Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Default Things Players in Pickup Games Do That Annoy You

What are some things in pick up games that others do that annoy you. For me it is

Teammates who do not use a pick when you set one for them
    Big man who get a rebound and just holds it and does not look up for an outlet
    Players who drive to the basket shoot and call a foul after they shot the ball 3 seconds later
    Teammates who yell shoot when you are open. Maybe I do not want to shoot because I am out of my range or I am looking for a better shot for me or a teammate
    Good or Great Shooters who think just because they can shoot the ball that means they are some great basketball player. There is more to being great at basketball then shooting.

Default Re: Things Players in Pickup Games Do That Annoy You

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
    What are some things in pick up games that others do that annoy you. For me it is

Teammates who do not use a pick when you set one for them
    Big man who get a rebound and just holds it and does not look up for an outlet
    Players who drive to the basket shoot and call a foul after they shot the ball 3 seconds later
    Teammates who yell shoot when you are open. Maybe I do not want to shoot because I am out of my range or I am looking for a better shot for me or a teammate
    Good or Great Shooters who think just because they can shoot the ball that means they are some great basketball player. There is more to being great at basketball then shooting.
    this. I always flip out when someone does this.

that and dudes who call offensive fouls.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

We have one guy that always draws a charge when we play. We would tell him to **** off but he owns the only ball in the neighborhood.

National High School Star

I'm posting from Korea. People play ball here, but pickup is different.

1. No one wants to play full-court
    2. Any sort of touching is a foul.
    3. When they try to play no 2's rule (no 3's).
    4. When one player or two players out of 8 suck. (4 on 4)
    5. When one player or two players out of 8 don't try hard. (4 on 4)
    6. When you win, and then don't retain the court (it's a Korean be nice let everyone play thing..not that bad).
    7. When people get mad playing ball. It should be fun.
    8. When people are smelly.
    9. When people always wear completely wrong clothes, i.e jeans, or a full track suit in summer.

Learning to shoot layups MtMutombo's Avatar

I play in England...

-Everyone runs 2-3 zone. Some german guys came to my gym last week and INSISTED on running a 3-2... I have no idea.
    - You always inbound - you never check the ball.
    - If you shoot from halfcourt when at least 2 of your players are behind mid-court, you get 1 point for shooting and 9 points if it goes in.
    - Im jk about the last one.

2-3 zone in pickup is ridiculous in my American playing.
    As for Korean ball, I think the everyone being nice court-change rule and the players in jeans/track suits is pretty funny.

How about oc players throwing bows and shoulders who think their wildness is somehow 1.good/a skill 2.within the rules of basketball.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Oh yeah
    Hate statpadders

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

tl;dr: OP can't make a jumper to save his life.

I hate those players who won't stop asking for the ball and keeps telling what people need to do during the game. I mean it is fine with me to follow what they are suggesting but if you keep turning the ball over or you can't drive for shit or shoot the ball then you better shut up and let someone else run the plays.

Serious playground baller

Guys who shoot 3's every time they get the ball.

Guys who don't play defense then leak (cherry pick).

Guys who call fouls (we play defender calls the foul) that do not impact the game i.e. foul called on a completed pass or on a drive when the handler gets by someone.

Learning to shoot layups Diegio's Avatar

When somehow your tallest player can't seem to get a rebound from a guy who's WAY shorter than him. (5'6 out rebounds a 6'4 9 out of 10)

Boxing out and get accused for an elbow (when clearly, I never really did raised my elbow higher than my chest or at his head level). Almost got into a fight with him

Players who don't pass to you when you're clearly wide open underneath the rim. Sometimes, taking over 5 seconds before doing so.

Players who DON'T PASS AT ALL.

No defense, only offense players.

Players that just always yell a foul whenever he drives in hard even if everyone avoids contact with that guy.
    Last edited by Diegio; 05-06-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Red face Re: Things Players in Pickup Games Do That Annoy You

Players who drive in to the lane and calls a foul the minute they're breathed on. Typically when their layup doesn't go in.

Players who you destroy when they're on the other team, and then for some reason when you're mixing the team up, they become your team mates, they're constantly telling you what to do...What is up with that?? As in, "you need to cut your guy off", "box out", "play better man"!!!

Team mates who tell you to shoot, damn man, I'll shoot when I'm going to shoot. I don't mean the odd time to encourage someone who doesn't take the open shot, I mean every time I get the ball, they're going shoot that!

I have to admit I am a no defence, cherry picker player....I often let my guy go by to the left and then try the reach around...

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    tl;dr: OP can't make a jumper to save his life.
    No I can just does not mean I want to take every shot.
    Last edited by GoSpursGo1984; 07-06-2015 at 08:47 AM.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

-When a guy is yelling/complaining about everyone else's performance, while he's shooting 0/14 with 0 rebounds.

-When people care too much about winning a pickup game.

-When people constantly foul since nobody gets to shoot free throws in pickup games or constantly push off on screens and drives to the hoop.

Earned not given

-When people throw lazy passes when you're heavily covered
    -When people call fouls because they get blocked or stripped and don't want to look stupid
    -When people intentionally try to add points or subtract points from the other team thinking no one will notice.

People that call for touch fouls whilst elbowing you in the throat for a post up whilst on the other end full over the back foul when boxing out.

The bigger/heavy player thinking its okay to commit a offensive foul because they "overpower" the smaller guys.