12 - 92 Portland
    13 - 07 Spurs
    14 - 01 76ers
    15 - 00 Pacers
    16 - 02 Nets
    17 - 12 Thunder

Default Re: Rank: MJ, Kobe, and LeBron's Finals Opponents

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Agree with most of this list, but gotta say that 04 Pistons belong in that first tier. I'd consider them at third even... Rest seems about reasonable.
    I don't. They've become ridiculously overrated. All-Time great defense don't get me wrong. But overrated none the less. Especially on ISH thanks to Kobe stans.

Karl Malone was injured in the Finals. Massive hole in the lineup. His ability to stretch the interior defense from doubling Shaq with his great mid range jumper was sorely missed. As was his rebounding.

Old GP fell off suddenly, and was useless to begin with in the triangle offense. Kobe was coming off no preparation in the off season.

Then his selfish chucking of stupid jumpers with Tayshaun Prince hanging all over him, clearly gunning for a Finals MVP to remove his now stigmatic "sidekick" label is what made the Pistons look better than they were.

Even though Shaq was FEASTING on Ben Wallace.

The very next season a sophomore Wade, without near the amount of refinement, experience, skill, and certainly not the jumper of Kobe basically tore that defense to SHREDS.

Why? He didn't settle for jumpers with Prince all over him in his face. He took it to the basket, and took advantage of their lack of size protecting the basket. The Heat would've, should have won the 2005 ECF with an even older Shaq had he not gotten injured towards the end of the series.

The 2004 Pistons are one of the most overrated teams I can think of. Seriously, it's gotten ridiculous. Thanks Kobe stans !!! Where is Larry Brown now?

I don't like these types of threads, because the majority of people responding probably have only been watching basketball for five years, and if not probably have no memory of the 2007 Spurs, much less the Jordan's Bulls.

They'll just latch on to one point, one stat, one simplistic way of judging the teams and go by that.

While the Kobe stans will just use any dumb reason possible to put Kobe's opponent on top.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Ranking all of MJ's, Kobe's, LeBron's Finals Opponents:

1) 2014 San Antonio Spurs
    2) 2013 San Antonio Spurs
    3) 2008 Boston Celtics
    4) 1997 Utah Jazz
    5) 1996 Seattle Supersonics
    6) 1993 Phoenix Suns
    7) 2004 Detroit Pistons
    9) 2012 OKC Thunder
    10) 2010 Boston Celtics
    11) 1998 Utah Jazz
    12) 1992 Portland Trailblazers
    13) 1991 LA Lakers
    14) 2011 Dallas Mavericks
    15) 2007 San Antonio Spurs
    16) 2009 Orlando Magic
    17) 2000 Indiana Pacers
    18) 2002 New Jersey Nets
    19) 2001 Philadelphia 76ers

not a homer post at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    1 - 08 celtics
    2 - 97 Jazz
    3 - 04 Pistons
    4 - 93 Suns
    5 - 10 Celtics
    6 - 11 Mavericks
    7 - 14 Spurs
    8 - 96 Seattle
    9 - 98 Jazz
    10 - 91 Lakers
    11 - 13 Spurs
    12 - 09 Magic
    12 - 92 Portland
    13 - 07 Spurs
    14 - 01 76ers
    15 - 00 Pacers
    16 - 02 Nets
    17 - 12 Thunder

Homer list if I ever seen one... (And like I said, wrong on the '13 Spurs, will correct.)

2009 Magic > 2007 Spurs & 2012 Thunder? Are you crazy?

2004 Pistons 3rd? 2010 Celtics 5th and 2011 Mavericks 6th? 2014 Spurs 7th? Nearly every pick is off by about 5 spots.

You overrated the 2012 Thunder given your LeBron-centric agenda, but agreed. That's just flat out ridiculous. 2009 Magic got to the Finals because a) Mo Williams went missing b) Garnett got injured in January. Was never really the same again either. Otherwise that team would've never sniffed the Finals. That clown led them to the Finals.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

for Kobe, the best team he faced in his championship run was rarely in the finals. Most of times it was in the WCF

Homer list if I ever seen one... (And like I said, wrong on the '13 Spurs, will correct.)

2004 Pistons 3rd? 2010 Celtics 5th and 2011 Mavericks 6th? 2014 Spurs 7th? Nearly every pick is off by about 5 spots.
    04 pistons are the greatest defense of all time
    10 celtics are the second greatest defense of all time that I have ever seen.
    11 Mavericks were on point all PO's, and had the heart that I have never seen
    14 Spurs benefitted from Miami's defense being so incredibly bad, I'd wish to see them in the finals against let's say 08 celtics.

And to people underrating Magic, Dwight was a beast that year and Orlando was stacked in the role player department. They also had a top 3-4 coach in the NBA at the time. Hedo was playing like an all-star, rashard was playing like an all-star. That team was great, they would give trouble to the 13 spurs, they played a very similar style of basketball

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    I don't. They've become ridiculously overrated. All-Time great defense don't get me wrong. But overrated none the less. Especially on ISH thanks to Kobe stans.

