Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Is CP3 The Most Overrated Player?

Paul is just as much a number two in the playoffs as westbrook is.. Blake's been coming up. The team needs him to shine more than paul if they want to win..

Last year Durant was getting locked up, far from shining at all, and Westbrook stepped up as the best player on his team to get the thunder as far as they could go. He killed three straight matchups of all star or borderline all star level guards in conley-->chris paul-->tony parker.. so bad the tony had to be benched.

His size is a mismatch in any series against almost any point guard and he overwhlems/takes over games far more than paul does. Its not just that one series, Westbrook was better in the playoffs as a whole.. 20 games not 5 or 6.

The supporting cast argument needs to end. Chris Paul is playing on and has been playing on absolutely loaded teams. Monster rebounding and scoring frontcourts, couple good spot up shooters, and a 6th man of the year candidate off the bench.. with a coach who has great experience and has won before/proven himself.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I didnt say Paul has no supporting cast...I said Westbrook is a part of Kevin Durants. Thats just how it is. When the teams best player is a 32ppg MVP...you do not....never did...and never will...get credit for leading the team.

Durant will always get more credit and historical judgement off the Thunders winning and failing.

Paul gets hated on for the Clippers losing. Not Blake. It should be fairly obvious...the way you are blaming Paul right now....and not Blake.

Its Chris Pauls team.

The Thunder are Kevin Durants.

When Blake Griffin outscores and outshoots Chris Paul throughout the whole playoffs more than KD outscores and outshoots Westbrook.. and youre saying WB cant compare to Paul because he isnt enough of a first option, your argument isn't going to make any sense.

You want 30 examples of a point guard being his teams best player while not being the teams top scorer? I suspect I could give it to you off the top of my head.

Its not about first option...its about best player. Durant is both. Pointguards often do more playmaking than scoring. We really have to go into why that is? Westbrook is not one of those points...so his impact is often more visible in his scoring. Paul does it all....but has always been prone to pass first. Anyway....

Durant is the leagues MVP and probably one of the 20-25 best player ever.

The Thunder are his team. The Clippers are chris pauls.

I prefer to look at individual impact rather than arbitrary labels for defining whose better.. If I see westbrook outplaying Chris Paul Im not going to be like 'eh, hes just a second option though.. who cares if Russels playing defense on Chris.. and Chris is playing defense on russell, russel is winning this shit for his team, but eh.. just a second option'

Its like a false way of saying 'theres more help distracting the defense for westbrook than there is for paul'.. but we all know that isnt the case. Blake+ Deandre make defenses sink off the PnR and open up very wide lanes all the time with the threat of their finishing ability. The team is loaded.

I just dont see WB having an easier time because of his help more than paul does. They have equal tools to work with and both are HOF level players.

3-time NBA All-Star

Let westbrook have his own team and i bet he will do worse than iverson. 1 50+ win team in his career. Lol but but hes a superstar coz espn said so. Lol these gullible idiots

A lot of that we just arent seeing eye to eye on so im not gonna stretch this out forever. Im pretty content to know that virtually everyone of note...doesnt have a problem with the idea that Paul is the best point in the NBA. Not all agree....but its the general consensus. Fringe opinions are never gonna go away. I suspect the 70% of GMs saying Paul is about what most fans would line up with. It wouldnt be 80-90...but I doubt its 50/50 either. That said...something you said stood out...

who cares if Russels playing defense on Chris.. and Chris is playing defense on russell, russel is winning this shit for his team, but eh.. just a second option'
    Its amusing to me how often two guys being compared...ARENT defending eachother.

Of course they cross paths often....but its not so much like the Hakeem/Drob battles.

Guys on here talking about Lebron got owned by Leonard who at one point scored on lebron like 6 times over 3 games.

I watched Westbrooks highlights vs the Clippers maybe 45 minutes ago. Hes out there tipping in rebounds, scoring on the break vs nobody in particular, making open threes, and going by on pick and rolls like....everyone else.

Individual matchups barely even exist the way I was used to in the ISO and illegal defense era.

NBA sixth man of the year

I don't know how in the world CP3 is overrated...

