Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

Default Re: Is OKC the only arena that prays before the game?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I love being American... except in embarrassing situations like this...

So I guess in OKC the Jewish, Islamics, Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus and other differing faiths/non-faiths who want to enjoy the game have to have it rudely interrupted by an arrogant Christian religious ceremony, is that how they roll in OKC?

It's not a strictly Christian-specific prayer, but it does imply that there is A God and that there is only ONE God, which I agree does alienate people of other faiths (or lacks thereof).

P.S. Forgot to mention that in the Thunder's season finale against the Nuggets, the guy saying the prayer prayed "for World Peace."

Everyone was like

I miss Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Westbrook0
    It's not a strictly Christian-specific prayer, but it does imply that there is A God and that there is only ONE God, which I agree does alienate people of other faiths (or lacks thereof).
    do you think they ever have people other than christians up there leading the prayer?

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    I miss Seattle
    So you miss the team being in Seattle because they didn't pray before the game? Nice logic there.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    do you think they ever have people other than christians up there leading the prayer?
    I've been to a lot of games, and every time I've been it's either a Christian-specific person, or someone who who doesn't have a particular religious affiliation but works for some humanitarian project or non-profit type thing.

I haven't ever seen someone give the invocation that was a leader of a different faith ie, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. But there might be.

P.S. Forgot to mention that in the Thunder's season finale against the Nuggets, the guy saying the prayer prayed "for World Peace."

Everyone was like

Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.

So you miss the team being in Seattle because they didn't pray before the game? Nice logic there.

Not necessarily because the OKC seem like bunch of religious snobs, but because Seattle actually had better fans.

You can argue all you want about how passionate you guys are with the "OKC" chants, but let's see how you fare when the team is struggling in the future.

Banned

It truly is a beautiful sight.

For he who believes in me shall be rewarded by having thy basketball team win many games

I've been to a lot of games, and every time I've been it's either a Christian-specific person, or someone who who doesn't have a particular religious affiliation but works for some humanitarian project or non-profit type thing.

I haven't ever seen someone give the invocation that was a leader of a different faith ie, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. But there might be.
    lmao this is such a cop out. Stop playing with words. You know damn well they won't ever have other religions praying out there.

Decent playground baller NastyCrossover1's Avatar

OKC will win the NBA championship and you all will know God is with them.

You can argue all you want about how passionate you guys are with the "OKC" chants, but let's see how you fare when the team is struggling in the future.

I LOVE when this argument comes up.

"Seattle had so much better fans than OKC because OKC fans have only been voted the best fans in the league and sold out every game while their team is either new or successful! I'm gonna go ahead and disregard the entire four-year sample size we have right now and just toss that out as impermissable evidence!"

lmao this is such a cop out. Stop playing with words. You know damn well they won't ever have other religions praying out there.
    No, I don't know that asshat. If I did know that, I would have said it.

I have no interest in trying to stick up for the prayer before the games. I don't give a shit whether they do it or not and I don't give a shit whether you think they should do it or not. I'm only able to tell of the games I've been to. So pull the f*cking stick out of your ass and go suck someone's dick.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    i dont think that is a very good metaphor for religious beliefs...

just the only arguement athiest believe.

this is a good read, not sure it really has to do with your post.... sorry, im not trying to start an arguement. this is just a good read

A University professor at a well known institution of higher learning challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?"

A student bravely replied, "Yes he did!"

"God created everything?" The professor asked.

"Yes sir, he certainly did," the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything; then God created evil. And, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then we can assume God is evil."

The student became quiet and did not answer the professor's hypothetical definition. The professor, quite pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "May I ask you a question, professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"

The other students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; and all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color.

You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily examples of man's Inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name - Albert Einstein

i dont know if einstein really said that though. i doubt it since his physics professor probly knows that cold, and darkness dont exist.
    Last edited by LBJMVP; 04-27-2012 at 11:50 PM.