Karl Malone was injured in the Finals. Massive hole in the lineup. His ability to stretch the interior defense from doubling Shaq with his great mid range jumper was sorely missed. As was his rebounding.

Old GP fell off suddenly, and was useless to begin with in the triangle offense. Kobe was coming off no preparation in the off season.

Then his selfish chucking of stupid jumpers with Tayshaun Prince hanging all over him, clearly gunning for a Finals MVP to remove his now stigmatic "sidekick" label is what made the Pistons look better than they were.

Even though Shaq was FEASTING on Ben Wallace.

The very next season a sophomore Wade, without near the amount of refinement, experience, skill, and certainly not the jumper of Kobe basically tore that defense to SHREDS.

Why? He didn't settle for jumpers with Prince all over him in his face. He took it to the basket, and took advantage of their lack of size protecting the basket. The Heat would've, should have won the 2005 ECF with an even older Shaq had he not gotten injured towards the end of the series.

The 2004 Pistons are one of the most overrated teams I can think of. Seriously, it's gotten ridiculous. Thanks Kobe stans !!! Where is Larry Brown now?
    the pistons made the eastern conference finals 6 years straight.. the Finals back to back.. and were a few plays away from having back to back chips. They were a really really good team who peaked in 2004 due to all their players being in their prime/peaks when they were being coached by Larry Brown.

The things is all the numbers back it up.. 95 D-Rating is absurdly low. They were breaking records all year for consecutive games with fewest points allowed.

This was right before the rule changes to come that would limit them. They couldnt be as physical which was pretty much how they won games lol

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    04 pistons are the greatest defense of all time
    10 celtics are the second greatest defense [FONT="Arial Black"]of all time that I have ever seen.[/FONT]
    11 Mavericks were on point all PO's, and had the heart that I have never seen
    14 Spurs benefitted from Miami's defense being so incredibly bad, I'd wish to see them in the finals against let's say 08 celtics.

And to people underrating Magic, Dwight was a beast that year and Orlando was stacked in the role player department. They also had a top 3-4 coach in the NBA at the time. Hedo was playing like an all-star, rashard was playing like an all-star. That team was great, they would give trouble to the 13 spurs, they played a very similar style of basketball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    for Kobe, the best team he faced in his championship run was rarely in the finals. Most of times it was in the WCF
    Oh yes. We should also consider if their greatest opponents were met in their conference finals.

51 post per day

College superstar

1) 2014 Spurs
    2) 2008 Celtics
    3) 2004 Pistons
    4) 2011 Mavs
    5) 2013 Spurs
    6) 1997 Utah Jazz
    7) 2007 Spurs
    7) 1991 Lakers (when healthy, bottom of the list if not)
    8) 1992 Blazers
    9) 1996 Sonics
    9) 2010 Celtics
    10) 1993 Suns (midgets on the perimeter, but GOAT peak PF)
    11) 2000 Pacers
    12) 1998 Jazz
    13) 2012 Thunder
    14) 2009 Magic
    18) 2002 Nets
    19) 2001 76ers

100% unbiased list

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    The things is all the numbers back it up.. 95 D-Rating is absurdly low.
    "D-Rating" alone determines the quality of an opponent? Stop. They're not as great as they're made out to be. Much like the 2011 Mavericks. A superior team just imploded because one of their superstars went nuts: LeBron in 2011, Kobe in 2004. Um also they were still the 2nd best team in the league in 2005 after the rule change. And a great defense.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    10) 1993 Suns (midgets on the perimeter, but GOAT peak PF)
    Dan Majerle 6'6 - SG / SF
    Richard Dumas 6'7 - SG / SF
    Cedric Ceballos 6'6 - SF
    Danny Ainge 6'4 - SG
    Charles Barkley 6'6 - SF / PF

I think Im one of the very few people here capable of ranking their finals opponents without bias because I watched a lot of past finals games in youtube..

My rankings:

1. 2008 Celtics
    2. 2010 Celtics
    3. 2004 Pistons
    4. 2000 Pacers
    5. 2001 Sixers
    6. 2002 Nets
    7. 2009 Magic
    8. 91 Lakers
    9. 97 Jazz
    10. 98 Jazz
    11. 96 Sonics
    12. 92 Blazers
    13. 93 Suns
    14. 12 OKC
    15. 11 Mavs
    16. 14 Spurs
    17. 07 Spurs
    18. 13 Spurs

Can you see Bran has been facing weaker finals opponent and yet still failed to have .500 record in the finals.. Dude doesnt belong to put in the same tier as Jordan, KAJ, Magic, Kobe.. He belong to choker/loser tier list where him and Wilt is fighting for number 1..