Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: The case against Bill Russell as GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Maybe Boston won those 11 rings DESPITE Russell then? Can you imagine just how dominant the Celtics would have been with Walt Bellamy, a man who could score 30 ppg over the course of a season?

You also have to wonder how the Lakers won the title in the 71-72 season, with a center that could only score 14.8 ppg.
    True, TRUE!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Well not if you believe in the GHOST of GOAT Bill Russell. Guy is so mystical the NBA has magically whipped out all traces of his greatness so that we have no reality to base his greatness on. What are the odds of that? There are clips and even whole halfs in the playoffs that are quite embarrassing to watch as he looks, well, very unremarkable. While he was decimated on ocassion in the playoffs we are to believe was better in his decimation. He could win without being better and be the greatest without much on the ball skill. If winning covers a multitude of sins, Russell could be the devil and we are to have faith in him because he won.

I'm just saying.
    Lol did you just use the fact that we don't have a lot of footage on him as something to support your argument?

5-time NBA All-Star

That was just another example of the "anti-Wilt" slant by the media. I will be the first to admit that Wilt played that game seven tentitively. Some in the media claimed that Reed's last second appearance "intimidated" Wilt, but none other than Dick Schaap said that Chamberlain "eased up" on the hobbled Reed. Unfortunately for Wilt, he was often a "gentle giant", and in this case, it may have cost him a ring. Still, having watched that game, the Knicks just exploded that night, and I doubt a great performance by Chamberlain would have been enough.
    I have to agree that Wilt did ease off of him. He was like that, he was a compassionate guy. Not that he sucked afterwards or even played bad but it wasn't the second coming or the slew Goliath. Wilt played and he wasn't a factor. Frazier's game was stellar. I can't believe they still play that Reed coming out of the hall scene til today. LOL, he sucked after that entrance and that's my team.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Lol did you just use the fact that we don't have a lot of footage on him as something to support your argument?

Yes D Will, Grrreatness Footage. There is plenty of medicore footage? Why are you rolling your head tho. Are you keeping up?
    Last edited by Pointguard; 09-12-2010 at 08:26 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

I'm done with this topic. I'll just add one last comment...I guess all of those teammates, opposing players, coaches, and media were wrong back then. All they needed to do was look at the limited footage of Russell, and they would have been able to determine that his teammates were carrying him to 11 rings.

I'm done with this topic. I'll just add one last comment...I guess all of those teammates, opposing players, coaches, and media were wrong back then. All they needed to do was look at the limited footage of Russell, and they would have been able to determine that his teammates were carrying him to 11 rings.
    What a great point, if not for Russell's poor shooting, 13 of 13 would have been a lock.

5-time NBA All-Star

ROFL, well they certainly didn't see him carrying them. Unless of course you heard its a bird, its a plain, no wait its number 23.

If you are done or not done, it was/is indeed a great exchange. I never said he wasn't great and you have proved that much over again.

Touche' til we meet again.