Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The only people who hate playing with a Kobe bryant type of player are..

People who want to shine individually.Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that you have to dominate the ball to be a superstar.People like Kobe, Melo, and LeBron win way more than they lose. So shut up when you play pick up basketball with a "that guy" who chucks and wins.Would you rather get 5 shots and win with Kobe type of player or get 10 shots and lose with a Andre Iguodala player who loses because he wants to be a good teammate.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Re: The only people who hate playing with a Kobe bryant type of player are..

Kobe didn't even go to Shaq's wedding. None of his teammates went to Kobe's daughter's birthday party because he never supported the team off court. That's a huge part of being a teammate. Why aren't quality free agents lining up to play with Kobe?

Default Re: The only people who hate playing with a Kobe bryant type of player are..

Getting a chance to showcase your talents in order to get a bigger future contract while losing > playing with a ball hog who only worries about his stats while winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Getting a chance to showcase your talents in order to get a bigger future contract while losing > playing with a ball hog who only worries about his stats while winning.
    so its ok to play for stats as long as its you doing it

NBA Superstar

In my life experiences, I have played with a few guys who had a playing style similar to Kobe Bryant. In one instance, in a rec league, I played alongside a guy who was clearly the number one option every time down the floor. He was an excellent player in comparison to his competition.

In our first game, he dropped a pretty easy 48 in an overtime win, seemingly taking 80% of our team's shot attempts in the process. Most of the game was him dribbling down the floor, getting to the elbow & pulling up, or pump-faking for a better look or using the mid-range threat to open up the lane for himself.

I think the overall issue has to do with maximum team efficiency. Teams can win when a player like that dominates the ball all the time and takes the vast majority of shots. But I believe the question would then be, is that team winning as much as they could? I think the answer is sometimes yes, many times no.

As good as my teammate was and as great of an individual performance he put on, his ball dominance inadvertently led to the freezing out of his four other teammates. It can be difficult for players to succeed offensively when they see just one shot attempt per half. This can create an issue when a defense inevitably begins trying to focus efforts on the star. I remember my teammate shooting over double teams and finally, after firing me a pass out of a triple team, I missed the one look I saw all half and it seemed to perpetuate his thought of, "I gotta do this all on my own."

Interestingly enough, as much as I liked our star player (he was seven years my elder and actually trained me as I came through the ranks), once he suffered a shoulder injury, our team really began clicking, as all talented players began contributing more evenly, creating a more dangerous unit altogether. Before, it often took a star performance from our guy to win, because he kind of made it that way. Sometimes I feel that can be a necessity (if a team is truly lacking in talent). Other times, I believe it can be a detriment and limit the skills and abilities of those surrounding a star, thus resulting in reduced team efficiency.

This will only perpetuate the ol' back-and-forth everyone always likes to have here, but I much prefer playing with a star who's always looking to make the right play as opposed to the star who's always looking to score at any cost all the time no matter what.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-20-2014 at 11:33 AM.

How about I play with a guy like Tim Duncan, get my shots, and win at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    so its ok to play for stats as long as its you doing it
    There's a way to play for stats w/o being a ballhogging chucker.

People who don't want to play with Kobe= people who enjoy contributing on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    People who don't want to play with Kobe= people who enjoy contributing on offense.
    Some of us like winning no matter what even if it means winning with a chucker > contributing and losing
    Being Derek Fisher > Being Josh Smith

NBA Legend

Iggy > Kobe

Deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Iggy > Kobe

Deal with it
    I was just waiting for someone to admit they would rather play with iggy over kobe
    You can't win and have fun its impossible a lot of ppl on this site deep down inside would rather have fun on a losing team than to be a derek fisher type of player on a winning team

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    Some of us like winning no matter what even if it means winning with a chucker > contributing and losing
    Being Derek Fisher > Being Josh Smith
    Who is "us", you're a baller now kid?

Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    Who is "us", you're a baller now kid?
    I hate trolls

Golden State Aster*sks

Let's be real here, 95% of the league doesn't want to play with Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Taller than CP3
    Let's be real here, 95% of the league doesn't want to play with Kobe.
    You really believe this...........you really believe if they asked every nba player "we can add kobe bryant to your team right now scott free" 95% would say no...