Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

[QUOTE]"Ultimately, we just couldn't reach a deal that both sides felt good about,

Burke traveled to Arizona to be with his team for Friday's first road game against the Suns, but he’ll just be an attentive observer again. The Jazz will also be without Marvin Williams (Achilles), Brandon Rush (knee), Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) and Andris Biedrins, although all will travel.

“It was definitely a bummer that I wasn’t out there,” Burke added, “but I’m looking forward to being out there.”

It’s still unknown how long Burke will be sidelined, but he was allowed to speak to reporters Thursday for the first time since having surgery on his fractured right index finger 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Instead of talking about his first game as a rookie, Burke explained the progress of his finger rehab the day after the 2013-14 season tipped off without him.

“Right now, I’m just trying to continue to get this strength back,” Burke said. “I’m almost there. I’m almost at a full fist.”

Though it was initially announced that Burke would be re-evaluated three weeks after his surgery, the point guard’s check-up will come a week later on Nov. 11.
    So he's already behind schedule.

It will then be determined how long it will take before he can resume basketball activity and full workouts.

Burke continues to wear a special splint at night and during some conditioning (not allowed to run yet), but he’s allowed to take it off the rest of the time.

This is his first injury since the 21-year-old suffered a hairline fracture in his knee in middle school, forcing him to miss two months.

“It’s really tough, but injuries happen. That’s what happens in sports,” Burke said. “This is my first real injury of my career. Obviously I had to learn to deal with not being out there with my teammates. I’m staying positive. I’m doing a good job of trying to get back out there as quick as possible.”

In the meantime, Burke will continue to sit, watch and learn. He picks the brain of Jazz player development coach Johnnie Bryant. He watches film, especially to study “what we need to do on the offensive end.”

Burke is trying to make the most of his downtime.

“Just try to basically (make) it like I’m out there, learn from the sidelines since I can’t be out there,” he said. “I’m trying to do a good job of being more of a student right now.”

Speaking of a student, this No. 3 smiled when told by a reporter that a young elementary school kid dressed up as Burke in a makeshift Jazz jersey with the playmaker’s name on the back during a school costume parade.

“That’s amazing,” the real Burke said. “It’s always great to see young kids with dreams wearing your jersey. I was that little kid (one) day.”

[QUOTE]Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin can

[QUOTE]Starting point guard John Lucas III echoed his coach on the turnover topic.

Harris has got to be celebrating clean(er) air, hamburgers, French fries and simply playing in the NBA.
    I'd be missing Chinese food myself.

[QUOTE]Against the Oklahoma City Thunder Wednesday, Harris dogged Kevin Durant as much as he could. Durant ran away with 42 points, but Durant earned those points and faced continual challenges on his shots. Harris used his six fouls effectively, adding 13 points and two steals.

Unfortunately, Durant went to the dang-I-got-one-up-on-the-defense line 24 times and hit 22 of those freebies, converting 91.7 percent of his free throws. Durant is too good to go to the line that many times. When NBA referees are charged with the duty of protecting superstars, and when a young team plays one such star hard, the star will go to the line and will go often.

Durant makes his free throws, however. This why hack-a-Shaq worked and why hack-a-Durant doesn

Jazz at Suns

O At USAirways Center (Phoenix)

Tipoff

Mike Harris sat with coach Ty Corbin in the Jazz

[QUOTE]The Jazz could use some help from Brandon Rush & Marvin Williams.

I

After failing to reach an agreement on a rookie contract extension before Thursday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline, talented young forward Gordon Hayward will enter restricted free agency next summer, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Also, the Phoenix Suns and Eric Bledsoe were unable to come to an agreement on a rookie contract extension, and the young point guard will join fellow 2010 draft class members Hayward and Detroit Pistons forward Greg Monroe as three of the most prominent players in July's restricted free agency period. Yahoo! Sports

Utah general manager Dennis Lindsey and Hayward's agent Mark Bartelstein had been seriously trading proposals for the past week, but couldn't come to terms on an extension, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

Marc Stein: Extension deadline officially passes w/no deal for Utah's Gordon Hayward. Sides were negotiating 4-year deal, sources say, but no agreement Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein: League sources sat Hayward was NOT seeking four-year max but parties couldn't close gap even after Jazz CEO Greg Miller spoke optimistically Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Despite being in active negotiations up until the Thursday night deadline, Gordon Hayward and the Utah Jazz failed to close the gap on the framework of a contract extension and never discussed a five-year, maximum-level deal, league sources told RealGM. RealGM

The sides never came close on a deal, remaining several million dollars apart, league sources told Yahoo. Hayward had been seeking a deal in the four-year, $50-million plus range, sources said. Hayward will have significant interest on the market next summer and could command a deal in that range. Nevertheless, the Jazz can match an offer sheet and keep Hayward, which is the likely scenario. Yahoo! Sports

Bartelstein was quick to compliment the Jazz for their handling of the negotiations, and dispelled any notion that this is a sign that Hayward is looking to head elsewhere. "The main thing is that the Jazz put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into wanting to get something done, and we put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to get it done," Bartelstein said. "It was not due to a lack of trying. That's for sure. There was a lot of time and a lot of energy spent the last few months in working at it, but sometimes you just can't come up with something that both sides feel good about. That doesn't change at all

[QUOTE]Our four young kids played strong games. Hayward equaled his career high in rebounds and assists. Favors had a career high 17 rebounds. Kanter had a 20-10 with 10 offensive rebounds. Burks had a terrific rhythm to his game in the 2nd half. However, they don

"I wish it could have happened," Hayward said. "[But] this in no way changes the way I feel about Utah at all. I love being here, love playing for them." Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said, "Time and circumstances dictated that this deal will get done at a later date," adding that Hayward "will be a leader of our team for a long time." "He

Jody Genessy: Lindsey: "I've been reading and hearing opinions. One thing that we want to make clear: Gordon Hayward is a valued member of the Utah Jazz." Twitter @DJJazzyJody
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 11-02-2013 at 04:47 AM.

ody Genessy: Gordon Hayward after not reaching extension agreement with Jazz at deadline: "Hopefully it will get worked out next summer."

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

[QUOTE]Hornacek joked with familiar faces from Utah before the game. Prior to tipoff, the beloved member of the Jazz family, as an NBA Finals-era player and coach, gushed about the guys he used to help oversee.

The Jazz core?

Alec Burks needs some help in that second unit. He scored 15 after going off for 24 on Wednesday. He even hit a few from outside, which he struggled to do agains the Thunder. But his fellow reserves only mustered five points combined. Ian Clark looked tentative in his NBA debut and Mike Harris fell back to earth some, as he went scoreless. The Jazz are going to look significantly different in this department once Trey Burke, Marvin Williams and Brandon Rush are able to return.
    I love how Marvin doesn't suck anymore!