Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Wiggins too stiff in hips to be elite?

I saw a workout video of Andrew Wiggins and Zach Lavine the other day. Wiggins' handle looks just fine, but his hips/legs are so stiff coming out of his dribble and he's so upright that I kind of doubt he'll ever be anything close to a primary ballhandler. He has a super quick first step, but everytime he comes out of a crossover he has to reset, where his most frequent comparison -- paul george -- doesn't. Paul George isn't as quick or bouncy imo, but he's much more natural handling the ball and he just looks much more fluid when he explodes to the rim.

With that said, I still say Wiggins can become a top 20 player as soon as 2019.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Wiggins too stiff in hips to be elite?

agreed

He is primarily a 2 foot leaper and needs that gather to be at his most explosive which takes time but he's fluid enough. I have issues with his mindset. His rpg, apg and spg numbers are a joke. That tells me he isn't engaged in a lot of the action and kind of day dreaming out there. But he has special athleticism.

Good college starter

His projection is more Carmelo than Lebron if that's what you mean.

But on that Timberwolves team is more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons

A smaller, weaker, less skilled Melo?

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    A smaller, weaker, less skilled Melo?

What's his pre draft measurements? It wasn't even revealed in draftexpress.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

he has a 44 inch vert, nuff said. There is NOTHING a 40 + inch vert CANNOT overcome.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons

I think people are forgetting how great Melo was at his peak. NY Knicks had the second best record in 2013 (i think) even though JR smith was the second best player. Melo also took teams deep into the western conference playoffs in the mid 2000s'. Melo would, in my opinion, be the third or fourth best wing today behind lebron, durant for sure, and maybe behind kawhi. With that in mind, I seriously doubt Wiggins will ever be better than Melo. He's really explosive, but he isn't nearly as smooth as melo off the dribble and right now he's a mediocre shooter who could become a good one. Melo wasn't as athletics, but his first step was killer and he didn't have to reset his hips when coming out of his crossover like Wiggins. I've never seen wiggins deceive a defender with a hesitation move or a crossover and explode to the rim and make a reverse layup, for instance. That to me indicates a certain amount of stiffness that isn't conducive to being a true superstar wing player like a KD, LeBron or Prime Melo. He looks even more unguard like than Kawhi Leonard, which is pretty telling.

"3 is greater than 2" CuterThanRubio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    I think people are forgetting how great Melo was at his peak. NY Knicks had the second best record in 2013 (i think) even though JR smith was the second best player. Melo also took teams deep into the western conference playoffs in the mid 2000s'. Melo would, in my opinion, be the third or fourth best wing today behind lebron, durant for sure, and maybe behind kawhi. With that in mind, I seriously doubt Wiggins will ever be better than Melo. He's really explosive, but he isn't nearly as smooth as melo off the dribble and right now he's a mediocre shooter who could become a good one. Melo wasn't as athletics, but his first step was killer and he didn't have to reset his hips when coming out of his crossover like Wiggins. I've never seen wiggins deceive a defender with a hesitation move or a crossover and explode to the rim and make a reverse layup, for instance. That to me indicates a certain amount of stiffness that isn't conducive to being a true superstar wing player like a KD, LeBron or Prime Melo. He looks even more unguard like than Kawhi Leonard, which is pretty telling.

How many Wolves games have you watched total?

Probably zero

Just wait until next season, he's training and improving right now while you are inaccurately retroactively assessing his game.

He's too "stiff"

Posterizes the best paint protector in the league off the dribble with ease on multiple occasions, yeah, he is way too stiff, (RETARD!)

I suggest you stop posting until further notice, just because you haven't seen it, because you do not watch Wolves games, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CuterThanRubio

How many Wolves games have you watched total?

Probably zero

Just wait until next season, he's training and improving right now while you are inaccurately retroactively assessing his game.

He's too "stiff"

Posterizes the best paint protector in the league off the dribble with ease on multiple occasions, yeah, he is way too stiff, (RETARD!)

