Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Clippers ALL DAY

Default Kareem is Overrated

1971 Championship : Kareem shouldn't get too much credit. That 70s era was the weakest era in nba history. Also stop with the BS saying Oscar was useless that year. He averaged 18/5/9 that year in playoffs.

Then he goes to Lakers in 1975 and he doesn't start winning until Magic comes along in 1980.

Then he starts winning 'ships again while playing with the best PG of all time. Where was this "GOAT" Kareem before Magic? How come he wasn't able to lead his team?

I give Kareem credit for his longevity but that's pretty much all. Let Wilt, Shaq, or Hakeem play with Magic and they would do much better than Kareem.
    Last edited by GS1905; 08-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.

caillou swag

Default Re: Kareem is Overrated

they overrate him when dudes be thinking Kareem and MJ are actually close

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

six mvps though

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    six mvps though
    Pretty much all of them are in the 70's. 70s era = WEAK

Plus he wouldn't win his last MVP in 1979-80 if it wasn't for Magic.

Lakers finished 5th in the Western Conference with 45-37 in 1977-78 and 5th again in 78-79 with 47-35. Then Magic comes along and Lakers win 60 games. Yup, that's how Kareem won his last MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by GS1905
    1971 Championship : Kareem shouldn't get too much credit. That 70s era was the weakest era in nba history. Also stop with the BS saying Oscar was useless that year. He averaged 18/5/9 that year in playoffs.

Then he goes to Lakers in 1975 and he doesn't start winning until Magic comes along in 1980.

Then he starts winning 'ships again while playing with the best PG of all time. Where was this "GOAT" Hakeem before Magic? How come he wasn't able to lead his team?

I give Kareem credit for his longevity but that's pretty much all. Let Wilt, Shaq, or Hakeem play with Magic and they would do much better than Kareem.
    I looked as you as a clown when you made a thread that AI is the 2nd best sg of all-time, but I actually completely agree with you in this. Kareem is way too overrated. In the '71 Playoffs, an over the hill Wilt fought prime Kareem to a standstill. In the '72 Playoffs, a different story because Wilt was playing with an injury. We must not also forget the sweep against Walton.

I rule the local playground Soothing Layup's Avatar

Then he starts winning 'ships again while playing with the best PG of all time. Where was this "GOAT" Hakeem before Magic? How come he wasn't able to lead his team?

Doh!

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Soothing Layup
    Doh!
    Edited.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Pretty much all of them are in the 70's. 70s era = WEAK

Plus he wouldn't win his last MVP in 1979-80 if it wasn't for Magic.

Lakers finished 5th in the Western Conference with 45-37 in 1977-78 and 5th again in 78-79 with 47-35. Then Magic comes along and Lakers win 60 games. Yup, that's how Kareem won his last MVP.
    I'm the guy that brought up the Kareem not winning rings without GOAT pgs argument in the "Hakeem" isn't top 10 thread.

I did it not to discredit Kareem, but to blow a hole in the criteria dude was using to downgrade Dream.

KAJ was a great player, but the game is still 5 on 5...

I disagree with 70s being a weak era and in the context of this discussion,here is the bulletproof case....look at all the centers in the HOF and top 50...and I'm sure their careers overlapped
    wes unseld, willis reed, wilt, , lanier, thurmond,moses, walton,elvin hayes,cowens,gilmore

these are the guys kareem played against night in and night out in the 1970s..and earned his mvp awards against....

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

In alot of ways Kareem overrated is sort of an easy argument because he is soo highly rated. He has an excellent argument as the best ever (MVP's, all-time scoring, all-time rebounding, titles, finals MVP's, record at UCLA) ad when someone can be argued as the best ever at anything, overrating is bound to happen...

but, why discount his title pre-Magic -as a rookie and the best player on the team - just to argue he needed Magic for the other titles...and why did he need Magic. One was the MVP and best player in the league for about a decade, the other was a rookie. Also, how many did Magic win without Kareem?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    I looked as you as a clown when you made a thread that AI is the 2nd best sg of all-time
    lb for lb, he is. A 6'1, 165 lb SG won MVP and made everyone that was bigger and stronger his little bitch boy that season.

Besides all records and awards...He was 7'2 who had one of the most unguardable offensive weapons. Other than that he was good to great almost everything about basketball.

I doubt he is overrated.Actually he is underrated in some of the lists.

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    I'm the guy that brought up the Kareem not winning rings without GOAT pgs argument in the "Hakeem" isn't top 10 thread.

I did it not to discredit Kareem, but to blow a hole in the criteria dude was using to downgrade Dream.

KAJ was a great player, but the game is still 5 on 5...

I disagree with 70s being a weak era and in the context of this discussion,here is the bulletproof case....look at all the centers in the HOF and top 50...and I'm sure their careers overlapped
    wes unseld, willis reed, wilt, , lanier, thurmond,moses, walton,elvin hayes,cowens,gilmore

these are the guys kareem played against night in and night out in the 1970s..and earned his mvp awards against....
    You're the one who brought it up in that thread but I was already thinking the same thing and posted that on a different thread before. So it has nothing to do with you.

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
    In alot of ways Kareem overrated is sort of an easy argument because he is soo highly rated. He has an excellent argument as the best ever (MVP's, all-time scoring, all-time rebounding, titles, finals MVP's, record at UCLA) ad when someone can be argued as the best ever at anything, overrating is bound to happen...

but, why discount his title pre-Magic -as a rookie and the best player on the team - just to argue he needed Magic for the other titles...and why did he need Magic. One was the MVP and best player in the league for about a decade, the other was a rookie. Also, how many did Magic win without Kareem?
    Then why didn't Kareem win with the Lakers before Magic arrived? Magic was a rookie but he had one of the best rookie seasons ever. He was ready for Nba so it doesn't matter that he was a rookie. He scored close to 1500 points in his rookie season as a PG for gods sake.

FYI Magic only played 2 seasons after Kareem retired because of HIV and he took that garbage Lakers team to the finals in '91.

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    lb for lb, he is. A 6'1, 165 lb SG won MVP and made everyone that was bigger and stronger his little bitch boy that season.

Plus most peple got me wrong in that thread. I wasn't talking about their team accomplishments in that thread. I was talking about individual accomplishments and individual performance.