Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default ESPN Article: Bulls record raises questions about Derrick Rose's 2011 MVP award

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/s...ssues-2011-mvp

Just over a year ago, my colleague John Hollinger wrote a piece making the statistical argument that Derrick Rose should not be the league's MVP. (Insiders can still read it here.) Needless to say, he ticked off a lot of Bulls fans who celebrated Chicago's best-in-the-league record (the Bulls finished a game better than San Antonio last season) and Rose's coronation as the NBA Most Valuable Player two months later. Some argued with Hollinger during one of his chats, and that chat ended up on other blogs, such as SB Nation.

This year, Rose has missed more than a third of the season because of injury, and the Bulls again have the best record in the league. So I wonder if those irritated fans are having any second thoughts yet.

Default Re: ESPN Article: Bulls record raises questions about Derrick Rose's 2011 MVP award

Great, now Rose is going to win it again.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: ESPN Article: Bulls record raises questions about Derrick Rose's 2011 MVP award

Banned

Just a shitty unknown ESPN writer trying to make a name for himself by creating some buzz. Nothing to see her folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu
    Just a shitty unknown ESPN writer trying to make a name for himself by creating some buzz. Nothing to see her folks.
    There is great stats behind his argument. Learn.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    There is great stats behind his argument. Learn.
    No, not really.

I literally stopped reading when I saw this..

"John Hollinger"

...I don't even know what the article is, but I'm guessing it has to do with stats or something.

College superstar

That's interesting since PER says Rose is the best on the team by a significant margin. Under PER more shots = higher rating, which is why it's garbage and pretty laughable. But it is true that Rose is overrated, so it's a twofer.

i hate hearing ignorant people say stuff that is false. look at the bulls record with and without rose this season. 15-7 29-6. is that enough proof for you that he has a major impact on this team? what about last year when he produced 28.5 and 7 assists against the top 6 teams in the nba.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN article
    I know there are things a player such as Rose does that stats don't reveal and the TV cameras don't catch...
    wait what, there's things in the NBA that can't be measured solely by stats? I never would have guessed given this stat-centric age of sports

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

It makes you stop and question it, but ultimately it teams can pull together even when they miss their star. Look at the 1993-94 Bulls without Jordan. A similar argument could be made that Jordan is overrated because that team didn't have a huge dip in its record, but we all know the difference is between the two teams is larger than the record shows. Likewise, it is just stupid to think the Bulls are just as good without Rose just because the record is still good.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Rose's presence makes a very good team great. I've never viewed him as the best player in the league but his selection wasn't awful. I don't think there's a case in the game today where a team goes from contending for a championship to non-playoff team like we had when James was in Cleveland. Closest would be Orlando being a non-playoff team sans Dwight Howard. With him they're a solid playoff team but not elite, and he's certainly not looked like a leader this season.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    i hate hearing ignorant people say stuff that is false. look at the bulls record with and without rose this season. 15-7 29-6. is that enough proof for you that he has a major impact on this team? what about last year when he produced 28.5 and 7 assists against the top 6 teams in the nba.
    Hit the nail on the head...

I don't know in what world is 15-7>29-6.

/thread

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

He shouldn't have won it. Simple as that. Should have been either LeBron or Dwight. Rose's supporting cast is EASILY the best in the league. An All-Star in Deng, the best defensive front-court in the NBA, great shooting off the bench and the best defense in the NBA. Oh yeah, his coach isn't that bad either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Why do you keep posting that same gif? Just wondering..