Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default True or False: Flu Game is the Greatest Individual Playoff Performance Ever?

Magic's Starting at-Center Game is also up there with the Flu Game for me. Lebron's Game 6 in Boston, 2012 is also up there. I say true, but barely.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease PhutureDynasty's Avatar

Default Re: True or False: Flu Game is the Greatest Individual Playoff Performance Ever?

IMO it's not even Jordan's best playoff performance. That would be his 63 vs that stacked Celtics squad in 1986.

College superstar

Default Re: True or False: Flu Game is the Greatest Individual Playoff Performance Ever?

It's arguably not even the greatest flu game performance.

Isiah Thomas' sprained ankle 4th quarter game does not get the props it deserves.

Baylor 61 in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    Isiah Thomas' sprained ankle 4th quarter game does not get the props it deserves.
    Or his 16 in what 90 seconds.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

his best performance was "the shot" against the cavs imo...

he actually had to multiple game winners in that game because the cavs kept coming back and hitting a go-ahead shot, so he'd have to come back down and do it again... plus, he had put a ton of pressure on himself by guaranteeing a win in the media several times leading up to the game.

1998 Game 6 is right there - best peak-clutch performance ever... it's funny how all of jordan's peak performances in different categories come in the Finals and are goat.

63 vs. boston is up there because of the quality of team it was against, and it was in the Garden where the Celts had lost only 1 game all year.

55 in the Finals vs. Phoenix was particularly boss because of his DEMEANOR during the whole game - like, he was all business, but you could tell that it was easy for him.

the Flu Game was particularly remarkable because it was a comeback win - they looked dead in the water in the first half, down 17 - Lebron would have given up and his stans would have forgiven him....

The thing about Jordan, is that he would have a 40 point game every 1 in 5 playoff games (1 in 12 for Lebron... 1 in 10 for Kobe), so there are so many games to choose from... and he had EIGHT 50 point games in playoffs (none for bran).
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-11-2014 at 12:18 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Magic's Starting at-Center Game is also up there with the Flu Game for me. Lebron's Game 6 in Boston, 2012 is also up there. I say true, but barely.
    What do you mean greatest performance? May be for you. It's not his greatest performance as he was sick and below his actual paygrade. That would be 63pts vs boston in playoffs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c5terror
    What do you mean greatest performance? May be for you. It's not his greatest performance as he was sick and below his actual paygrade. That would be 63pts vs boston in playoffs.
    haha, that's a good point, how can it be his best performance when he was not 100% physically.

pretty awesome for having to half-ass it....

and they were dead in the water, down 17 in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, so the flu game was actually a comeback as well....

contrastingly, if he was down 17, lebron would have given up even with NO flu and 100% healthy and instead taken the opportunity to pad his stats... and his fans would have been okay with it... #realtalk
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-11-2014 at 12:37 AM.

College superstar

absolutley not. lebron's game 7 against the 2013 spurs is the greatest performance in modern nba history (dating back to the early 80s, where magic closed out the sixers without kareem).

^ #greatness

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Walt Frazier game 7 of the '70 Finals still the greatest performance I ever saw.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

False.

I don't even think it was Jordan's best postseason game either, or the best performance by a player with a flu/cold/sickness.

Bernard King was sick and had two dislocated fingers when he put up 44 against Detroit in game 5 of the first round. The same game Isiah had 16 Pts in 94 seconds. King averaged over 40 a game in that series.

Jordan had so many great postseason performances: 63 against Boston, a couple of 50 pointers in 88' against Cleveland, "The Shot" game in 89' against the Cavs when he had 44-9-6, a couple performances in the 89' ECSF against Knicks, game 3 against the Pistons in 89', a couple of performances in 90' against Philly and Detroit, Games 1 and 3 against Miami in 92', Game 2 of the 91' Finals, Game 1 and 5 of the 92' Finals, game 4 against NY and Phoenix in 93'....and that's just before his first retirement.

Magic Johnson in game 6 of the 80' Finals, Walt Frazier game 7 of the 70' Finals, Sleepy Floyd in game 4 of the 87' WCSF against LA (he scored 51 in the game, 29 in the 4th, and a lot of them on DPOY Michael Cooper). James Worthy's 36-16-10 in game 7 of the 88' Finals, Lebron's game 5 against Detroit in 2007, game 6 against Boston in the 12' ECF, Duncan's game 1 and 6 in the 03' Finals

This is off the top of my head. I wouldn't be able to come up with a definitive list. Too hard.

West had a 42/13/12 game 7 against Boston, even though the Lakers lost.

There's been lots of great individual playoff performances. Is the argument that Jordan's being sick makes it even greater?

Russell had a 30 point, 40 rebound game 7 in 1962.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

just wait til lebron pulls the Ebola Game next season