Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lookin' for some good ole folk music

Folk or bluegrass at least. I've been listening to a band called Old Crow Medicine Show a lot and they're already one of my favorite, but I don't know where or how to find bands with a similar sound or a folksy sound in general. Any help?

Banned

Default Re: Lookin' for some good ole folk music

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    Folk or bluegrass at least. I've been listening to a band called Old Crow Medicine Show a lot and they're already one of my favorite, but I don't know where or how to find bands with a similar sound or a folksy sound in general. Any help?

pandora.com

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vJUadjdmo is a f*cking fantastic song by old crow, apparently it was written by bob dylan.

check out Greg Brown's album "Down in there" (song "If I had known" is off the hinges)... check out the band Shame Train too.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YoungRich
    pandora.com
    great tip too, pandora's radio is fantastic for finding stuff within a genre you like, i love making crazy ass radio stations too by mixing up stuff like Mos Def, the Beatles, Otis Redding, and the Pharcyde. punch in the guys i gave you and old crow into pandora, you'll get a good mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vJUadjdmo is a f*cking fantastic song by old crow, apparently it was written by bob dylan.

check out Greg Brown's album "Down in there" (song "If I had known" is off the hinges)... check out the band Shame Train too.
    Good call on that Old Crow song, that's my favorite of theirs thus far and I'll definitely check out that album.

Some classics:
    Doc Watson - Deep River Blues
    Tony Rice - Home From The Forest
    Bill Monroe - Southern Flavour

European:
    Fairport Convention - Matty Groves
    Bert Jansch - Angie
    Sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject, but are those artists collections in general pretty good? I'm assuming they are since you posted songs in the first place but just double checking.

...and getting on the Pandora train is going on my to do list.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Check out Fleet Foxes. They are a new band with a retro folk sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-CEf...next=1&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfBq...eature=related

If you really want to get into blue grass. Bill Monroe is known as the founder of blue grass, so that's a pretty good place to start.

Fairport Convention is the most well know European folk group.

I would check those first.

Bert Jansch, Tony Rice and Doc Watson are some of the greatest/most influential folk guitar players. And yes, all their song collections are pretty good.

Well I've checked out a little of everything that's been suggested already and I like what I'm hearing. Reps for everyone! (though my rep isn't worth much)

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

For those talking about Old Crow Medicine Show, here's a cover of Wagon Wheel done by a guy who plays around here a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFrMLMiBfg

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

If you like Cat Stevens, you will undoubtedly like Fleet Foxes. Check my links above (especially the 2nd one).

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom

yeah, its not really a dylan song. just the chorus (from the pat garret and billy the kid movie). it is a great song

check out del mccoury band for soem ripping bluegrass (their album with steve earle is tight- the mountain). Of course, any flatt and scruggs, tony rice unit, david grisman quintet, new grass revival, bill monroe, jd crowe and the new south, country gentlemen. all bluegrass.

Bump this again and Ill keep posting names if you want. I am a huge bluegrass fan (that and 60s soul are my jams) and I also know a lot of folk if you want.

and **** pandora, its alright but not interactive enough and limited songs. try grooveshark.com. stream songs and create the playlist. pretty good selection.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    If you like Cat Stevens, you will undoubtedly like Fleet Foxes. Check my links above (especially the 2nd one).
    It's alright. The first one was better than the second. Vocals are decent, but it just sounds... different.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

if you havent check out OCMS's Alabama High-test? great song. they were on Austin City limits the other week. There are lots of new crossover jam grass bands, but also lots of young folks playing straightahead stuff as well. Check out Greensky Bluegrass (from my hometown, kzoo).