Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default After resting starters, Kerr emails irked fans

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...sting-starters
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    AKLAND, Calif. -- Steve Kerr took time to email back three disappointed fans who were upset the Golden State coach rested his regulars Friday night at Denver before playing Saturday at home against New York.

"There's two really good sides to the story," Kerr said. "Nobody's wrong here. ... I can't argue with them."

One of the emails Kerr received was from a family that drove from South Dakota to the Mile High City with high hopes of seeing All-Stars Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson lead the Western Conference's top team. Instead, those two rested along with center Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala.

Kerr also received a "couple of catcalls, a couple boos during the introductions" from the stands. He hadn't heard anything from the league about his decision Saturday, when Golden State played its fifth game in seven days, with two of those having been away.

"I heard from some fans. I received a few emails, stories about driving in from a long distance off and spending a lot of money on tickets," Kerr said. "I have great sympathy for those people. I really do. It's a tricky one. It's something that I think Adam Silver is trying to address through the scheduling shuffling that he's talking about.

"It's real important, because our fans deserve to see the best product out there. If somebody spends a lot of money, they deserve to see the best players, the guy that they came to see. On the other hand, as coaches we have to do what's best to prepare our teams for a really long year."

Kerr still would prefer to start the season 10-12 days early around Oct. 20, cutting down on the eight preseason games and month of training camp. He also noted that in every other sport, players get days off.

Golden State had its five-game winning streak snapped in the 114-103 loss to the Nuggets, then returned home to begin a six-game stretch at Oracle Arena. Even Denver heard from angry fans on Twitter, such as one father who rented a suite for his son's birthday because the boy loved Curry & Co. By the second half, he had turned his attention to cheering for the Nuggets.

Kerr -- who noted the rest was as much mental as physical -- made a point to respond to the fans via email, and one who received a nice note got back in touch with the Warriors to let them know how surprised and appreciative he was to hear from the first-year coach.

"He's great. He's very engaging. He's a normal guy," Bogut said of Kerr's gesture. "We're definitely not used to that in a head coach."

Bogut understands that kids might have one chance -- one ticket all season -- to see an NBA game live, and that they'd want to see the best matchups.

But Kerr is preparing his team to be fresh come playoff time for what the franchise hopes is a deep run.

"It's tough, if I was a kid and had one ticket to go to and guys rested," Bogut said. "It's just a part of the grueling NBA season. It's unfortunate for the fans who were a little [ticked] off by it, but we have aspirations to go deep in the playoffs and to get to the end, we have to do what's best for our side."

Default Re: After resting starters, Kerr emails irked fans

The nba has been going through a resting revolution these past few years. I've never seen anything like it. Popovich, what have you done.

Can't wait till OKC knocks em out, and gives em an offseason of rest

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Can't wait till OKC knocks em out, and gives em an offseason of rest
    Not even in the playoffs yet.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

So much demand for these guys. One game off and all hell breaks loose...that's why they get the big bucks I guess.

Pathetic. Players in their prime woulf never miss due to rest bunch pusssiees in this league. Light skin fgts

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Rests his players vs Denver, so that he can be ready for the Knicks.
    Typical.

They're a second round team at best anyway.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

There is absolutely no reason to bench a 27 and 25 year old for rest. Bogut I could see yeah, but those other 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Rests his players vs Denver, so that he can be ready for the Knicks.
    Typical.

They're a second round team at best anyway.
    Butthurt Knicks fan

Explain to me why they're a second round exit at best. This should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    There is absolutely no reason to bench a 27 and 25 year old for rest. Bogut I could see yeah, but those other 2?
    Warriors are trying to put together a 100+ game season, they all need rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Butthurt Knicks fan

Explain to me why they're a second round exit at best. This should be good.

Usual weakness for jump shooting teams in playoffs. No interior presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Usual weakness for jump shooting teams in playoffs. No interior presence.
    Um... Golden State has the best defense in the league. They're fine.

Seriously, butthurt Knick fans shouldn't be commenting on anything anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Um... Golden State has the best defense in the league. They're fine.

Seriously, butthurt Knick fans shouldn't be commenting on anything anywhere.
    I could really give 2 shits about GS. Just commented how it's funny that Kerr rested his starters to prepare for the Knicks. He could have rested his starters tonight and still won the game easily.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Is it really that hard playing a 82 game schedule? Put it in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    So much demand for these guys. One game off and all hell breaks loose...that's why they get the big bucks I guess.
    To be fair, would you want your teams stars to last minute be pulled for "rest" on the day you paid good money to get some tickets?