Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Default Re: If George Mikan and Jerry West played in today's game, how good would they be?

Pryzbilla would make both of them his bltch.

Banned

Default Re: If George Mikan and Jerry West played in today's game, how good would they be?

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime[B
    ]The projections I've seen have Tyler around the 15 ish range, which isn't exactly "6th man" range. What you don't get about Miller was that he didn't have the tools when he came to the NBA. He played off the bench as a hornet before becoming a Bull. He wasn't a great passer or shooter then. He developed those skills.[/B] He became even better when he went to Indiana and then Sacramento. He didn't enter the league as a great shooter or passer. Love and Tyler aren't fully developed. While it may end up Tyler won't be more than a Maddog player, he can also develop his game like Brad Miller did.

I'm not expecting greatness, just saying that the potential to develop into a star is there, and there isn't a reason to say that Mikan wouldn't have the potential to be a star either.

That's exactly why I brought up Miller, because he didn't come into the league with those skills, he had to develop and improve them. Certainly Tyler will be coming into the league with better expectations than an undrafted Miller, wouldn't you agree? When Miller came into the league, I'm sure being a Maddog 6th man on a chip team would be something to strive for.
    Please enlighten yourself with these up to date projections
    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/8516
    http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/...aftyear%3d2009

Brad Miller had the size the and the athleticism when he came into the league. What do you mean he didn't have the tools?

Yes Tyler can develop his skills, but right now he does not have a stable post game, he cannot shoot at a long range, does not have the passing ability, and most importantly he does not have the size nor athleticism to compete with NBA bigs.

Stop comparing Love to Tyler aside from both being white their games and personalities are completely different.

Even if west grow up in the 80's he would still have trouble making the league...all the training in the world can only overcome so much.
    Reasons, please, reasons.

Is it because he didn't use to perform dunks or crossovers? In case you forgot, Larry Bird didn't perform these, either, and Bird as an athlete was clearly West's inferior. Or is it something deeper. Hey, if I have the right to say whatever the hell comes to my mind without justifying it, I can also say that Bird would not survive in the 00's.

Ok, so those sites have him in the 20's. I stand corrected. I guess the general consensus isn't that Hansbrough will be a star player. However, my point about potential to develop remains.

Brad Miller had the size the and the athleticism when he came into the league. What do you mean he didn't have the tools?
    Size and athleticism? Maybe size, but he was never a great athlete. Also, he wasn't an all star because of his athleticism. He was an all star because of his passing and shooting skills, which he developed. When he was traded to Sacramento, he didn't make the all star team because of his athleticism. Vlade didn't make the all star team because he was a great athlete.

Yes Tyler can develop his skills, but right now he does not have a stable post game, he cannot shoot at a long range, does not have the passing ability, and most importantly he does not have the size nor athleticism to compete with NBA bigs.
    6'8'' 245lb isn't bad for a PF, and I think he can hold his own physically (West and Brand and Barkley could hold their own physically). Also, shooting and passing are skills that can be developed, which is one major point why I keep referencing Miller. Miller had no post game, and made a living off the elbow midrange shot, passing ability, running the floor and setting screens. Again, Tyler may NEVER be any better than he is right now, but that doesn't mean the potential to develop further isn't there. This discussion has gotten a little out of hand. My original comments were about potential to become stars in the league, not a breakdown of each players' games. I think we can agree that Mikan wouldn't be worse than Love or Hansbrough, so I think it's safe to say that if Love gets taken at 5, then it's quite possible Mikan would be considered a player who would have a good shot at being an all star one day.

Stop comparing Love to Tyler aside from both being white their games and personalities are completely different.
    I wasn't comparing their games or personalities. I was simply bringing out how both have potential, and that Mikan wouldn't be WORSE than those two. If Hansbrough can be a top 20 pick, and Love can be a top 5 pick, then certainly Mikan wouldn't be considered worse, and therefore wouldn't be a bench scrub. Contrarily, I think Mikan would have a good shot at becoming an all star if a player like Brad Miller (who coming into the league didn't have nearly the expectations of Hansbrough) could do it.
    Last edited by Showtime; 12-16-2008 at 08:59 PM.

shhhhhhh

George Mikan

Enshrined 1959
    Born: June 18, 1924
    Joliet, IL
    Died: June 2, 2005

The marquee above Madison Square Garden that flashed "George Mikan vs. Knicks" aptly told the story of basketball's original superstar. The first dominant big man in professional ball, George Mikan played with a competitive fire and zest matched by few. Playing under Hall of Fame coach Ray Meyer at DePaul University, the 6-foot-10 Mikan along with fellow Hall of Famer Bob Kurland, swatted away so many shots that in 1944 the NCAA introduced a rule that prohibited goaltending. Unaffected by the rule change, Mikan led DePaul to the 1945 NIT title. Mikan enjoyed an extraordinary professional career, most notably winning championships with the Minneapolis Lakers. A dominating offensive force, Mikan led three different professional leagues in scoring and set the standard for all future centers. He was voted the greatest player in the first half century by the Associated Press.

