Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blu Ray

Default Re: ever use the finger roll or sky hook ?

floaters are much harder to master imo, finger roll is really easy to learn, just takes time like everything else

i dont even really know of any nba players that have a good floater, it's not really a go to move to me

plus, the finger roll being an underhand shot, its much easier to get it off imo, you can adjust in the air if you use a finger roll

i can take off, read the d, and adjust my finger roll accordingly, i can even pump fake my finger roll by delaying it a little bit, or even go up with my arm, then pull it back, go under the defenders arm/body and still get the finger roll off

you can't do that with a floater

What the hell is a floater? Is it like a teardrop of is it like a runner?

I have this move where I long jump and shoot the basketball off glass. Is that a floater?

which finger roll are we talking about? are we talking about a scoop finger roll or an actual finger roll being inches away fromt he rim?

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    floaters are much harder to master imo, finger roll is really easy to learn, just takes time like everything else

i dont even really know of any nba players that have a good floater, it's not really a go to move to me

plus, the finger roll being an underhand shot, its much easier to get it off imo, you can adjust in the air if you use a finger roll

i can take off, read the d, and adjust my finger roll accordingly, i can even pump fake my finger roll by delaying it a little bit, or even go up with my arm, then pull it back, go under the defenders arm/body and still get the finger roll off

you can't do that with a floater
    Tony Parker has a good floater... Mo Williams has a decent one. I think John Stockton had a great one but I can't remember. A lot of players use it, just not on a regular basis.

What the hell is a floater? Is it like a teardrop of is it like a runner?
    It's basically just like flip shot that you use to get the ball over taller players. Generally, it's quickly released and goes high in the air. A tear drop is the same thing... the term "tear drop" is used when it's a really high one (Like to get over Dwight Howard)... At least that's they way I have come to understand it.

which finger roll are we talking about? are we talking about a scoop finger roll or an actual finger roll being inches away fromt he rim?
    I was under the impression he was talking about the old George Gervin flip roll where it flips up high in the air... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5liYhD-ads Otherwise yea just a regular old finger roll is nothing special.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by halffttime
    i guess im talking about the scoop finger roll, but i use the "normal" one a lot as well

Blu Ray

yeah a lot of players have hit floaters, but you cant name a single one that uses it frequently

like i said, it's not a go to move

tony parker is the first that comes to mind, and he probably hits one, what, once a week at the most?

players barely use it, if at all

and they dont use the finger roll either

my impression is that people see a player hit one or two floaters and all of a sudden it's one of their go to moves and the floater is cemented into the players repertoire immediately and people argue: "dude has a sick floater!"

no they dont, not even close

i remember in the olympics, [maybe fiba in '06] some dude hit like 4 straight floaters against usa, thats the most ive ever seen anyone use it

floater is such a hard shot to control imo

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Isn't a floater Marion's go-to move?

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Isn't a floater Marion's go-to move?
    Yea he does that a lot... What's his face that rookie from Missouri... I think it's Carrol... that was his whole game. He didn't even have to elevate cus he had that floater. Kenyon Martin also uses a weird floater...except it's more of a line drive but it looks like a floater from the release.

i remember in the olympics, [maybe fiba in '06] some dude hit like 4 straight floaters against usa, thats the most ive ever seen anyone use it
    Yea that was the Spanish guy in the Gold Medal game. He was hittin floaters like there was no tomorrow.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yea that was the Spanish guy in the Gold Medal game. He was hittin floaters like there was no tomorrow.
    Yeah, I think so. Dude didn't get minutes all game, comes in with like 6 minutes left and starts dipping in floaters.

JCN? Though he could never get off his floater consistently when he played with the Grizz

Floaters are incredibly hard to control. I think the key is arc. Shawn Marion has this hook, floater that is automatic in they key and post.
    Back to finger rolls, there is nobody that scoops like Gervin. Nobody even does it anymore. But when I watched videos of him doing it, does that not make the ball much more vulnerable?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    Floaters are incredibly hard to control. I think the key is arc. Shawn Marion has this hook, floater that is automatic in they key and post.
    Back to finger rolls, there is nobody that scoops like Gervin. Nobody even does it anymore. But when I watched videos of him doing it, does that not make the ball much more vulnerable?
    Yea that's what I'm saying nobody does it like him... I can't understand why he developed that shot tho. I mean that had to just be natural cus yea you have to shoot that far away from the basket to get it over the bigs... and the percentage seems like it would be terrible.

Yea that's what I'm saying nobody does it like him... I can't understand why he developed that shot tho. I mean that had to just be natural cus yea you have to shoot that far away from the basket to get it over the bigs... and the percentage seems like it would be terrible.
    I don't like floaters. If they happen, it's by accident. IMO it's better to just UP n UNDER, or Eurostep, or fly in on them because if they go up with you it's usually a foul, and if they stay ground you should be posterizing them.

A floater over a defender and going hard to shoot on a defender are 2 different things, remember. The floater is usually that soft 1 hand shot with a high arc, usually released before contact/closing defenders

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    I don't like floaters. If they happen, it's by accident. IMO it's better to just UP n UNDER, or Eurostep, or fly in on them because if they go up with you it's usually a foul, and if they stay ground you should be posterizing them.

A floater over a defender and going hard to shoot on a defender are 2 different things, remember. The floater is usually that soft 1 hand shot with a high arc, usually released before contact/closing defenders
    Floaters have their place though. It will keep the defender off balanced, frustrate the hell out of them if you can make them (because there is nothing they can do) and they save energy. If you are always going hard to the basket it's going to wear on you a bit so a floater can be a nice alternative

Floaters have their place though. It will keep the defender off balanced, frustrate the hell out of them if you can make them (because there is nothing they can do) and they save energy. If you are always going hard to the basket it's going to wear on you a bit so a floater can be a nice alternative
    Yup, it's just another trick up your arsenal you can use. It's more for smaller players who needs to get off a quick shot over a larger defender if they are not athletic enough to do a up and under, etc. I would do it all day if I had it.