Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Re: Plumbing vs. Forestry

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Tell me what you majored in then let's talk history, politics, and psychology.

I am extremely interested in these subjects, just not vocationally, so I dropped out of school and learn what I can about them on my own simply for my own personal development.

But you presumably have a bachelors and therefore are more learned than I in these subjects. Even if it's an unrelated degree. You still went to college and thus know these things well.

So I assume you know far more than me, and I would like to pick your brain.

What was your field of study?

I had a feeling this might abruptly end the convo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta

Yeah, science doesn't pay very well compared to lots of other things. I know FRS members who don't earn more than 100,000 pounds a year, and it takes basically your whole life to get to that level, and most never get there. Most don't even get group leader positions.

Though in America you can make much more, but the science is less enjoyable, as you're always having to apply for funding, which takes time from research, whereas in the UK you have your funding for 5 years when you have't got to worry about it. Alan Ashworth is earning a fortune down in San Francisco now, but that's really a rarity, probably like .01% of people who go into science or something.

So yeah, it obviously has to be your passion for it to be worthwhile.
    Lol, that is not an accurate assessment of funding in either systems.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Lol, that is not an accurate assessment of funding in either systems.

We're still waiting for the specifics on why you disagreed with my assessment of the economics.

So give us that first, before you detail your reasons for disagreeing with his statement.

But obv I'm only kidding bc everyone knows youre a completely hollow fraud and will never provide specifics on WHY you disagree with anyone. You're afraid to be wrong and lose the credibility you THINK you have as a pretend know-it-all.

How come you never drop any science info on us? Like if that's all your life is, make some interesting threads about news items and give us the scientists take. I like nature, I support the environment and conservation. Drop some cool knowledge on us from time to time! You never do that! You never say anything interesting or informative. You never offer any substance at all. You're a total empty poser. We all know it. But you keep pretending otherwise.

We're tired of it deuce. We want you to demonstrate competence in SOMETHING. We WANT to believe in you, Josh. We do. But do something to make us believe. Throw us a friggin bone here.

We're still waiting for the specifics on why you disagreed with my assessment of the economics.

So give us that first, before you detail your reasons for disagreeing with his statement.

But obv I'm only kidding bc everyone knows youre a completely hollow fraud and will never provide specifics on WHY you disagree with anyone. You're afraid to be wrong and lose the credibility you THINK you have as a pretend know-it-all.

How come you never drop any science info on us? Like if that's all your life is, make some interesting threads about news items and give us the scientists take. I like nature, I support the environment and conservation. Drop some cool knowledge on us from time to time! You never do that! You never say anything interesting or informative. You never offer any substance at all. You're a total empty poser. We all know it. But you keep pretending otherwise.

We're tired of it deuce. We want you to demonstrate competence in SOMETHING. We WANT to believe in you, Josh. We do. But do something to make us believe. Throw us a friggin bone here.
    I write peer reviewed papers, go to seminars, and attend conferences. I have a professional life. I don't feel the need to be an extension agent on a basketball message for fulfillment of my scientific knowledge. Moreover, I provided my reasoning in the other thread. For some reason (i.e. you're an attention whore) you felt the need to make another thread because your vapid life provides you with little to no social or professional interaction.

That's one of the major differences between you and I. ISH is your life. ISH is a part of my life.

Banned

I just read this entire thread.

At first glance of the title I thought it was about taking a shiitt and having plumbing vs taking a shiit in the forest.

I guess that is the camping man in me.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I write peer reviewed papers, go to seminars, and attend conferences. I have a professional life. I don't feel the need to be an extension agent on a basketball message for fulfillment of my scientific knowledge. Moreover, I provided my reasoning in the other thread. For some reason (i.e. you're an attention whore) you felt the need to make another thread because your vapid life provides you with little to no social or professional interaction.

That's one of the major differences between you and I. ISH is your life. ISH is a part of my life.

Is a picture not worth a thousand words?

I've posted myriad pics of my life away from the computer. Your pics are always you smiling sheepishly in front of the computer with diaper rash on your face. Or pics of you wandering through the trees at work.

