Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Shaq calls Nash's MVPs "tainted"

O'Neal calls Nash's MVPs 'tainted'

Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Feb. 24, 2007 12:00 AM
    MINNESOTA - Often, Steve Nash is sainted for his two MVP seasons, but Shaquille O'Neal considers them to be "tainted."

After Miami's loss in Dallas on Thursday, O'Neal was engaged in an MVP discussion as it related to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki. O'Neal questioned how the media picks MVPs and said the award has been "tainted" the past two seasons. O'Neal was the runner-up for Nash's first MVP in 2005.

O'Neal repeated "tainted" references to reporters.
    advertisement

"I don't know what to say," Nash said. "I'm sorry he feels that way."

Oh snapz

Banned

Default Re: Shaq calls Nash's MVPs "tainted"

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Oh snapz
    O'Neil is probably like I dominated the keague like almost no other for 3 str8 years and only got 1 MVP. You could have put me on any team in the NBA and they would have had a shot in the playoffs. I was that valuable of a player but I only got one. Nash isnt even half that good. Thats prob why he thinks his MVP's are tainted.

I bet if you got more honest opinions from NBA players they would agree.

Football In The Groin funkylikemonkey's Avatar

Shaq is just saying things for the sake of staying them. He loves the spotlight and can't stand when someone else is being mentioned for their achievements. He's one of the funniest NBA players ever, but has the mentality of a jealous teenager.

I bet if you got more honest opinions from NBA players they would agree.
    Actually I think many players have let the media convince them that Nash is the MVP. Ray Allen called him the best player in the league a few weeks back
    Last edited by konex; 02-24-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Banned

I made a thread a few days ago pointing out the timeframe of Wade's comments about Dirk not being a good leader in the Finals.. this was right at the time Dirk was considered the consensus MVP.. my theory was that Shaq told Wade to say this to prevent Dirk from getitng MVP..

After reading this I have ZERO doubt that is what happened... he now seems to be doing the same thing with Nash too..

I don't like that, I just want to hear the whole conversation, but calling Nash's MVP tainted is not right... Nash is one of the hardest guys to guard on offense if not the hardest... sure defensively he's not the greatest, but he's better than people give him credit for on defense... to me, he still deserved those two MVPs and for Shaq to call 'em tainted while he hasn't done sh!t for his team this year, thats just disrespect...

Quote Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
    Shaq is just saying things for the sake of staying them. He loves the spotlight and can't stand when someone else is being mentioned for their achievements. He's one of the funniest NBA players ever, but has the mentality of a jealous teenager.
    Exactly. I like Shaq, but he's always had that mentality. When Kobe was becoming a top player in the league, Shaq was angry and wanted all the glory. When Wade basically took over the series and won the heat the championship, all Shaq could muster out was "I told him he could do it, he's humble, he listens to me (give me the glory) type stuff.

So, in the case of the MVP, that statement seems to have "If I can't have it, nobody else should" written all over it.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore jaja's Avatar

shaq hasnt said anythign none of use havent realized. its just PC and good media relations to not question it, but frankly nash is a very week mvp. he certainly didnt deserve it the last two years, especially the first

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    Exactly. I like Shaq, but he's always had that mentality. When Kobe was becoming a top player in the league, Shaq was angry and wanted all the glory. When Wade basically took over the series and won the heat the championship, all Shaq could muster out was "I told him he could do it, he's humble, he listens to me (give me the glory) type stuff.

So, in the case of the MVP, that statement seems to have "If I can't have it, nobody else should" written all over it.
    You forgot Penny...

Quote Originally Posted by jaja
    shaq hasnt said anythign none of use havent realized. its just PC and good media relations to not question it, but frankly nash is a very week mvp. he certainly didnt deserve it the last two years, especially the first
    I don't mind Nash having 1... He did turn that team around when he joined... but two... no... Dirk should have been MVP last year and should be on his way to a second this year. Nash was a three pointer away from being bounced from the first round...

Quote Originally Posted by jaja
    Ya, since you know how every 3rd sports journalist does question it. Why is it not "PC" to question something like this? Its not offensive to anyone if this is questioned, so I don't see how it is not "PC"

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I don't mind Nash having 1... He did turn that team around when he joined... but two... no... Dirk should have been MVP last year and should be on his way to a second this year. Nash was a three pointer away from being bounced from the first round...
    If Nash deserved it the first year, then he definitely deserved it the second year. I wouldn't have been mad if Dirk had won it, but they were a front runner in the west. W/O Amare the media had written off Phoenix and yet Nash carried them to another West finals with a bunch of new players and improved on his numbers from his first MVP season.

If Nash deserved it the first year, then he definitely deserved it the second year. I wouldn't have been mad if Dirk had won it, but they were a front runner in the west. W/O Amare the media had written off Phoenix and yet Nash carried them to another West finals with a bunch of new players and improved on his numbers from his first MVP season.
    The Suns had a bunch of excellent players. The media wrote them off because no one really knew how good a team they were, but I think that Dirk deserved the award more than Nash last season. Dirk played excellent ball, and his team had an excellent record. I don't think Nash deserved the award over Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    The Suns had a bunch of excellent players. The media wrote them off because no one really knew how good a team they were, but I think that Dirk deserved the award more than Nash last season. Dirk played excellent ball, and his team had an excellent record. I don't think Nash deserved the award over Dirk.
    Well, if Shaq had said straight up, "Dirk deserved it over Nash," it would seem like more of a legitimate statement. Instead it seems like he said what he said because Nash got it over himself (Shaq).
    Last edited by bokes15; 02-24-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Well, if Shaq had said straight up, "Dirk deserved it over Nash," it would seem like more of a legitimate statement. Instead it seems like he said what he said to make because Nash got it over himself (Shaq).
    Oh no, I'm with you on that. Shaq talks entirely too much. He's not even the MVP of his team. He needs to be a little more concerned about his team and less about what Nash won and hasn't won. He has a way of making everything about him...