All-America at DePaul, 1944, 1945
    All-NBA First-Team, 1950-54
    Four-time NBA All-Star, 1951-54
    Championships with the Chicago Gears, 1947, and Minneapolis Lakers, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1952-54
    Last edited by gts; 12-16-2008 at 09:20 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Why must Jeff let this ****head always come back and **** his dumbass posts all over the forum?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Why do people always try and compare players from the past to the modern league/players. You just can't. The only thing you can compare them to is the league/players they competed against. Back then players had to take other jobs in the offseason for example, because pay was a tiny fraction of what pro athletes make now. They didn't have time, resources, equipment, staff, etc. that modern athletes have. How good do you think a guy like say VC would be if he had to take a job driving a cab in the offseason, and only made $200 a game, with no time for the physical training, and the dedicated coaching and skill development that he enjoys today?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff #1
    Would they...

A) Be better (be mentioned with Jordan/Wilt/Bird/Shaq)
    B) Be the same (superstars)
    C) Suck (rot on the bench for the OKC Thunder)

Your thoughts.
    George Mikan is not gonna be better than Jordan/Wilt/Bird/Shaq since he's actually undersized in current NBA as a center(6'10"), but would still be a superstar player and make All-star games every year. For Jerry West, well, I'm telling you he'd still be the 2nd SG in NBA franchise history, better than Kobe.

National High School Star

the players and basketball itself evolves

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Reasons, please, reasons.

Is it because he didn't use to perform dunks or crossovers? In case you forgot, Larry Bird didn't perform these, either, and Bird as an athlete was clearly West's inferior. Or is it something deeper. Hey, if I have the right to say whatever the hell comes to my mind without justifying it, I can also say that Bird would not survive in the 00's.
    It was a typo..I meant Mikan..I was in a hurry...I take that back im a huge West fan and he was a hell of an athlete

Still think Mikan might not make the league..

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Hey, if I have the right to say whatever the hell comes to my mind without justifying it, I can also say that Bird would not survive in the 00's.
    Some trolls do say that. Actually, the scary thing is they may not be trolling. I'm not sure if it's a racist thing or a "I'm 16 and have no idea what I'm talking about" thing. Maybe a little bit of both.

We know if Hedo played in the 80s he could have three MVPs too.

I can understand those who say every player before 1980 would be a scrub. Well, OK, I don't, but at least they're consistent. I don't understand those who try to pick and choose. Like, some of these posters talk about oh, Wilt and Russell and the Big O would own today. But West is a scrub. OK, then I guess every other guard in the league would be a scrub too because West dominated them. But I don't think they want to say Archibald and those others fast black guards are scrubs...

West was more of an athlete than Manu and Nash and they have no trouble blowing past people. It's very confusing.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 12-17-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Some trolls do say that. Actually, the scary thing is they may not be trolling. I'm not sure if it's a racist thing or a "I'm 16 and have no idea what I'm talking about" thing. Maybe a little bit of both.

We know if Hedo played in the 80s he could have three MVPs too.

I can understand those who say every player before 1980 would be a scrub. Well, OK, I don't, but at least they're consistent. I don't understand those who try to pick and choose. Like, some of these posters talk about oh, Wilt and Russell and the Big O would own today. But West is a scrub. OK, then I guess every other guard in the league would be a scrub too because West dominated them. But I don't think they want to say Archibald and those others fast black guards are scrubs...

West was more of an athlete than Manu and Nash and they have no trouble blowing past people. It's very confusing.
    Nailed it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    George Mikan is not gonna be better than Jordan/Wilt/Bird/Shaq since he's actually undersized in current NBA as a center(6'10"), but would still be a superstar player and make All-star games every year. For Jerry West, well, I'm telling you he'd still be the 2nd SG in NBA franchise history, better than Kobe.

How is this? West isn't even the second best SG ever RIGHT NOW. Here is the order:

Jordan
    Kobe
    Drexler
    Iverson
    Gervin
    West

West is only the sixth best SG ever. If he played today, he'd be on the same level as Travis Diener and Kirk Hinrich... so how would he be second best all-time when he couldn't even be second at his own position?

And Mikan would not be a superstar today. He'd be a Mark Madsen clone at best.

Bol'd over

How is this? West isn't even the second best SG ever RIGHT NOW. Here is the order:

Jordan
    Kobe
    Drexler
    Iverson
    Gervin
    West

West is only the sixth best SG ever. If he played today, he'd be on the same level as Travis Diener and Kirk Hinrich... so how would he be second best all-time when he couldn't even be second at his own position?

Can I borrow your crystal ball one day, I want this weeks lotto numbers...

NBA sixth man of the year

Jordan
    Kobe
    Drexler
    Iverson
    Gervin
    West

You're a ****ing retard. I hope you accidentally drive your car under a moving freight train.