Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Cp3 vs the Stock

At their best, CP3, and I don't think its even that close. But for a whole career, most likely Stockton depending on how long CP3 lasts and stays healthy. Stockton was durable and played long as ****. There's a lot of players I would take over Stockton at their best, but its his longevity that's ridiculous. For example, if CP3's career ended in the next few years and he continued to play at this level, I'd take Stockton's career over him. But I'd take CP3's 9 season career thus far over any 9 year span of Stockton's career.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Am I the only one taken back with the nickname "the Stock"? I have honestly never heard anyone refer to Stockton as that before. Stock, sure. The Stock?

Very good NBA starter

Based on pure abiliy would you guys take stockton over Zeke thomas?

CP3 is carbon copy of Thomas as a PG. I consider them pure PG's with the special ability to score like a first option.

A deep playoff run over the next 3 years will have CP3 in a different light. I do think he does everything better than Stockton other than hit 3's and pass( he's like a half step below in passing)

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce

CP3 is carbon copy of Thomas as a PG. I consider them pure PG's with the special ability to score like a first option.

A deep playoff run over the next 3 years will have CP3 in a different light. I do think he does everything better than Stockton other than hit 3's and pass( he's like a half step below in passing)
    Do you think CP3 is a better defender than Stockton?

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    At their best, CP3, and I don't think its even that close. But for a whole career, most likely Stockton depending on how long CP3 lasts and stays healthy. Stockton was durable and played long as ****. There's a lot of players I would take over Stockton at their best, but its his longevity that's ridiculous. For example, if CP3's career ended in the next few years and he continued to play at this level, I'd take Stockton's career over him. But I'd take CP3's 9 season career thus far over any 9 year span of Stockton's career.
    Couldn't have said it any better sir! And GOAT wise is the most important list as u have alluded to. And Stock had an epic career. Anytime u lead the L ALL TIME in two key statistics, that's sick shit! So it remains to be seen if CP3 will rank over Stock. But it appears CP3 will be at least a top 10 GOAT kind of PG.
    Last edited by bizil; 01-11-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    Stockton. He actually can make a deep playoff run.
    But look at the talent Stock had to play with! Stock had the Mailman, the GOAT PF until Duncan took the crown. Hornacek was a underrated All Star kind of guard. The Jazz also had role players that fit their system great. Paul is just now starting to get the pieces in place in LAC. Give him time shit!
    Last edited by bizil; 01-11-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce

Right on the money sir! CP3 and Zeke are for sure very similar. And it's very special to be a pure PG who can score like a first option. U can literally dictate a game in such an epic manner when u can do that. For bigger PG's, Magic and Big O did it awesome as well. Nash, Tiny, Frazier, and Payton were great at it to. But the best in my book at it are Magic, Big O, Isiah, and Paul!
    Last edited by bizil; 01-11-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Banned

People keep pretending like Stockton is almost entirely career based when his APG and a/t ratio is the GOAT. I will never understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    But look at the talent Stock had to play with! Stock had the Mailman, the GOAT PF until Duncan took the crown. Hornacek was a underrated All Star kind of guard. The Jazz also had role players that fit their system great. Paul is just now starting to the pieces in place in LAC. Give him time shit!
    Then this thread is moot. How are we supposed to compare Stockton and CP3 right now then? We can only go by the facts that are presented to us. CP3 might lead a team to a title, or he might never lead a team to a WCF. We don't know that. As it stands right now, Stock has the better numbers and accolades.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Stockton was smarter and better floor general, better defender, much more efficient scorer, mentally tough as nails.

CP3 does better two things - scores a bit more points at a lower efficiency, and is a bit better rebounder, at everything else he is inferior to Stock. Mentally its not even comparable, Stockton would be ashamed to be such flopping drama queen as CP3.

Also CP3 hardly has "alpha mentality", and in a team with Malone he would be a second banana in any case. How would Stockton do as the best player on the team we will never know, therefore its irrational to discard possibility he would be decent at it, especially considering his high BBIQ and toughness.
    Are u insane!! Paul CLEARLY is a pure PG with alpha dog level scoring capabilities. Secondly, just because u r a second option (or on deep ass teams a third option) DOESN'T mean u aren't alpha dog level material! James Harden is proving that now in Houston!! And on a team with Mailman, why would Paul be the leading scorer anyway? His main priority is to be a quarterback and then DOMINATE scoring when it's needed. Stock could NEVER do that for Malone the way a Paul or Isiah could!

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Then this thread is moot. How are we supposed to compare Stockton and CP3 right now then? We can only go by the facts that are presented to us. CP3 might lead a team to a title, or he might never lead a team to a WCF. We don't know that. As it stands right now, Stock has the better numbers and accolades.
    I'm no fool!! GOAT wise Stock is clearly better! But in terms of who I feel is the better player peak value wise, I think Paul is the better player. It's two different criteria. People are comparing Stockton's peak to what Paul current value is as a player. Not accomplishments or anything else. Just simply who is the better player in terms of what the bring talent wise. For example, Reggie Miller ranks higher than T-Mac on a GOAT list. But in terms of who flat out was the better player peak value wise, its T-Mac CLEARLY! U have GOAT criteria and peak value criteria. If u are true sports fan, u SHOULD know the difference!! As soon as the question was posed, I knew the OP meant in terms of peak value and not GOAT shit!
    Last edited by bizil; 01-11-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I'm no fool!! GOAT wise Stock is clearly better! But in terms of who I feel is the better player peak value wise, I think Paul is the better player. It's two different criteria.
    Btw, your avatar

The biggest difference between them is CP's scoring and rebounding ability, in every other facet they're comparable. If you look at it objectively, CP's clearly a better all around player.