Thread: The Fear of 13

Default The Fear of 13

Pretty good documentary on Netflix. Guy spent 21 years on death row before being released.

Came into prison and couldn't read but became obsessed with bettering himself; now he's an amazing story teller and speaks like a scholar.

It's on Netflix. Worth the hour if you're feeling a good (and crazy) story.
    Last edited by UK2K; 08-27-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Default Re: The Fear of 13

I'll watch it. Will report back

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    I'll watch it. Will report back
    Eventually once he'd lost everything and became so frustrated with the process of appeals he ultimately requests an execution... it's a fascinating story.

If you're into crime shows or interesting stories, it's well worth the watch. Hit me right in the feels.

So good, I'm watching it again.

Really worth the watch.

I thought this was about the irrational fear of the number 13 lol. I work in the construction field and i often see many buildings without a 13th floor

Better be good.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    I thought this was about the irrational fear of the number 13 lol. I work in the construction field and i often see many buildings without a 13th floor
    I thought the same thing at first but my aunt put me onto it, and it was well worth it.

If you're into the whole crime/drama thing. It's literally the dude telling his 20 year story, but he's self educated and highly intelligent, I thought he was an actor for a while. His ability to tell a story was that good.

Gonna look for it

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Gonna look for it
    It's fantastic.

Even during the film... I was thinking "if I was this guy, I'd have given up a long time ago".

The amount of unfortunate shit that occurred that kept him in there was unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    I thought the same thing at first but my aunt put me onto it, and it was well worth it.

If you're into the whole crime/drama thing. It's literally the dude telling his 20 year story, but he's self educated and highly intelligent, I thought he was an actor for a while. His ability to tell a story was that good.
    I'll give it a watch Tomorrow. I'm a sucker for good stories.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Eventually once he'd lost everything and became so frustrated with the process of appeals he ultimately requests an execution... it's a fascinating story.

If you're into crime shows or interesting stories, it's well worth the watch. Hit me right in the feels.
    Did you just blow the ending?

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    Did you just blow the ending?
    It's a true story...

The ending was good, but the story telling was the frosting on the cake. Give it a watch... I was very impressed. The film flat out tells you he requests to die in the very beginning.

Almost makes you cry near the end.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I watched it quite a while ago. I thought it was good but not great. The guy is obviously smart, and he's gotta be a language student in prison, because he speaks in this almost poetic cadence. That I thought was really fascinating, and he has some pretty nutty incidents happen to him along the way, but I didn't think the story was so unique that I'd go nuts about it. If it weren't for the unique presentation, I'm not sure I would've been that impressed, other than a few specific moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I watched it quite a while ago. I thought it was good but not great. The guy is obviously smart, and he's gotta be a language student in prison, because he speaks in this almost poetic cadence. That I thought was really fascinating, and he has some pretty nutty incidents happen to him along the way, but I didn't think the story was so unique that I'd go nuts about it. If it weren't for the unique presentation, I'm not sure I would've been that impressed, other than a few specific moments.
    Good take. I was blown away by his ability to speak. It was almost mesmerizing.

But to come to the point where you've been fighting for freedom for 20 years, to the point where you request to be executed... heartbreaking. I couldn't imagine. But he said it clearly, when you've got nothing left to hope for, what reason do you have to continue living?

It's too bad you didn't find his story as fascinating as I did, but to each his own. A lot of what he spoke of, I could relate to. Being happy that his wife walked out of his life... very selfless act.