Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wade or Iverson?

i mean, just look at the final 3 possessions in regulation of game 5 against Boston.

Wade is down low at the rim and protecting the rim. Wade altered all 3 of Boston's final 3 shots there at the rim... all misses because of Wade, and Wade was a big reason why Boston didn't score a single bucket in the final 4 minutes of regulation.. and only had 4 pts in all of overtime.

Iverson can't do those things. And Wade is a beast rebounder in the paint against bigger men,. Moreover Wade is a beast shot blocker and routinely blocks 7 footers at the rim.

Wade is also an excellent post up player so you can't use that for iverson. Wade's post up game has been compared to jordan by coaches in the NBA

Only Jordan played so big as a guard against big men like Wade does.

I can go on and on and list so much more that Wade has over Iverson, it's not even funny.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Anyone who would say it's a clear cut answer or Wade>>>Iverson easily... or even Iverson>>Wade easily... DID NOT watch both players in their prime. I watched the entire prime of Iverson as well as Wade. Btw... Wade is not a better playmaker than Iverson. More unselfish? Yes. Better passer/playmaker? What evidence do you have for this? Both have the same career apg, Iverson a higher prime apg. All this with Iverson playing with FAR less offensive weapons. If you want to get into hypothetical imagine how many assists Iverson would average next to a scoring threat like Shaq or Lebron?
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 05-15-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Well even so I can definitely dock Wade some points for playing in a league where refs send you to the line for every touch foul. You need to educate yourself. Iverson got MURDERED on a regular basis and even then didn't always get fouls. If he played in this pus*y D Whistle era where a bump was a foul dude would of averaged 40 ppg. What I also will hold against Wade is... he doesn't have to deal with top defending Centers of all time like prime Shaq, Mutombo, Ratliff, Ben Wallace etc. Unless it's Dwight Howard or MAYBE Bogut.. nobody nowadays has an interior presence like these players did defensively.

So tougher reffing and more difficult competition= Iverson>>>Wade.
    Any star player who attacks the basket regularly in today's game is accorded the same treatment as Wade. Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, Rose, etc. are all treated the same. The D-Whistle nonsense does nothing for your argument, it only makes you look foolish and makes you look like a meatball fan. I also don't buy your Iverson was getting murdered all the time in a much better defensive era argument. It was a bit tougher in Iverson's prime, but the league had already changed drastically since the early 90's. Teams already couldn't play the same way the old pistons and Knick teams played. A large part of Iverson being murdered is because he was so damn small and reckless. He had the same recklessness as wade, except he was 4 inches shorter and 50 pounds or so lighter. This will definitely make him look like he was getting bounced around a lot, which he certainly was. As for him averaging 40 points in today's game, that is simply absurd and is just you using hyperbole to support your flawed argument.

Local High School Star

i laugh at some posters here who think Iverson was a better scorer. That just goes to show you how some people watch only the highlights or look at the points in the box scores.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Clippersfan does bring up an interesting point though.. big men back in the early 00s were much, much better rim protectors than those of today and back then there were no soft perimeter rules.. plenty of handchecking + zone defense. Wade exploded after the new rules went into effect making it easier for perimeter players to score and draw fouls.. and what do you know.. wade is the 5th highest foul drawer in the history of the NBA behind the likes of guys like Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille Oneal.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Any star player who attacks the basket regularly in today's game is accorded the same treatment as Wade. Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, Rose, etc. are all treated the same. The D-Whistle nonsense does nothing for your argument, it only makes you look foolish and makes you look like a meatball fan. I also don't buy your Iverson was getting murdered all the time in a much better defensive era argument. It was a bit tougher in Iverson's prime, but the league had already changed drastically since the early 90's. Teams already couldn't play the same way the old pistons and Knick teams played. A large part of Iverson being murdered is because he was so damn small and reckless. He had the same recklessness as wade, except he was 4 inches shorter and 50 pounds or so lighter. This will definitely make him look like he was getting bounced around a lot, which he certainly was. As for him averaging 40 points in today's game, that is simply absurd and is just you using hyperbole to support your flawed argument.
    Um no dude.. just no. I didn't say only Wade got the treatment. I'm saying this era in general.. is MUCH different than 2001. Refs call every fu**ing bump a foul now even in playoff games. Reckless or not.. Iverson played in a much rougher era. Just like Jordan played in the toughest era of all time it DOES make a difference in production obviously. Do you know how good of paint enforcers/defenders prime Shaq, Mutombo, Ben Wallace and Theo Ratliff were? Imagine 4-5 Dwight Howard caliber bigs in the league that are allowed to be more physical with you?

