Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Default An "Assist" Used to Mean if the Scorer Caught the Pass and Immediately Scored

Does anyone know when this technical definition was changed?

Local High School Star

Default Re: An "Assist" Used to Mean if the Scorer Caught the Pass and Immediately Scored

Rondo Paul etc

Default Re: An "Assist" Used to Mean if the Scorer Caught the Pass and Immediately Scored

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    It was changed to try to elevate Lebron to all time great status, but even with the extra help, he didn't pan out

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    It was changed to try to elevate Lebron to all time great status, but even with the extra help, he didn't pan out

you're in every thread talking about lebron even when it's not about lebron

you keep trying to downplay lebron to prop up KD

you have a lebron avatar

insecure AF or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    you're in every thread talking about lebron even when it's not about lebron

you keep trying to downplay lebron to prop up KD

you have a lebron avatar

insecure AF or what?

I'm a Lebron fan, hence the av, I just tell it like I see it. Try being objective for once

I'm a Lebron fan, hence the av, I just tell it like I see it. Try being objective for once

Banned

Finally, a Lebron fan that deserves respect

It's very loose. You go back to the '50s and an assist was counted only when a player caught the ball and shot (with absolutely no step taken). This started to change in the mid to late '60s when score keepers started to be a little more loose with what actually constituted an assist. If you go back far enough there are several players/insiders/writers who bitch about Jerry West's assist numbers, especially later in his career.

yo your really obsessed with lebron

Banned

wtf @ biting 9er's gimmick

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    It's very loose. You go back to the '50s and an assist was counted only when a player caught the ball and shot (with absolutely no step taken). This started to change in the mid to late '60s when score keepers started to be a little more loose with what actually constituted an assist. If you go back far enough there are several players/insiders/writers who bitch about Jerry West's assist numbers, especially later in his career.
    Thank you so much for answering my question.

I was reading the recent Grantland article about the upcoming playoffs, and they mentioned how Noah compares to historical centers. Russell's assist numbers were deflated, although he already averaged 5 per game under the more stringent definition...

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Assist are incredibly overrated

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    LeBron GOAT, doe.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    A true Kobe fan

Only chucking matters.

Thank you so much for answering my question.

I was reading the recent Grantland article about the upcoming playoffs, and they mentioned how Noah compares to historical centers. Russell's assist numbers were deflated, although he already averaged 5 per game under the more stringent definition...
    I'm not sure I would take it that far. The guys who were really losing assist numbers during that era were players like Cousy and Guy Rodgers (and other guards of their ilk). I'm not sure how many assists a player like Russell (or Wilt for that matter) had taken away from them because most of the passes they had were situation where a shot was almost immediately put up. Chances are it would've effected a few but not enough to really make a large statistical difference. I also kind of take this track with someone like Oscar Robertson, who might have lost an assist here or there in transition, but worked so much with his back to the basket that he was hitting players in immediate scoring scenarios. I take any sort of complaining about assist numbers with a grain of salt from about the late '60s-on.

Thanks for the ScarJo gif, by the way.