Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

Default If I was a GM, I would say **** your 1-year deals and player options...

I really hope this 1-year deals and 2-year with player option after year 1 doesn't become a trend.

I understand LeBron wanting to get as much money as possible, and that's fine.

But where do you draw the line?

Do you let KD do it? What about second tier (ie not top five players?)

If I was a GM, I would allow a superstar player to do this ONLY if he signed something agreeing that he would return to MY team with his new max contract. If he signed a one-year deal because he wanted to keep his options open while also making much more money, I'd tell him to **** off.

Default Re: If I was a GM, I would say **** your 1-year deals and player options...

I'm pretty this trend of short term contracts is directly related to the eventual cap raise. These guys are going to want a long term deal. It's inevitable.

Default Re: If I was a GM, I would say **** your 1-year deals and player options...

Ok do it, then have fun watching LeBron or Durant or whoever else does this leave. Watch them to go another team who will do it and watch that team become instant contenders.

Lebron is the Cavaliers. And the revenue he brings to the Cavaliers is unmatchable. If he wants to maximize his earnings in his last 5-6 years of his career so be it. Hes the best player in the world, he backs it up on the court, and rightfully should be paid maximum money .With him you're an instant favorite to win the east. With him you're guaranteed over 50 wins every regular season. No other player in the league has that impact.

I like the short deals. Makes the off-seasons more interesting.

And I bet owners and GM's like the short deals as well. You think they wanna give anyone a 5 year, GUARANTEED contract? As a GM, I'd rather go year to year, so if they get hurt or decline, I can drop them like a bad habit. If I do my job, and treat the star players right, then I shouldn't have to worry about them leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbrook0
    I really hope this 1-year deals and 2-year with player option after year 1 doesn't become a trend.

I understand LeBron wanting to get as much money as possible, and that's fine.

But where do you draw the line?

Do you let KD do it? What about second tier (ie not top five players?)

If I was a GM, I would allow a superstar player to do this ONLY if he signed something agreeing that he would return to MY team with his new max contract. If he signed a one-year deal because he wanted to keep his options open while also making much more money, I'd tell him to **** off.

This is all just a result of the TV deal and how it's going to affect the Cap. That's all. What it does, is it allows the player to opt out, and get more money. I think LeBron nearly 5Mil for opting out, with the new slight cap increase. They do the 1 year player option, just in case a guy gets injured or what not. Gives him a year to get back to form. It's smart. Anywhoo, it's only happening this year. Next year, we should see LeBron sign his 5 year max.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

You wouldn't have to worry about it. No decent player would ever join your shit franchise that you would have to consider such things.

The one year deals will last for about as long as it takes for some guy to pull a JPP during a 4th of July Fireworks display and all of a sudden, errrybody wants the security of long term contracts again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    The one year deals will last for about as long as it takes for some guy to pull a JPP during a 4th of July Fireworks display and all of a sudden, errrybody wants the security of long term contracts again.
    Itll last until the new cap comes in and no longer

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    And I bet owners and GM's like the short deals as well. You think they wanna give anyone a 5 year, GUARANTEED contract? As a GM, I'd rather go year to year, so if they get hurt or decline, I can drop them like a bad habit. If I do my job, and treat the star players right, then I shouldn't have to worry about them leaving.

This. Short term deals favor the team, they can cut ties with a player at anytime pretty much, its a big risk on the players part really.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    if i am the Pelicans GM, i cant handle drama of AD possibly get rob by LA or NYC every off season. I would lock this guy up as long as i can.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I wouldn't let a player manipulate my team...lebron. Also I wouldn't hand out max deals to "good" players, you would have to be consistently putting up max numbers for more than 1 season. Just because you had a good series in the playoffs doesn't warrant a near max. I know I wouldn't last but I wouldn't over pay or let players con me into max deals.

The owners locked out the players so they could get this system. It's what they wanted.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
    I'm pretty this trend of short term contracts is directly related to the eventual cap raise. These guys are going to want a long term deal. It's inevitable.

Yeah, and even at that it didn't happen nearly as much as was projected. Jimmy Butler didn't gamble. Or Kwahi. Or Deandre, or Aldridge, who may have been a touch to old.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Yeah, and even at that it didn't happen nearly as much as was projected. Jimmy Butler didn't gamble. Or Kwahi. Or Deandre, or Aldridge, who may have been a touch to old.

Yup. Only the guys with security from massive endorsement contracts like Bron and Durant can afford to take the risk. For most players, even the second tier stars, it is not a sensible option