Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: List of High School or 1 and done players who flopped in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    There arent many straight to the league guys who just straight sucked. Most were decent to good and a higher rate were stars than when compared to people who went to school. Add in the 1 and dones? Harder to say. I could probably name all but 7-8 straight to the league players. Maybe more than that. Has to be a lot more freshmen to the league.
    Yes the straight to the league guys for the most part have been good but there's a reason for that. The reason is that they were so hyped and scouted that they were thought of as exceptional players. One and dones there are many more of them who weren't as good.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Yes the straight to the league guys for the most part have been good but there's a reason for that. The reason is that they were so hyped and scouted that they were thought of as exceptional players. One and dones there are many more of them who weren't as good.
    This is unavoidable. By the nature of the sport most freshmen, sophomores and seniors won't be pros. Sooner or later, the vast majority are weeded out. If all a guy cares about is making it to the NBA he should by all means check his draft prediction on the various websites and if he's predicted to make the first round, go pro. There may be a few coaches coaching his future pros with their NBA career in mind but there are tons of juniors and seniors that have NBA talent but some glaring weakness that must be remedied for them to have a lasting career. I don't see any reason to believe that the NCAA is better than the NBA at preparing a talented player for an NBA career. If a guy is only interested in being a pro and not interested in NCAA accomplishments or school the only question for them that needs to be answered is whether or not they're happy with their predicted draft position.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    This is unavoidable. By the nature of the sport most freshmen, sophomores and seniors won't be pros. Sooner or later, the vast majority are weeded out. If all a guy cares about is making it to the NBA he should by all means check his draft prediction on the various websites and if he's predicted to make the first round, go pro. There may be a few coaches coaching his future pros with their NBA career in mind but there are tons of juniors and seniors that have NBA talent but some glaring weakness that must be remedied for them to have a lasting career. I don't see any reason to believe that the NCAA is better than the NBA at preparing a talented player for an NBA career. If a guy is only interested in being a pro and not interested in NCAA accomplishments or school the only question for them that needs to be answered is whether or not they're happy with their predicted draft position.
    I don't think the NCAA is any better either. I would like to see something done but I'm not sure an age limit is the right idea. I don't have a solution but the status quo is producing a league full of guys who can't move without the ball and can't shoot and it makes the game shitty. Of course I'm generalizing. They have a d league and they should figure out what to do with it. Right now it's filled with guys who will never make it to the nba with the exception of about 5% and the rest of the league is crap. They should maybe think about doing what baseball does or something because whatever is happening is making basketball harder to watch each year.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

When you have such a small sample size, of course the percentage of busts is gonna be lower. If you have 20 players per draft that are 1 and done or straight from high school, odds are they are all going to be the most elite players coming out of high school, therefore having the best chance to succeed. If you had 40 of them per draft, the percentage of busts would go way up. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of white guys who stick in the NBA is higher than the percentage of blacks, because the sample size is so small, same concept though.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Korleone Young