Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default The Loss Chronicles

The Loss Chronicles. Honoring those that played valiantly in tough losses. Because how you lose is just as important as how you win.

1995 Kevin Johnson vs Rockets WCSF Game 7
    46 points, 10 assists
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 08-13-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Default Re: The Loss Chronicles

1965 EDF Game 7

30 points, 32 rebounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjYzeVZvRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDFppbQ2zM#t=2m32s

1966 EDF Game 5

46 points, 34 rebounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEdiptkyYsY#t=16m48s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmFG5bIb7Z4#t=21m26s

Christian Science Monitor - Apr 14, 1966

Wilt took 34 shots, hitting on 19. But he was only eight for 25 with his free throws. Chamberlain scored 46 points, no small since Russell played him tight and with a maximum amount of contact. But Wilt could have gone to 63 with Bill Sharman's touch at the foul line. Boston's cornermen excelled, not only, but also on offense. John Havlicek played the full 48 minutes and scored 32 points. Tom Sanders probably had his best game of the series with 11 points and 16 rebounds.

College superstar

Isiah Thomas- 41pts 8asts 56% fg
    score 25 points in the 3rd on a bad ankle.

Game 6 1988 Finals

Great idea/project. Looking forward to these vids, TJ.

Very good NBA starter

Kobe 2006/Game 6

50/8/5/3/67% TS

Bricking Jumpers

Hakeem Olajuwon 1987/WCSF Game 6:

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)

Local High School Star

Ray Allen
    51 points 5 boards 3 assists vs bulls game 6 09 playoffs

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by TAC602

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)
    49 and 26 rbs. Holy Jesus.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)
    NBA TV has been playing this game over the last week and watching it, I'll always be dumbfounded by why Hakeem couldn't average 25+ ppg until his 9th season in the league. His game was so complete even then. He looked flat out dominant in every way, but you look up his numbers, and he's toiling around 21-24 ppg on 50-51% shooting in the golden era of scoring. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe some Houston fan in here can explain me why Hakeem didn't hit his statistical peak until he hit 30.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Kobe 2006/Game 6

50/8/5/3/67% TS
    Are you ever not talking about Kobe Bryant?

Bricking Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    NBA TV has been playing this game over the last week and watching it, I'll always be dumbfounded by why Hakeem couldn't average 25+ ppg until his 9th season in the league. His game was so complete even then. He looked flat out dominant in every way, but you look up his numbers, and he's toiling around 21-24 ppg on 50-51% shooting in the golden era of scoring. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe some Houston fan in here can explain me why Hakeem didn't hit his statistical peak until he hit 30.
    Wish I had a definitive answer to that, but I didn't have much awareness in regards to the NBA during that time period compared to the multitude of memories and games seen and rewatched from the mid-90s under Rudy T so I won't play Mr. Know All.

Just looking at his career and the few handful of regular season games available, he had a competitive team around him until everybody started dropping like flies during the 1987 season followed by the hiring of Don Chaney a year later, who's approach to coaching was described as "low-key" and "one that puts the responsibility of performing on the players". The problem is that led to far too many ill advised outside shots from the perimeter scrubs when they should've been running that offense through Hakeem in the same way Rudy T utilized Olajuwon's offensive talents when he took over and had everybody fall in line, to great success. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean the amount of shots he was taking (although those increased as well) but just the number of possessions the ball is going through his hands in general. At the same time, he didn't appear to be anywhere near the passer or ball handler he was in the mid-90s.

It's a shame because it was during this time though that Olajuwon probably really hit his athletic and defensive peak as far as being active and taking up space; it was also when he won his rebounding titles. He wasn't as polished offensively, but he definitely knew what he was doing in the post.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    Are you ever not talking about Kobe Bryant?
    Yeah, I do talk about more than Bryant, but if I bother u why not put me on ignore? Instead of complaining like a lil bitch...

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Good ideas. I'm going to post the Hakeem (49 pts, 26 rebs) game and the Isiah explosion against the Lakers in 88 as a part of this. I want to put a little different spin on them, though. I'm going to show why the player should be highlighted but also show why his team lost. So instead of just showing Isiah hitting shot after shot, I'll also show how LA absorbed those blows and eventually won. So in a way, I'm honoring the player's effort as well as the team that won. (For example, look at the KJ video. You'll see plenty of Houston highlights.)

Got another one uploading now.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 08-09-2011 at 02:01 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

1998 Lakers vs Jazz Game 3 of the WCF

Shaquille O'Neal powered his way to 39 points and 15 rebounds, but got little help from his teammates in a 109-98 loss that put Utah up 3-0 in the best-of-seven series.

While O'Neal did everything he could to get the Lakers back in the series, Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel and the other Lakers shooters were missing in action most of the night.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...van+exel&hl=en

1998 Lakers vs Jazz game 4

Except for a poor Game 1, Shaquille o'neal was magnificent in defeat. And Sunday was no exception He scored 38 points despite foul trouble.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...8+points&hl=en

Malone, Jazz complete sweep despite Shaq's heroics

O'Neal had another outstanding game with 38 points, including 11 straight Lakers points down the stretch. He shot 14-of-24 from the field and 10-of-18 from the line. But he missed a pair of free throws with 27 seconds to play that could have cut the deficit to one point and was swept out of the playoffs for the fourth time in the last five seasons.

"They were a lot hungrier than we were and we just played very inconsistent," O'Neal said. "Guys just have to step up. They have to find out what's important to them. If they don't want to play, then they need to ask for a trade. If they don't want to play, then get off my team."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...akers_archive/

This was the series that supposedly led Shaq to ask LA to trade Nick Van Exel, the story is that Van Exel was talking about going on vacation in the team huddle during game 4(he shot 24% from the field in the series).

Wish I had a definitive answer to that, but I didn't have much awareness in regards to the NBA during that time period compared to the multitude of memories and games seen and rewatched from the mid-90s under Rudy T so I won't play Mr. Know All.

Just looking at his career and the few handful of regular season games available, he had a competitive team around him until everybody started dropping like flies during the 1987 season followed by the hiring of Don Chaney a year later, who's approach to coaching was described as "low-key" and "one that puts the responsibility of performing on the players". The problem is that led to far too many ill advised outside shots from the perimeter scrubs when they should've been running that offense through Hakeem in the same way Rudy T utilized Olajuwon's offensive talents when he took over and had everybody fall in line, to great success. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean the amount of shots he was taking (although those increased as well) but just the number of possessions the ball is going through his hands in general. At the same time, he didn't appear to be anywhere near the passer or ball handler he was in the mid-90s.

It's a shame because it was during this time though that Olajuwon probably really hit his athletic and defensive peak as far as being active and taking up space; it was also when he won his rebounding titles. He wasn't as polished offensively, but he definitely knew what he was doing in the post.
    Great post, I'm more knowledgeable on the Rudy T Rockets than the 80's Rockets as well, though I've seen a significant amount of twin tower era games, but I was also watching a lot of 1990 Rocket games not long ago and it seemed like their offense was really poorly run, Dream got doubled and tripled a lot as well, but they didn't capitalize on it like they did under Rudy T. He was already ridiculous skilled and you could see the fakes, the fade away, the face up game ect.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Barkley game 2 of 93 Finals: 42/13/4 67% TS

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...306110PHO.html

Dirk game 5 of 01 Conference Semifinals:

42 points 18 rebounds 2 assists 6 steals 1 block 66% TS

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...105140SAS.html