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    A lot of that we just arent seeing eye to eye on so im not gonna stretch this out forever. Im pretty content to know that virtually everyone of note...doesnt have a problem with the idea that Paul is the best point in the NBA. Not all agree....but its the general consensus. Fringe opinions are never gonna go away. I suspect the 70% of GMs saying Paul is about what most fans would line up with. It wouldnt be 80-90...but I doubt its 50/50 either. That said...something you said stood out...

Its amusing to me how often two guys being compared...ARENT defending eachother.

Of course they cross paths often....but its not so much like the Hakeem/Drob battles.

Guys on here talking about Lebron got owned by Leonard who at one point scored on lebron like 6 times over 3 games.

I watched Westbrooks highlights vs the Clippers maybe 45 minutes ago. Hes out there tipping in rebounds, scoring on the break vs nobody in particular, making open threes, and going by on pick and rolls like....everyone else.

Individual matchups barely even exist the way I was used to in the ISO and illegal defense era.
    Yep, guys basically just run pick and rolls until the defense switches...Rarely do 2 guys actually match up against each other unless they're post players...

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Let westbrook have his own team and i bet he will do worse than iverson. 1 50+ win team in his career. Lol but but hes a superstar coz espn said so. Lol these gullible idiots
    Same as Oscar Robertson till he joined Kareem late in his career.

Same as a LOT of others in the hall of fame. Dave Bing pre role player on the Bullets days. Rather difficult to sting together 50 win seasons when....

In 02 the teams top 4 scorers missed a total of 97 games. They were 36-24 in the games AI started...even with the rest of the offense being in and out.

In 2000 his second leading scorer played just 32 games and Hill, Ratliff, and Huges missed chunks of the season(hughes missed 32 games ratliff 24). AI himself 12. And he still got them 49 wins. Healthy I can see 55 or more. But they still won a series.

In 03 his second best player was a 2 years from retirement Keith Vanhorn. But he led them to 48 wins and a playoff series win.

In 04 he missed 34 games, Glenn Robinson(his newest "sidekick to take pressure off him") missed 40 games, and they changed coaches. Team did nothing.

Then hes got straight role players top to bottom plus 21 games of Webber.

The only year they should have probably been better than they were...in his entire Philly run...is 2006.

He goes to Denver...one year Nene misses a chunk of the season and Melo gets in the fight in NY so hes out for a while suspended. 15 games I wanna say. Next season Nene misses the whole season. They win 50 games anyway. He comes back healthy the next year and they also add Birdman as Camby left and they win 4 more games so they play the Hornets in the first round instead of the Kobe/Gasol Lakers or Spurs who won the title that they got to play with AI. Anyone think Melo minus the suspension or Nene playing at all might help them win 3-4 more games?

AI got a lot of bad breaks. But we sweep them under the rug. When someone else gets judged at face value of the season we look into why. With Ai not doing so well...people act like its him.

When its Wade, Kobe, or most anyone else....we gotta look deeper. Ai? Judge it by the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Its no different than when people were saying Deron>paul because of head to head matchups.

It didnt work that way then...it doesnt now...it never will.
    It wasn't just internet basketball fans saying that back then. Here is the 2011-2012 GM survey...

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?

1. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 59.3%
    2. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 37.0%
    3. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City -- 3.7%

Last year: Deron Williams -- 50.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Last year: Deron Williams -- 50.0%
    Paul missed half of 2010 because of injury. Those predictions were before the 2011 season started i.e based on the 2010 season. Look at the GM surveys from when Paul was healthy...
    Last edited by Young X; 10-28-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Yea...pretty obvious why he lost that one. He came in second having played just 45 games.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Paul missed half of 2010 because of injury. Those predictions were before the 2011 season started i.e based on the 2010 season. Look at the GM surveys from when Paul was healthy...
    Got your years wrong. He posted for the year 2012.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    ESPN is about rank his has the #2 player in the league. Dude is constantly ranked in the top 3 or 5, but never does anything to deserve that rank. Got shit on by the Thunder last year with an really good team. Managed only 56 wins in '13 and '14 with a good team.
    Alltime?
    its kareem,
    today?
    Lebron