Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Thoughts on Team USA after seeing them beat China on Aug.10

Quote Originally Posted by Cangri
    If I was the coach I would just alternate between CP3 and DWill, bench Kidd and only play him when the games are 20+ points in favor of USA(Kidd doesn't do crap, even the other teams don't care to defend him which leads to more double teaming on the other players). I would start every game with:
    DWill
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Bosh
    Howard
    who's gonna come in then when/if Bosh and Howard get in foul trouble or get tired

I think Team USA will be in trouble once they play a team that shoots the lights out, and don't turn the ball over. We all know the 3 point shot is huge in international basketball, and all it takes is a team getting hot to pull off the upset (like Lithuania in '04).

Also factoring in that outside shooting is not strong point of Team USA once again, they'll going to have some tough games against the stronger teams. Teams should play only zone against the US. Force the USA to be an outside shooting team, and they'll likely struggle.

No one will be surprised if Team USA wins gold, but I also won't be be surprised if they don't.

Personally, I like Spain.
    Last edited by Kujo; 08-11-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit
    Germany didn't play bad. They had a nice win vs. Angola, Dirk and Kaman scored at will.
    We'll see how US handles Angola.

I'm guessing they win by 40+.

Myrrh

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo
    No one will be surprised if Team USA wins gold, but I also won't be be surprised if they don't.
    Kujo lives in a state of constant non-surprise. Guy's seen it all anyway.

I usually hit open layups AlaskaBlzDuk's Avatar

China is in no way Spain... We need to keep our composure to make it through this thing on top

I think we can do it... just can't overlook anybody with the way everybody else has gotten so much better in all these years

ive watched all the powerhouses greece spain argentina lith

no one will have a chance to beat USA its true it is the Redeem Team i predict to win by 30+ each game

I usually hit open layups AlaskaBlzDuk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    ive watched all the powerhouses greece spain argentina lith

no one will have a chance to beat USA its true it is the Redeem Team i predict to win by 30+ each game

I sure hope so

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo
    I think Team USA will be in trouble once they play a team that shoots the lights out, and don't turn the ball over. We all know the 3 point shot is huge in international basketball, and all it takes is a team getting hot to pull off the upset (like Lithuania in '04).

Also factoring in that outside shooting is not strong point of Team USA once again, they'll going to have some tough games against the stronger teams. Teams should play only zone against the US. Force the USA to be an outside shooting team, and they'll likely struggle.

Personally, I like Spain.
    I think China was a warm up. For some reason I'm thinking the US team might loose concentration because it comes so easy for them , because quite frankly (like team China) there isn't a high skill level and weak after the first 5 players hit the floor.
    - - I think Bron and Wade you'll see become the focal point to this team, and demand from the rest of the team a urgency to play well when the games get more difficult in the next rounds.
    When they get there , I think there Defense will get better as well as outside shooting and play execution.
    Even this team doesn't want to peak until the later rounds.
    I like coach K's vision - keep bringing in guys in rotation with lots of hussle , to just burn the opponents out .

People who claimed that the US would have no trouble shooting from long range, you owe me money.

HeartHustleHope

My take on Team USA thus far:

Obviously the team is very, very talented and extremely athletic. I think generally the USA has the right blend of stars and 'role' players, but i do think there may be one too many stars and big egos for the team to reach it's full potential. However we must remember that the so called 'role' players are in fact star players on their respective teams, and also that Team USA could win the Olympics while not playing to their full potential. Both are stark indicators of the immense natural talent they posses.

With all the talent, athleticism and deep bench rotations Team USA have, complications and short-fallings may appear too. I believe there are three main problems that Team USA will or may face:

1. The Clash of the Ego's

When you have 4 superstar guard/wing type players who all average more than 20 ppg in the NBA playing on the same team. There are bound to be problems. Add in a few high scoring big's and Point guards and you're sure to have problems. While there have not been many obvious or public clashes yet, we have seen some minor examples; Melo's apparent 'freeze out', Kobe saying he wants only 5 or 6ppg while he seemingly takes the most shots on the team and way too many isolation plays.
    Surely when the game's get tough and glory is within reach, everyone will want to be the hero. This must mean that problems lie ahead?

2. A Championship team without a set play?

In both games so far, Team USA have not needed to run a single set play. While fast breaking and playing 'run and gun' style is great and entertaining. Great teams such as Spain and Argentina will not allow this. One of their guards will have the sense to hang back and stop an easy layup or dunk. I mean, those teams have some very good NBA players on it. They can play. Then can play a variety of defenses. I think that if Team USA's fast break is taken away, and they have not had enough practice at running plays, a team such as that will tear them apart. I watched Argentina demolish Australia with perfectly timed set play after perfectly timed set play. I think this non-organization of such is also to do with ego-clashes. Every man on Team USA wants to take him man one on one. How can that possibly work come the medal rounds?

HeartHustleHope

Cont.

3. Opponents familiarity with both themselves, Team USA's players and their style of play

The big teams players are all familiar with eachother and play together on a more consistent basis than that of Team USA. They know each other and each other's games. Also, many of the big team's players are currently plying their trade in the NBA, so therefore they are used to matching up with these American superstars. But, this team it's in FIBA rules; the rules they grew up with and know. Many of these big teams NBA players are stars. But they are stars with a difference. They share a common goal; to win. They will play as a team, not individuals. A team (of very very good players) will beat a group thrown together (of superstars playing as individuals).

For those reasons, i think Team USA will find things much harder than they think.

Please could anyone criticize my writing or give me any pointers. I want to be a sports writer when i'm older.