Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Reggie Jacksons move to Detroit was career suicide.

Someone fire his agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Did Jennings die or something?
    Went the Kobe route.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Did Jennings die or something?
    I don't know what Jennings will become after tearing an Achilles. Dude could be washed up after this injury. SVG has already benched Jackson in favor of Dinwiddie down the stretch at times... I was big on him going into the draft as a sleeper, but dude's not good enough to be closing NBA games as a point guard yet.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Went the Kobe route.
    That shouldn't have made me laugh. Dang.

Banned

Went the Kobe route.
    Cold

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    I don't know what Jennings will become after tearing an Achilles. Dude could be washed up after this injury. SVG has already benched Jackson in favor of Dinwiddie down the stretch at times... I was big on him going into the draft as a sleeper, but dude's not good enough to be closing NBA games as a point guard yet.

Edit:
    That shouldn't have made me laugh. Dang.
    Not saying Reggie hasn't been bad in numerous spots so far, but just wanted to share that SVG has not hesitated to pull his point guards all year. Jennings and Augustin were also held out of some fourth quarters as well depending upon who was playing well or who wasn't putting up.

Tonight, Van Gundy said he pulled Jackson in part because he wasn't being aggressive but more so due to a loose ball he didn't go all out for that turned into a key Utah layup.

Reggie Jackson in Detroit so far: 15 ppg (37% from the field, 24% from three, 96% free throws) 7 assists, 3.1 turnovers.

I rule the local playground dontgetchoked's Avatar

DJ is small but he's better than jackson. I have no idea who was behind that trade but it was one of the worst this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Not saying Reggie hasn't been bad in numerous spots so far, but just wanted to share that SVG has not hesitated to pull his point guards all year. Jennings and Augustin were also held out of some fourth quarters as well depending upon who was playing well or who wasn't putting up.

Tonight, Van Gundy said he pulled Jackson in part because he wasn't being aggressive but more so due to a loose ball he didn't go all out for that turned into a key Utah layup.

Reggie Jackson in Detroit so far: 15 ppg (37% from the field, 24% from three, 96% free throws) 7 assists, 3.1 turnovers.
    Well he's at least passing the ball.

Good, Reggie deserves every pile of shit that is thrown at him.

Quote Originally Posted by dontgetchoked
    DJ is small but he's better than jackson. I have no idea who was behind that trade but it was one of the worst this season.
    Im not sure why DJ keeps moving around. Dude is solid everywhere he goes it seems. Maybe not starter quality, but clearly worth playing.

Decent college freshman

[/B]Not saying Reggie hasn't been bad in numerous spots so far, but just wanted to share that SVG has not hesitated to pull his point guards all year. Jennings and Augustin were also held out of some fourth quarters as well depending upon who was playing well or who wasn't putting up.[/B]

That's very true, I didn't consider that. It took him until Smith left, but Jennings at least turned the corner eventually.

Just kinda funny that he talked up Reggie being his franchise PG and yet right now Ish Smith (didn't he get waived to make room for Augustine in OKC?) has had better games as a 76er, with much less talent, than Jackson has in Detroit. He's been the worst PG of that whole trade/waive situation lol

On another note, I thought Tristan Thompson (supposedly) turning down $13M/annually was a bad decision...

NBA Superstar

Im not sure why DJ keeps moving around. Dude is solid everywhere he goes it seems. Maybe not starter quality, but clearly worth playing.
    I think that was the thought behind the Jackson move. From what I've heard from Van Gundy, he conveyed an understanding that a young point guard with potential wasn't necessarily just going to come out and say, "Y'know what? I want to sign with Detroit."

As such, when he had an opportunity to give up Augustin, who performed very well in Detroit but maybe didn't hit as a long-term solution, in return for a young athletic point guard with solid size and at least a touch of potential, he went for it.

I'm sure he would have preferred Jackson propelled them into the postseason but I'm guessing SVG also knew trading away so much of his shooting (Singler, Augustin, and Jerebko were three of the team's top three-point shooters) could have disastrous results short term.

I personally thought Jackson would be better than what I've seen so far, even though he's had some bursts of really good play here or there. But regarding the Pistons' drop, I really do think eliminating the bulk of the long-distance scoring from a Stan Van Gundy-led team was a deathblow. I'd guess Van Gundy feels he can find Singler and Jerebko-like players with relative ease in the offseason.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-15-2015 at 12:59 AM.

I think that was the thought behind the Jackson move. From what I've heard from Van Gundy, he conveyed an understanding that a young point guard with potential wasn't necessarily just going to come out and say, "Y'know what? I want to sign with Detroit."

As such, when he had an opportunity to give up Augustin, who performed very well in Detroit but maybe didn't hit as a long-term solution, in return for a young athletic point guard with solid size and at least a touch of potential, he went for it.

I'm sure he would have preferred Jackson propelled them into the postseason but I'm guessing SVG also knew trading away so much of his shooting (Singler, Augustin, and Jerebko were three of the team's top three-point shooters) could have disastrous results short term.

I personally thought Jackson would be better than what I've seen so far, even though he's had some bursts of really good play here or there. But regarding the Pistons' drop, I really do think eliminating the bulk of the long-distance scoring from a Stan Van Gundy-led team was a deathblow. I'd guess Van Gundy feels he can find Singler and Jerebko-like players with relative ease in the offseason.
    I just dont see the value in Reggie Jackson as a starter.

Im sure he doesnt now either.

NBA Superstar

It'll definitely be interesting to see where this one goes. I think less than a week ago, after Jackson had already been struggling, Van Gundy said something along the lines of "This isn't a tryout", insinuating that he's in it for the long haul with Jackson. Though, he could just as easily have been saying what he's supposed to, even if he didn't mean it.

I'm still in the dark with Jackson. I've been watching him in each game he's played in Detroit and in some contests his vision looks legit and in other games, I almost forget he's there. Not pumped about his seeming lack of a jump shot, I'll say that. But I'll still give him some time.

Decent college freshman

Another reason for why a coach shouldn't be a GM. Dude supposedly could have traded Smith to the Kings for expiring contracts over the summer. He wanted to give Smith a chance to play for him. Welp. Add this trade as a move that doesn't look too good.

I like SVG a lot too but I had my doubts if he could pull off building a roster and then coaching them up to a high level of play. Still early in his tenure but he's got his work cut out for him.

It'll definitely be interesting to see where this one goes. I think less than a week ago, after Jackson had already been struggling, Van Gundy said something along the lines of "This isn't a tryout", insinuating that he's in it for the long haul with Jackson. Though, he could just as easily have been saying what he's supposed to, even if he didn't mean it.

I'm still in the dark with Jackson. I've been watching him in each game he's played in Detroit and in some contests his vision looks legit and in other games, I almost forget he's there. Not pumped about his seeming lack of a jump shot, I'll say that. But I'll still give him some time.
    Oh, I think he will be a fine player....off the bench. Then again SVG changed Brandon Jennings. So it's too early to write off Reggie Jackson. Who will also be cheap...

This is a point guard dominated league. Cant run Reggie Jackson as a starter and expect much.