. I mean I'm competitive and I always want to win but not to that extent. We don't get anything for winning other than fun. And that isn't fun
    That's why I don't post up and that's why I'm the tall guy that shoots a lot of threes. If only there were free throws in pick up games...

Those nerds that hustle and play D cuz they cant do shit on offense losers

Quote Originally Posted by DoctahG23
    > When people classify taking one step as "Getting crossed" --'
    Nothing better though than recovering and obliterating them with a block.

-When no one cares about playing defense and I'm the only one running back on defense and then they start yelling at eachother when we're losing.

-People that find any reason to get rid of the game winning point(this problem only comes from HS kids that have been raised on this soft Micky Mouse era of basketball. Foot on the line, push off, off ball "fouls", trying to call time outs on defense, over the back on put backs.

-People that can't handle a little bit of contact. Some of you that complain about people hustling and playing physical need to stfu.. I'm not gonna blatantly hit you, but I will play hard and physical. It's basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Those nerds that hustle and play D cuz they cant do shit on offense losers

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

not a pickup game situation but what I find annoying is when I'm on the court by myself working on my shot or some moves and then a guy comes up to me and asks if I want to play some 1on1 (which is fine) but when I tell him that I don't want to play the guy then starts shooting on the same hoop even though there's nobody playing on the other hoop on the other side of the court. Probably thinking: "I'm gonna play right here untill you change your mind"