Anyone who would say it's a clear cut answer or Wade>>>Iverson easily... or even Iverson>>Wade easily... DID NOT watch both players in their prime. I watched the entire prime of Iverson as well as Wade. Btw... Wade is not a better playmaker than Iverson. More unselfish? Yes. Better passer/playmaker? What evidence do you have for this? Both have the same career apg, Iverson a higher prime apg. All this with Iverson playing with FAR less offensive weapons. If you want to get into hypothetical imagine how many assists Iverson would average next to a scoring threat like Shaq or Lebron?
    I'm definitely not saying one is clear cut better than the other. I think they're both on the same level, with both possessing advantages over the other. I've seen the entire career of Iverson, from his rookie season in 96-97 to his last days in the league. I've seen Wade since his first playing season for Marquette in 01-02. Wade certainly is the better playmaker. I don't care what the numbers say. Wade was always much better equipped in running a half court offense than Iverson.

If some of you cant see that Iverson is a chucker and infinitely worse than Wade than Check his peak years as far as poitns go, his fg % was under 40 one year and barely over 40 the next. As to wear Wade's peak is 50. Iverson is overrated to hell and back on this site

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Clippersfan does bring up an interesting point though.. big men back in the early 00s were much, much better rim protectors than those of today and back then there were no soft perimeter rules.. plenty of handchecking + zone defense. Wade exploded after the new rules went into effect making it easier for perimeter players to score and draw fouls.. and what do you know.. wade is the 5th highest foul drawer in the history of the NBA behind the likes of guys like Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille Oneal.
    All I'm trying to say here. Thank you! I'm not even saying Iverson is better. I'm saying Iverson is better scorer, Wade all around better but who I'd pick depends on teammates and system around them. When someone tried to say Iverson wasn't a better scorer or that Wade was light years better is what I had a problem with.

AI led his team to the finals, what has wade done

Um no dude.. just no. I didn't say only Wade got the treatment. I'm saying this era in general.. is MUCH different than 2001. Refs call every fu**ing bump a foul now even in playoff games. Reckless or not.. Iverson played in a much rougher era. Just like Jordan played in the toughest era of all time it DOES make a difference in production obviously. Do you know how good of paint enforcers/defenders prime Shaq, Mutombo, Ben Wallace and Theo Ratliff were? Imagine 4-5 Dwight Howard caliber bigs in the league that are allowed to be more physical with you?
    I understand this and it is a valid point, but I think Wade would have had similar success regardless. There were no big men that were going to stop Wade in any era. This goes for all truly great players. None of those big men, Ratliff, Mutombo, etc. were going to stop wade.

im a superhero

lol iverson was not a better scorer than wade.

wade is better at getting to the ring.
    better from midrange.
    equal from 3.
    better in the post.
    and better off the catch and shoot.

what makes iverson the better scorer? id love to hear the reasons for the people claiming so.

Quote Originally Posted by zay_24
    AI led his team to the finals, what has wade done
    Won one..

The Holy Trinity

Nice try. Wade's highest assist season was in 09 (7.5 apg) when he had neither Shaq nor LeBron. And in 07, before he got hurt after the all-star game, he was averaging 8 apg (along with 29 ppg) and Shaq missed half of the year-- basically, 80% of the games that were the ones Wade played.

This is Wade, and it's not in the least bit close. Fifty percent shooters are better than fourty percent shooters unless the 40% shooters do other things better. And Iverson does almost nothing better than Wade or even nearly as well.

You may compare Allen Iverson and Derrick Rose. Reserve Dwyane Wade for comparisons that are worthy of him, please.
    Last edited by jrong; 05-15-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Wade, he is not a team cancer.