I suggest you stop posting until further notice, just because you haven't seen it, because you do not watch Wolves games, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

That defender clearly tripped on that "crossover" wiggins did in your first gif. In both of your other Gifs, wiggins is literally driving in a straight line to the basket. He's really strong, has a great first step, great length and a 44 inch vertical BUT I can never see him doing anything like this

https://youtu.be/dic-CL5mF9k

or this

https://youtu.be/XoiBMud94c0

Just look how Kobe slithers through the tiniest of creases in the defense and maneuvers in midair to get off clean shots. DWade, TMac, Vince Carter, hell, even ray allen were way better at creating off the dribble than wiggins is now, and they could all initiate an offense. I think Wiggins will be a top 20 player, but his lack of ability to really breakdown a defense will keep him from being a true all star SG/SF, along with his mediocre jumpshot. He's a great athlete, but he's missing the fluidity/change of direction to be superstar wing in my opinion. He'll be a jimmy butler, which is great, but at the same time, not nearly as good as a james harden.

Are you seriously using Kobe, one of the greatest players ever, as a measuring stick?

Wiggins has a completely different skill set, but that doesn't mean he won't be successful, he can dunk on any big man in the league and his step back is already untouchable, if he improves his shooting percentage he will be a 25ppg player easily, and how many wings are better than that?

Why would Wiggins initiate offense on a team with Ricky Rubio at pg?

Seriously, put it together!

Prepare to change your tune next season.

Local High School Star

Are you seriously using Kobe, one of the greatest players ever, as a measuring stick?

Wiggins has a completely different skill set, but that doesn't mean he won't be successful, he can dunk on any big man in the league and his step back is already untouchable, if he improves his shooting percentage he will be a 25ppg player easily, and how many wings are better than that?

Why would Wiggins initiate offense on a team with Ricky Rubio at pg?

Seriously, put it together!

Prepare to change your tune next season.
    My point is, if you're going to be an elite offensive player through athleticism alone, you're going to need the refined sort of athleticism like Kobe. Kobe had that and the ability to shoot, pass and cross the shit out of anyone to create good looks for himself and score 20 straight points at any point in a game. Wiggins has athleticism/size. That is literally it, but he's got heart and I think expectations will push him to be a repeat all star and top 20 player, but not truly elite. 25 ppg with KAT? That might not even be a good thing unless his TS% 55>.

Wiggins' hips are plenty fluid.

I've tested them out myself, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    My point is, if you're going to be an elite offensive player through athleticism alone, you're going to need the refined sort of athleticism like Kobe. Kobe had that and the ability to shoot, pass and cross the shit out of anyone to create good looks for himself and score 20 straight points at any point in a game. Wiggins has athleticism/size. That is literally it, but he's got heart and I think expectations will push him to be a repeat all star and top 20 player, but not truly elite. 25 ppg with KAT? That might not even be a good thing unless his TS% 55>.

Wiggins has greater athletic abilities than Kobe, 44 inch vertical, already averaging 20 in his second year and you are doubting his potential because you think he is "stiff"

Ridiculous

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHiHP7ag...2wiggins&hl=en

Local High School Star

Wiggins has greater athletic abilities than Kobe, 44 inch vertical, already averaging 20 in his second year and you are doubting his potential because you think he is "stiff"

Ridiculous

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHiHP7ag...2wiggins&hl=en
    We'll see dude. I'm rooting for him, but he simply looks more like a forward than a guard. Looking back, kobe drastically improved as a shooter between 2001 and 2007, in 2006 he became an excellent midrange shooter percentage wise, so if wiggins can shoot 44% on those shots, he can definitely average 25 ppg on a good team. That's a rare sort of improvement, but he has the work ethic, and if he keeps getting better as a shooter, he'll be a top 10-15 player i think because he already finishes extremely well at the rim, and he'll only get stronger. I