Have you ever been out in a social situation? There's scant proof of such endeavors here so far.

Link us to one of your papers. Share with us some info. You share your 'opinions' (telling people 'ure teh stupid, im smarter') and you post computer selfies. So it's not like you "don't have time" to share some real things.

Why don't you ever share insights? Specifics of your views? Work you've done?

You always make claims (like the one five years back about having a girlfriend) but then you always get exposed for lying.

We just want the truth, Josh. That's all.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 03-19-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Look at those rosy cheeks!!!

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Look at those rosy cheeks!!!

Guy is like half flamingo.

Decent playground baller WindmiLL's Avatar

Guy is like half flamingo.

He has his own youtube channel too

https://www.youtube.com/user/FreddyFairhair

National High School Star

It depends on the definition of success.

Foresty degrees exist? I would presume that only people that don't have to worry about money would get a degree like that; most relatively poor people that I've known that have worked their way up have gotten business, engineering, or med. Engineering and med are consistent high pay, while business [finance] has the highest upside.

That's where the money is made... along with big law...

But even then, I think that the economy is starting to shift the majority of pay away from the financial industry... For example, last year was the first time in a while that my bonus didn't exceed my base pay
    Last edited by Kvnzhangyay; 03-19-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Bruh I'm comparing the SALARIES of a masters degree occupation to a labor occupation to dispute the notion that more degree holders will make the country more prosperous.
    No, what you're comparing is a career choice for an individual based on financial factors. A discussion about what is good for a robust and prosperous nation is a much different conversation.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    No, what you're comparing is a career choice for an individual based on financial factors. A discussion about what is good for a robust and prosperous nation is a much different conversation.

Yes, to dispute the notion (perpetuated by deuce among other libtards) that an absense of a degree holds people back financially. It doesnt have to. The stats show what they do bc many people who dont get a degree also dont maximize their other possibilities, bc they are often simply low quality people.

Someone who WANTS to earn a good living without a degree has plenty of opportunity. Deuce has made less money in his life than a plumber even tho he has a masters degree. So dont tell me the key to improving the populace's ecomic prospects is to add more schooling. It clearly ISNT.

Also if you dont understand what Im saying, dont make shit up just so you can contradict me. Thanks.

National High School Star

Yes, to dispute the notion (perpetuated by deuce among other libtards) that an absense of a degree holds people back financially. It doesnt have to. The stats show what they do bc many people who dont get a degree also dont maximize their other possibilities, bc they are often simply low quality people.

Someone who WANTS to earn a good living without a degree has plenty of opportunity. Deuce has made less money in his life than a plumber even tho he has a masters degree. So dont tell me the key to improving the populace's ecomic prospects is to add more schooling. It clearly ISNT.

Also if you dont understand what Im saying, dont make shit up just so you can contradict me. Thanks.
    It doesn't hold then back, but the chances of being successful with a college degree is exponentially higher

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    if you think that subjects like political science and psychology are "vague shit you could easily learn on your own" I don't know of we have a common basis to talk about the benefits and challenges of higher education.
    It seems that you think that a country/society works like a company, and that we are not "citizens" but human capital. It'd be short-sighted a prosperous society follows purely from cost-benefit calculations.

also, did you just quote Marc f*cking Cuban to prove your point on student loans?
    I took a multidisciplinary undergrad, but I had a choice of a fair few modules from political science, and yes, that subject is utter trash. It cannot only be learned on your own, it can be learned far, far better on your own. Their need to categorise, to simplify, and to break things down into easily digestible pieces, completely destroys any kind of intelligent analysis of political phenomenon. Not to mention that politics does not exist in a vacuum, and cannot be separately studied like it is and be at all relevant to understanding the real world.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    the "liberal" thought process is not only about making more money. One part certainly is to enable everyone independently of their socio-economic background to go study so they can theoretically take up any job they want (be it in the field of forestry or to become a lawyer).
    Also, in a knowledge-based economy which we live in in the western world, it is clearly and unequivocally better to improve opportunities for everyone to go study.
    If you really think a society is better of with more vocational training and less college, you're stupid.
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read