Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    National High School Star Twiens's Avatar

Default Cavs will take McLemore at #1

You don't pass up the BPA because you have freakin Dion Waiters in his position. He's best suited as a scorer off the bench anyway ala JR Smith.

Noel is in the Larry Sanders/Serge Ibaka mold, way too much hype around this kid.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Cavs will take McLemore at #1

I'll respect the decision of Chris Grant, who has shown an aptitude for spotting talent that sometimes goes against conventional wisdom, but I don't see this happening.

The Cavs badly need a rim protecting defensive big man and this draft just happens to have the best one to come out in some time.

It makes way too much sense not to happen. In fact, I think there is a much better chance that they'll trade the pick rather than not take Noel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'll respect the decision of Chris Grant, who has shown an aptitude for spotting talent that sometimes goes against conventional wisdom, but I don't see this happening.

The Cavs badly need a rim protecting defensive big man and this draft just happens to have the best one to come out in some time.

It makes way too much sense not to happen. In fact, I think there is a much better chance that they'll trade the pick rather than not take Noel.
    i heard noel is hoping to make it back on christmas day. hell probably get back later and pretty much have a weak year since he wouldnt be properly prepared. cavs would probably get another top pick in 2014 unless irving somehow gets the team to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dbk123
    i heard noel is hoping to make it back on christmas day. hell probably get back later and pretty much have a weak year since he wouldnt be properly prepared. cavs would probably get another top pick in 2014 unless irving somehow gets the team to the playoffs.
    The Cavs could take a pretty big leap even without Noel.

First, Varejao will be coming back. Secondly, the Cavs had the youngest starting five in the NBA for the majority of last season. Irving, Waiters, Thompson and Zeller will all be a year older and presumably a year better.

Thompson made some absolutely giant leaps last year and probably deserved consideration for MIP. He was unquestionably the MIP on the Cavs' team.

Waiters improved drastically in the last three months of the season and word is he has been an absolute gym rat since the season ended.

It's not just Kyrie. There is a lot of young talent on this team starting to mature and Varejao is one of the top centers in the East when healthy.

That's why I think taking Noel makes even more sense. With so much young talent already on the roster, they can afford to bring him along slowly and let him learn from the cagey vet (Varejao).

Again, it makes too much sense not to happen.

NBA sixth man of the year

It's incredible how many GMs will disregard the surgeries that college big men have faced before entering the NBA and just go with the hype. Noel has bust written all over him. Dude is coming off knee surgery, and he wouldn't even be available to play straight away. Whoever drafts him is probably going to regret it.

Porter would be the safe choice here to fill one of their needs, otherwise trade the freaking pick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    It's incredible how many GMs will disregard the surgeries that college big men have faced before entering the NBA and just go with the hype. Noel has bust written all over him. Dude is coming off knee surgery, and he wouldn't even be available to play straight away. Whoever drafts him is probably going to regret it.

Porter would be the safe choice here to fill one of their needs, otherwise trade the freaking pick.
    players have come back from acl injuries fine though, if your talking oden here he had knee problems that would continue to decline, same goes for the injuries perry jones and sullinger had which made them drop. Both had injuries that will possibly limit their careers if they get worse. Noel's acl isn't a chronic problem and he is young and a big man so it's not really a risky injury. Actual knee issues or back problems are the ones to worry about in young kids as they will keep getting worse.

I don't know if noel will be a star or bust though myself, I was high on him in high school but didn't get a big enough college sample. At times he looked like he had no clue where to even stand on offence but on defence he looked like bill russell. Could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut

I heard literally the same arguments about Kyrie Irving.

Maybe I should start bumping all the "bust" threads and all the threads about why Derrick Williams should have been taken over him?

There were issues with his feet. There was the tiny sample size. There was all the concerns about his size. The phrase, "he has bust written all over him," was certainly used more than once.

It's obvious Noel is going to take time to develop but if he goes to the Cavs, they already have guys like Irving and Waiters on the perimeter to take a lot of pressure off of him. He's not going to a garbage team asking him to be the #1 option or something - he can just focus on what he's good at (rim protection) and allow the rest of his game to develop with time. I have to say that this is probably one of the weaker top prospects in years though.

I'm really leaning more towards a trade, since I'm not sold on Noel, and the Cavs don't really need another shooter like McLemore.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    It's obvious Noel is going to take time to develop but if he goes to the Cavs, they already have guys like Irving and Waiters on the perimeter to take a lot of pressure off of him. He's not going to a garbage team asking him to be the #1 option or something - he can just focus on what he's good at (rim protection) and allow the rest of his game to develop with time. I have to say that this is probably one of the weaker top prospects in years though.
    In fairness, the same thing was said about Kyrie Irving. Go back and read the threads. I remember having conversations literally exactly like these.

Banned

There were issues with his feet. There was the tiny sample size. There was all the concerns about his size. The phrase, "he has bust written all over him," was certainly used more than once.

This may be true but I think that setting aside the risks, Irving was seen by most as having a higher basketball ceiling than Noel.

I don't watch much college ball so I don't know if it's actually true, Im just basing it on what I remember hearing about Irving, and what I've heard about Noel.

From what I have seen of him, I just don't see how you justify using the number one pick on him. There are safer players in college and players who are flat out better and probably always will be over in Europe waiting to be drafted. I just think drafting a guy as raw as Noel is like buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win. Fantasizing about the "best case scenario" tends to cloud your perspective on what the odds of that really are.

Why not get a guy who you know will contribute consistently on whatever level? Every pick doesn't have to be a swing for the fences, even if you have the number one pick. When the bases are loaded, just hitting a single is still useful. Striking out is not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    I'm really leaning more towards a trade, since I'm not sold on Noel, and the Cavs don't really need another shooter like McLemore.

Pau for #1 + filler.

Irving
    Waiters
    Thompson
    Gasol
    Varajao

Get it done, midget...

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Noel will be a bust I think.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    This may be true but I think that setting aside the risks, Irving was seen by most as having a higher basketball ceiling than Noel.

I don't watch much college ball so I don't know if it's actually true, Im just basing it on what I remember hearing about Irving, and what I've heard about Noel.

From what I have seen of him, I just don't see how you justify using the number one pick on him. There are safer players in college and players who are flat out better and probably always will be over in Europe waiting to be drafted. I just think drafting a guy as raw as Noel is like buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win. Fantasizing about the "best case scenario" tends to cloud your perspective on what the odds of that really are.

Why not get a guy who you know will contribute consistently on whatever level? Every pick doesn't have to be a swing for the fences, even if you have the number one pick. When the bases are loaded, just hitting a single is still useful. Striking out is not.
    I generally look toward DraftExpress first when evaluating prospects I'm not that familiar with. I'd encourage you to read the write-up and watch the video.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/

I think you're short changing Noel quite a bit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    Pau for #1 + filler.

Irving
    Waiters
    Thompson
    Gasol
    Varajao

Get it done, midget...