Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: How great is Dwight Howard, historically?

Dwight will more than likely have more DPOY awards than any player ever but it is very misrepresented if you ask me. He can't be considered in the class of defenders as Russell, Wilt, Thurmond, Kareem, Hakeem, Deke, Robinson and Alonzo. While I think Ewing, Duncan and Wallace will be caught in before Dwight is done I think they would have the same amount of DPOY awards and stood out more defensively if they played now. Dwight doesn't have to guard anybody now and is even taken off of DM Cousins when Orlando played them.

Offensively, he's ok and the quality of guys guarding him is also pathetic. Tyson Chandler and Perkins do a great job defending him and they wouldn't be able to guard most of the great centers. So DH is really hard to calculate. I think that Kareem, Wilt, Duncan and Hakeem would have their way with him on both sideds of the court without question. He would foul out quickly and be held in check. He's not quite in his prime so it is a bit unfair and most modern day centers hit their prime at 28 years of age. So its a bit premature to judge him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    He's not quite in his prime so it is a bit unfair and most modern day centers hit their prime at 28 years of age. So its a bit premature to judge him.
    Right. He's actually 26 years old.

I expect much more from him going forwards: more dominant post play, as well as maintain consistent rebounding and defense. Assuming the back holds up, Howard should dominate for the next 5 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Right. He's actually 26 years old.

I expect much more from him going forwards: more dominant post play, as well as maintain consistent rebounding and defense. Assuming the back holds up, Howard should dominate for the next 5 years at least.
    Hopefully dwight's time with Kareem will help him to keep developing his post game.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Hopefully dwight's time with Kareem will help him to keep developing his post game.
    I think his post game is fine.

It is the versatility in his offensive game that needs more work and improvement as he gets older. More bank shots, 3-9 feet jump shots, hook shots, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    He'll go down as the greatest Laker since Shaq left.
    lol

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Not very IMO. He had no competition, except for Bynum. He's the best by default.

Facts Are Misleading

He's going to rank in the top 15 players ever when it's all said and done.

If he stays healthy.

Kind of overrated considering the lack of great C's. Hs offensive game really isn't that great and his highest ppg was 21 (12fta) despite being "the man".

Though his defense is worthy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    Not very IMO. He had no competition, except for Bynum. He's the best by default.

Yeah, Dwight would have been garbage in the 60s with all those great dominant, athletic Centers they had back then.

Decent playground baller

Well he ain't Wilma Chamberlin, that's fo sure.

Pretty great.
    I actually think he's underrated due to lack of competition, not the other way around. With better competition, he'd have been forced to develop more aspects of his game, and would've had the ability to do so.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

first tier: Wilt, Jabbar, Russell, Olajuwon, Shaq

second tier: Zo, Ewing, Robinson, Dwight, etc...

he has to improve his offensive skill set and maintain his defensive domination, along with winning a couple championships as the main cog to move up. Could certainly see him retiring with as many as 6 DPOY awards. That is pretty significant.

Having religiously studied centres since the late 80's, I can categorically state that Dwight is not better than prime Zo (who was top 2-3 in MVP voting a couple of seasons), in fact Howard may have never played as well as Zo did in his rookie season, but that's arguable. Zo's illness will count against him though as he didn't have the longevity he should have.
    Howard isn't as good as Ewing either. Ewing was a better defender and scorer, and would grab 14 rebounds in todays league too.
    But he isn't far behind those 2, and a very handy 6'9 centre in this league of 6'8 power forwards playing centre and shooting threes.
    Howard would be a less skilled Shawn Kemp in the 90's (where it was mostly a big mans game).
    His smaller stature allows him to be more mobile in today's league, but not as suitable at the 5 in other era's.
    So in reality its probably unfair to compare them, the league has changed alot - even in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerspng
    fCould certainly see him retiring with as many as 6 DPOY awards. That is pretty significant.
    Which is historically almost always given to centres. Of which he is the only one that would be considered for the award. Bogut should be considered when healthy, but wont be.
    But even if he won 10, the DPOY is a pathetic joke award, like most NBA awards. I mean Ibaka might win one for being a pogo stick.

College star

Hard to say right now, just assumption based arguments really.

But in all likelihood, Dwight will finish with at least one ring, a MVP, and another DPOY. So, if that's his resume:

MVP
    4X DPOY
    Champion

You would be hard-pressed to convince someone that based off accomplishment and production, Ewing or Mourning had a better career. Really hard-pressed. And of course, this is hypothetical as stated. And I do agree Dwight is currently (and will likely end up) in the second tier of All Time centers, in the Ewing, D-Rob department. But, I think he has the potential to be at the very top of that tier, even though I believe a player like D-Rob was individually more skilled. But, if Dwight starts winning championships, MVPs, and more DPOYs?

He'll go down top 20-25 All Time.

But, in terms of current rank? I'd say he's amidst Ewing and Mourning somewhere, with great potential to be as high or higher than David Robinson.

All depends on health, production, and how he fills out his resume these next 6-8 years (much like Lebron).