Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Knowing your role on a team

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Knowing my role and knowing your limitations is a little different in my book.

My role is to distribute and score every now and then, and don't try to be Kobe. Make sure when your team mates are free, you don't dribble the ball three times before you pass it, just pass it straight away. Don't try and take over, because it won't happen.

My limitation is my lack of a reliable 3 point shot. I've worked on it for years, and it's never been trust worthy. Partly psychological, partly my form.

Case in point, court use to have high school three point line, if I am one step in I generally make them, beyond I am rubbish.

My friends use to say it's all in my head.

Three months back, they've repainted the three point line to NCAA, now guess what I'm hitting a step in which is beyond the old high school three point line...

So for me personally I work on my three point shot, it's improving....

KG always does that in games. He has a wide open three, but he takes a step in and drains the shot, instead of going for the three. It can be quite annoying

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    It's like.. there's a difference between your objective, and your tools.

Like at one point in time, my objective was to learn how to finish over the big man when he comes over to help.

My tool that I tried to use was a Tony Parker floater. But I realized over time it was an inconsistent shot for me, so I stopped using it.

So the tool was wrong, but I didn't give up my objective. I still wanted to finish over the secondary big man helper.
    this is a good post for anything in life.

It's best to step way back from your goal and view it from multiple angles, then the solution may be more simple than you think. And it seems the main idea is getting a bucket when your primary weapon is cut off. There are a million ways to do that.

It's also important, IMO, to take a fail drive assuming your teammates won't think less of you. That's one of the largest parts of sports, keeping faith in self and the faith of your teammates.

Just so that they know you will do it and even if they stop it with relative ease, you can plan your next drive off of what they did because, unless you're playing against some sort of bball savants, they will likely attempt to stop you in a similar fashion. Then, from there you can do whatever.

They may even attempt to force you to drive and that will open up even more possibilities. Often, people get mad cuz someone realizes what they are best at and goes out of their way to stop it, but really it's just making everything else that much easier and you'll still be able to do what you do from time to time because it's what you're best at.

At least that's how I see it...

-Smak

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

Very interesting topic. i've asked myself the same question. My experience is that most players have a certain skill set and stick to it. Some guys are only good at a few things but they make the best out of that. Personally I'm working on all kinds of stuff. i try to get better at almost everything, which is hard to do and at times it's like you practice one thing and you get better at it but at the same time you get worse at something else because you don't spend enough time on practicing it or you focus more on the new moves. It's hard to work on every aspect of your game if basketball is just your hobby. Therefore it might make sense to focus on certain aspects of your game. The things that come naturally to you and these things determine your role on a team.
    But personally I simply like to work on new stuff and it keeps things interesting for me.