Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Elvin Hayes vs Wes Unseld: Who was more improtant for the Washington Franchise ?

Both are easily the greatest players to grace a Washington uniform and formed one of the most formidable frontcourts in NBA History.

Hayes was certainly the better overall player. Though, he was considered a choker in the big moments and also checked out of games. He was also considered a locker room cancer and even insulted former owner Abe Pollin.

On the other hand, Unseld provided better intangibles, leadership, and more individual accolades. Though, he was not a very good offensive player.

Surprisingly, reports said they didn

Default Re: Elvin Hayes vs Wes Unseld: Who was more improtant for the Washington Franchise ?

JaVale McGee

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Default Re: Elvin Hayes vs Wes Unseld: Who was more improtant for the Washington Franchise ?

McGee..haha. He's a scrub next to these guys.
    Funny that they were drafted #1 and 2 respectably in 1968. But Unseld won the ROY and MVP that year. Hayes was the better overall player, but I think Unseld being a better teammate and character gave more to the organization. Unseld later on went on to coach and I think GM the team. Unseld was always reliable from what I know..even though he was not a strong offensive player.

Mcgee's a scrub next to pretty much anybody.

Good college starter

I prefer Unseld. He was more of a team player who brought the intangibles for the Bullets success. Hayes was a selfish player who care about his own shots than passing the ball. Unseld will do anything for the team. Despite his hatred toward Hayes, he still let Hayes get the freedom as a scorer.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Hamady N'Diaye

i didnt get to see either guu play and know little mpre than what you posted in th op, bit ill take unseld from what ive heard of the two. top reboinder and defender but ignited the break with his outlets

Not just Unseld had more for Bullets , he also has a better career than Hayes .

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    Not just Unseld had more for Bullets , he also has a better career than Hayes .

no he didn't have a better career lol

unseld wins this Hayes was choke artist and terrible teammate hell he was Barkley of the 70's. Bobby Dandridge the reason the Bullets won their only championship even though Hayes was the team best player.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    no he didn't have a better career lol

unseld wins this Hayes was choke artist and terrible teammate hell he was Barkley of the 70's. Bobby Dandridge the reason the Bullets won their only championship even though Hayes was the team best player.

Sure he did.
    Couldn't score like that, but everybody knew what that was.. nobody else scored like E Hayes, either, except Chamberlain, of course, and McAdoo, also of course.

Not only that though. Unseld WAS the Bullets for a long long time

Since Wes played his whole career for the franchise, I would go with Wes. He won an MVP and a ring there on top of it. It's kind of like Bron and Wade in Miami. Bron was the better player, but Wade was Mr. Miami over the long haul.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i didnt get to see either guu play and know little mpre than what you posted in th op, bit ill take unseld from what ive heard of the two. top reboinder and defender but ignited the break with his outlets

I seen them play back in the day on ESPN Classic when they damned near single handedly got destroyed by Rick Barry in 1975. barry was looking like the white version of Lebron in that finals series against the Bullets.

College superstar

Bullets couldn't even beat the Knicks until Elvin Hayes was traded to Washington. Wes Unseld played on a team with Earl Monroe and Gus Johnson and still didn't do shit in the play-offs. Hayes turned the Bullets into championship contenders.

College superstar

Bullets were a mediocre play-off team until Elvin Hayes was traded there.

No doubt Elvin was the better player than Wes. But legacy wise, Wes is more important to the Bullets. He's a HOFer, MVP, and champion ALL UNDER the Bullets banner. He never played for another team.