Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Andrew Bynum Playing 3-on-3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Well, you know, who knows, right? To me, it's a comedy. I hoped against hope for 1 year in Philly about this guy, and didn't believe other commentators who said Bynum and his agent were scamming Philly. Every week, we heard reports similar to this. "He's comin back, by month end, or before Christmas, or before Valentine's, for sure." Yeah, right.

The fact is there are many rumors about Bynum, and the worst rumors say his knees are done. We shall see.
    Listen, I'm not making any predictions when it comes to Bynum, either his with when he might play or how effective he will be when/if he gets back on the floor. Nothing would surprise me.

However, I am a bit surprised he is taking part in -- not just contact drills -- but competitive 3-on-3 practices already. I was thinking, best case, we'd see him in mid-December. Maybe that will still be the case, but based on the videos that have been released, he is looking pretty close to being ready.

The Cavs will not rush him back. They don't need to, with Varejao, Thompson, Zeller, Bennett, etc. in the frontcourt. If they're already saying he's close, I'm guessing he must be rounding himself into shape faster than the anticipate.

Now, there could be a setback tomorrow that might destroy all the work he's done, but he's been too good a player in the past to simply laugh off as a joke because of a missed season, imo.

I understand why Philly fans are skeptical and probably despise hm. He basically stole a paycheck and cost you some valuable pieces... But, at the end of the day, he was an elite player in 2012 (not long ago) and it looks like he might be getting close. That's a reason for some optimism for Cavs fans, while still keeping our guard up.

Oden is currently more advanced than Bynum. Bynum hasn't joined practice yet.
    Obviously Oden's past is more severe, but currently he is in a better position.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Minus the setback with the swelling knee.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Oden has already had a setback. Plus he hasn't played in, what? Three years? Anything you get out of him will be a bonus. I wouldn't expect much. Hell, we don't even know how good he was even before all the injuries.

Bynum is proven elite, he is just one season removed from his best year and he hasn't had a setback yet this offseason/preseason. Safe to say Bynum is in a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Oden has already had a setback. Plus he hasn't played in, what? Three years? Anything you get out of him will be a bonus. I wouldn't expect much. Hell, we don't even know how good he was even before all the injuries.

Bynum is proven elite, he is just one season removed from his best year and he hasn't had a setback yet this offseason/preseason. Safe to say Bynum is in a better place.
    Obviously I was referring to a better place in terms of health right now.
    One has been practicing for a while and playing 5 on 5.
    The other hasn't practiced at all.
    Oden had a very minor setback. He has mild swelling after 5 on 5 practice, typical of many players. Given his history, he was rested for a day.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Obviously I was referring to a better place in terms of health right now.
    One has been practicing for a while and playing 5 on 5.
    The other hasn't practiced at all.
    Oden had a very minor setback. He has mild swelling after 5 on 5 practice, typical of many players. Given his history, he was rested for a day.

Bynum has been practicing, he just hasn't been doing 5 on 5's.

but what you are saying is stupid for another reason; BOTH Bynum and Oden are at any given moment ready to go down for the season. It's almost completely irrelevant when discussing these guys' health to say who is gonna come back first. All that matters is who is going to be playing come playoff time.

The way this guy is being written off is sort of weird. It isn't uncommon for guys to sit out full seasons due to injuries. At the end of the day, he is one season removed from being a clear-cut top two center in the league.
    well its not just because he missed a year in philly, its because he has a pretty extensive injury history. he has had one productive, healthy season in his whole career.

He's already done more on-court work in Cleveland than he ever did in Philly. And, while he did sit out one season, he also had a history of getting back on the court after several injuries in LA.

The way this guy is being written off is sort of weird. It isn't uncommon for guys to sit out full seasons due to injuries. At the end of the day, he is one season removed from being a clear-cut top two center in the league.

Comparisons to Oden are dumb. That guy never had anything close to the season Bynum did in 2012. Nothing in the same stratosphere.
    I agree the Oden/Bynum comparisons are dumb bc Oden has not achieved anything close to what Bynum has in terms of team and personal achievement. But I think you are really underestimating the impact of taking a year off due to injury. And really, how common is it for guys to take a year off due to injury in their prime years? Sure its happened but its not common at all, it would be more uncommon than anything.

I dont think him playing only a few years ago really matters. What matters is what he is today, and his knees are much weaker than they were a couple of years ago due to injuries and surgeries. I like the optimism, but I dont really think its realistic to expect him to remain healthy and become the player he was.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Bynum has been practicing, he just hasn't been doing 5 on 5's.

but what you are saying is stupid for another reason; BOTH Bynum and Oden are at any given moment ready to go down for the season. It's almost completely irrelevant when discussing these guys' health to say who is gonna come back first. All that matters is who is going to be playing come playoff time.
    STFU

And no, Bynum hasn't been involved in a Cavs practice, read the first post dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Minus the setback with the swelling knee.
    dat setback

STFU

And no, Bynum hasn't been involved in a Cavs practice, read the first post dumbass.
    Damn, you were lurking for this time weren't you? F*cking Oden makes a dunk then 30 minutes later you find the GIF of it and post that shit with the quickness.